This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Hand cars vs Right Hand Cars

Im from england so all our cars are right hand drive, like japan. but I was just wondering what side the accelerator is on american cars?

With us the accelerator is on the right, so if we want to show off and put our leg out the door then its pritty hard cuz we have to change feet. But is it also right on american cars? so when you put ure foot out the door its your left one and, well, really easy to put your foot out the door? so basically cheating? :P

Yeh, our accelerator is on the right just like yours. It would be too expensive for manufacturers to produce different sets.

Comment

yup...on the right side over here, same as over there. i couldnt even imagine driving with the accelerator on the left...ide get confused.

Comment

Left side drivers drift better than Right side driver cars...

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
          Left side drivers drift better than Right side driver cars...
          You know that's not true though...

Some of you UK guys are pretty serious!

I've heard that drifting in the UK is usually done on a wet track, is that true? I've seen pictures of both wet and dry events, but I didn't know if you guys liked to hose the place down to save money on tires and the damn VAT.

Comment

haha, a wet track god no. Sure when we first started drifting we wanted a wet track, not to save on tyres, but because we couldnt drift and wanted to get the back of the car out easier.
            I much prefer dry track drifting, infact ive only ever been drifting when its dry and i think I have been to about 7 or 8 full drift days now.

Tyres are pritty cheap if we go ask a garage for peoples old tyres. In UK garages have to pay to dispose of tyres so they tend to give them to us for very little money.

The place that I drift on now is a government training ground normally but they let us use it when they dont use it. Its a very nice smooth piece of tarmac so only 1 set of tyres is used each day, although at the start of the day you have to walk round the tarmac picking up the shells that the MoD have left there

You have probably seen wet drifting because well this is england and it rains alot
            We had Ken (the Monkey) Numera drifting here last week in one of his skylines around a track in Birmingham in the wet. He makes it look so easy

Comment

In addition to this, the old school Ford GT RHD version had the shifter on the RIGHT side...

Comment

Well, RHD cars are better off for people who are left handed so they can shift easier, because they have stronger left hands because they are dominant, the same with LHD. I think LHD was based for the community of right handed drivers and since in the US it's so diverse they dont know what the hell to do.

Comment

i think the weirdest thing about LHD an RHD is that no matter which side ou sit on, the gears are the same...first is in the same place, all the way on the left.....i think its just weird...lol

Comment

Originally posted by DriftinCressida
                    Well, RHD cars are better off for people who are left handed so they can shift easier, because they have stronger left hands because they are dominant, the same with LHD. I think LHD was based for the community of right handed drivers and since in the US it's so diverse they dont know what the hell to do.
                    What?

Carl - Does the MoD let you use it any time they are not using it?

Comment

sorry let me reiterate

people who are right handed shift better with their right hands, people who are left handed shift better with their left hands.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
                        i think the weirdest thing about LHD an RHD is that no matter which side ou sit on, the gears are the same...first is in the same place, all the way on the left.....i think its just weird...lol

In old school jeeps, reverse was where first commonly was, and first was where second should have been. it takes some getting used to.... but i think its safe to say willys jeeps are not drifting machines, lol.

Comment

Here's an interesting question? Who here has even driven a RHD car? If you had, you would know that driving a RHD car is quite the uncomfortable feeling for a bit after you start driving it. The first thing is the gears, second is the depth perception to the left side of the car. Really hard to guess distance and not hit something. But since we usually don't have to worry about it here in America, who cares.

Comment

Havent driven a RHD car yet, but ive driven a LHD car from the right hand side.... not too safe (or legal)

Comment

i have driven both and currently drive two RHD drives cars and it was VERY weird at first to get used to. not the shifting but pulling on the the correct side of the road and depth perception. And turn signals and windsheild wipers are reveresd here in japan so that was hard to get used to. I would want to turn left and put my windsheild wipers on like a dumb *Censored**Censored**Censored*. ANd u can make left turns on red not right however after driving RHD for the past 10 months i never want to go to LHD again. i honestly feel like i have better car control being on the right hand side. plus i drift better to the left so i feel more comfortbale being on that opposite side.
                              if anyone want to get used to RHD buy my Silvia or Supra!!!
                              Last edited by allblackS14; 07-24-2004, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X