X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) KEN BLOCK Gymkhana Grid 2010

[IMG][/IMG]

please post your feedback on this thread

Pretty cool event. A couple of suggestions.

1) have the running clock posted on the screen. If grade school track and swimming meets can present timed results live I'm sure the stream can too.

2) Have more classes for drift and grip. As I understood it there were mandatory drift sections. I think there should be a competition for timed grip and a timed drift competition with expanded mandatory drift sections.

Comment

score 1/2 the points per run for drift style angle etc and 1/2 for time, Sitting in the stands people complained about the cars that did not drift, the cars that did not drift were always the fastest
      Leon

Comment

Originally posted by sidewaysrules View Post
        score 1/2 the points per run for drift style angle etc and 1/2 for time, Sitting in the stands people complained about the cars that did not drift, the cars that did not drift were always the fastest
        Leon
        Sort of like Speed and Style that the Motocross and Snowcross guys have. I like that idea and always felt that's what Gymkhana was for cars.

I loved the event, from watching the Live Stream, but the cameras focused too much on Block when they didn't need to (IE: ACP's Turbo or Diff exploding, Ken Block was even watching, but the camera just focused on him).

I still hope that this does become a full series next year, possibly even as a support series for Formula Drift.

Comment

HOW ABOUT REAL SAFETY?!

there was almost 2 dead models and a few photographers due to a lack of K rails and such.

event overall 4/10 organization was poor, BUT its to be expected on the first event

once its actually got going it was great.

but anytime it wasnt competition it was boring as all hell. need a filler for the 3 hours of downtime.

show cars were okay, u can only stare at a car for so long when its not moving.

Comment

Originally posted by sidewaysrules View Post
            Leon
            that's the fastest way to take any credibility possible away from the event.

keep it timed. Make the penalties for hitting an obstacle more strict (2 or 3 seconds). Keep it simple for the fans to watch (and the drivers to drive).

This isn't rocket science.

Comment

I agree with a 2 second penalty for hitting an obstacle. Ther where a few times a penalty did not have any effect on the outcome when it was a good run for both drivers. As for how you run the course, IMO I feel it shouldn't matter whether you drift or grip, part or the whole course as long as you run the fastest possible line however you see fit with the car you drive since your racing the clock.

I really wanted to see what happened to ACP's EVO. If they can keep it split screen when they are at the 720 barrels till both drivers cross the finish line that would be cool. Plus have a few drift cars run around for fun during the down time.

I would have to say the most impressive RWDriving was John Russakoff, and AWD to Verdier. I felt they both fought hard and kept it exciting. We loved watching the event over all, and thank you for having it online we really appreciated it.

Did anyone else wanted to see the top RWD vs top AWD?

Comment

Originally posted by B.Young View Post
                I agree with a 2 second penalty for hitting an obstacle. Ther where a few times a penalty did not have any effect on the outcome when it was a good run for both drivers. As for how you run the course, IMO I feel it shouldn't matter whether you drift or grip, part or the whole course as long as you run the fastest possible line however you see fit with the car you drive since your racing the clock.

I really wanted to see what happened to ACP's EVO. If they can keep it split screen when they are at the 720 barrels till both drivers cross the finish line that would be cool. Plus have a few drift cars run around for fun during the down time.

I would have to say the most impressive RWDriving was John Russakoff, and AWD to Verdier. I felt they both fought hard and kept it exciting. We loved watching the event over all, and thank you for having it online we really appreciated it.

Did anyone else wanted to see the top RWD vs top AWD?
                Yes and I was quite disappointed when despite it being promised it did not occur.

Comment

As a driver it was a blast to do it and it was hard too. I agree on the big down time during the afternoon, way to long. I don't know why they did it. I'm sure that would get change if they do an other event.
                  As for the track I think they should make both tracks next to each other like Race of the champions so the fan can see who's head easier and the drivers can see each other that put's more pressure on us.
                  I think the 1 sec penalty for hitting a barrel or cone is good. Anything more will put you in a to big of a hole to recover. If that sport take, the cars will be really close to each other timewise, so a 1 sec penalty is a lot already. Don't bring any judging in it, keep it simple time only.

Overall I think it was a really good show for a first event. I really hope they can make a series out of it. A lot of drifters could use there car in it witch will gave them 2 series to compete with the same car. Twice the exposure and sponsorship.
                  The other positive thing is when you mix Drifters with rally drivers and time attack drivers together in the same event, you expose them to each other style of racing and I won't be surprise if we'll see new drivers coming into drifting from rally/time attack and vise versa.

I also witness the longest burnout ever with Mike Essa's demo. I don't know how long it did it for sure but it was around 2 min on the rev in 3rd gear, and he didn't blow up.

I don't know why they didn't do the awd vs rwd, but it's a good think it didn't happen. Dai was the fastest of the rwd by a mile but still around 5 sec slower than Tanner. Dai would got killed. That would've made Dai and the rwd class look really slow and bad. Dai drove awesome all week end and the Rwd class was really cool to watch, he would've been unfair to destroy them in a battle.

Fun Weekend!!!
                  Last edited by verdier; 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Dai getting a time in the low 51 to high 50 seconds in one of his runs on the left "DC" course. Tanner I think got in the high 49 seconds.

It would have been very close I would think, but I understand why you feel it could rain on a driver who just won the RWD Gymkhana.

Comment

Yeah I see what you mean. I would be nice if the times were on screen.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Young View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Dai getting a time in the low 51 to high 50 seconds in one of his runs on the left "DC" course. Tanner I think got in the high 49 seconds.

It would have been very close I would think, but I understand why you feel it could rain on a driver who just won the RWD Gymkhana.
                        I thought I heard Dai getting 50 seconds. Tanner was averaging about 52 so Dai would have had a chance.

I agree with Verdier that it should remain timed and no judges. How would the side by side work exactly?

Comment

the live-stream was done very well

Comment

you re right, I was going of Friday's time. It's more like 3 sec and not 5 sec.
                            Dai in his last battle got a 52.66 in the fast course and a 53.61 in the slow course.
                            Tanner in his last battle got a 50.58 including the 1 sec penalty for touching a cone in the fast course and a 50.77 in the slow course.
                            Sorry my mistake

Comment

For the side by side here is a quick drawing, I know it's not pretty and not to scale but that'll give you an idea of what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X