Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what car to buy!

im a newbie at this drift thing and i recently started driving
    i just want to know whats the best car to buy for drifting for a rookie like me . i dont have alot of money so i cant buy the super expensive ones. ive been eyeing a eg6 and a ek9 at the local car shop but i dont know if i should buy it. please help me im a real rookie at this thing

The best cars for learning on are Front engine Rear wheel drive vehichles. And the choice of all serious drifters.

Drifting isnt about spending lots of money Drifting is about being poor scrowning up money for tires. Get your self a inexpensive rear wheel drive car, you will be happest that way, When you get better you can look into other drive train lay outs.

Watch your self and be safe when drifting, its dangerous.

When you drift you will likely crash and ding up stuff. And yes you can drift a stock vehichle fine, infact you should until you get better. Thats why drifters look for cheap RWD cars like the 240sx, and such.

Comment

ya a pretty popular beginner car is the Nissan 240sx. but they do understeer a bit but it's fixable. FF's (Front Wheel Drives) such as the civic aren't really good for drifting unless you're handbrake happy and REALLY skilled.

Comment

Then there's the corolla...

It'll always get you home but they are hard to learn in. Very durable.

I'm referring specifically to 84-87 2 door corollas. For more info check out www.club4ag.com

Comment

Ah the dependability of Toyota. Yep, like they said, any small rwd car will do, with the Nissan 240sx and Toyota Corolla(early-mid '80s rwd versions) are popular. Beyond that, pretty much anything rwd will work. Try to stay light and small. More weight means a lot more weight to get around a corner -> result, slower drifting. Still, anything is driftable really. I first toyed with drifting with my Buick Lesabre. Up till recently, I've been playing with my Bro's old Ford Ranger(after the Lesabre's tranny went out, unrelated to drifting ). I've only really drifted on gravel cause neither car is really capable of drifting on pavement. Gravel's a little slower and is easier to start on, less forces required. It's also easier on tires.

Let's see any other cars to choose from. Well, if you're staying light, there's not much else except a BMW 3 series, maybe an old Mercedes, not sure what their small models are. I think all(or almost all) BMWs and Mercedes are rwd. You could think 4wd too. A Subaru Impreza or an Audi Quattro would be good, relatively light options. I just got myself a Forester yesterday, woohoo. It's basically the Impreza but wagon version, about 200-300 lbs heavier. I like rwd better, but 4wd gives you a ton of control.

Also, as a note, you should see a few "you should have searched first" posts coming soon. This topic has been brought up a dozen times. When posting, try searching for it first. People don't like to repeat themselves over and over.

Comment

you should really check the search feature of this board since this topic has been gone over like 10000000 times.

Comment

Sticking with a light-weight rwd is the obvious reccomendation. Getting a cheap beater to learn in certainly the way to go so you can learn and not be scared to bump into a few things here and there. Be creative, there are a lot of options, domestic and foreign. Don't feel like you absolutely need to get a Corolla or 240sx (although acceptable!).

Comment

yea man hes right stick with something light weight rear wheel drive.
                4 wheel drivew is also an option but it will be pretty hard to start off with.
                yea use the search button you will find more info ther.

Comment

You can get an s13, s14, rx-7 not the 3rd gen, 86s or anything that is old and cheap.

Comment

o ya and 86's aren't cheap nowadays. =\

Comment

come up to bakersfield, Man there are SR-5s up there then you can shake a stick out, Especialy in the bad neighboorhoods. Im sure if you look you can get a good deal on GT-Ss as well.

Comment

85 honda accord hatchback

But no really, you kids should be thinking about what car to learn how to DRIVE in first, let alone learn how to drift. If you buy a car and just go out the first day you get your license and try to swing your back end out, you are almost 100% sure going to crash your car. You need to learn how to control the car, and control YOURSELF. If you go out there and drive wreckless around every corner, then you are no better than the people who go out and street race on public roads.
                        I would definately go and test drive a few different cars and see which car you feel the most comfortable driving, but make sure you test drive every car on your list and not just try one car and call it a day, the car that chose not to test drive because you were impatient could have been a much better car for you. Also, if you can afford it, sign yourself up for car control classes, and auto cross/track events. Drift days are fun, but they do not teach you everything you need to know about proper car control, they teach you to get your car sideways and sustain it. Car control classes will help you better understand what to do if you make a mistake and how to correct the mistake, and can actually lower your car insurance with some insurance agencies. Do as much research as you can before getting out there and getting sideways.
                        -Tim

Comment

drift cars :

i would buy a 240sx they have very good power to weight ratio although they aren't they powerful they are great to learn in.. thats what i learned.. and 4wd dodge dakota in the snow muahahahh !!! but ne ways get fr dont spend mass money on a drift car because you will break something when trying to drift

Comment

Like alot of others said learn how to drive first then start drifting your car.

Comment

do a lot of research on different cars. And don't rush it. When you get the car you like, drive it normally for awhile just to get a feel for it. Also, you might want to hit up an autocross event to learn the basics. Then you'll be good to start drifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X