ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grip vs. drift, which one is really for speed on the track, or the fastest?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grip vs. drift, which one is really for speed on the track, or the fastest?

on the track which technique will win in a race? or which technique will get the fastest time? basically which one is faster? i think i might change sides from drift to grip. dont know yet.

it will be different from driver to driver bbbut i beleive tighter smaller radius turns drift is bettrer while larger smoother turns are better for grip.

overall grip will give you better more consistent lap times because drifting even the best mspin out and mess up.
    drifting is much more fun though

Comment

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=7820

try using he search button... this has been discussed in depth by malcolm, GridRaceTech, ryan and I.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco
        http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=7820

try using he search button... this has been discussed in depth by malcolm, GridRaceTech, ryan and I.
        Thanks scirocco we need to stop repeat threads like this..haha!

Comment

It's pretty obvious which is faster. It's not like you see Michael Schummacher sliding all over the place when he's racing.

Comment

Originally posted by spock
            It's pretty obvious which is faster. It's not like you see Michael Schummacher sliding all over the place when he's racing.
            F1 cars drive like they're on rails though. In some cases it's faster to drift than grip. Take a really tight hairpin for instance.

B-Wurm

Comment

I like repeat threads hoenstly.. kinda like the idea got a new life, and you dont have numerous pages of bs to sift through to try and catch whats going on.

To keep this as simple as possible: The fastest way is drift, but now the type your probably thinking of.

Its mor commonly known as a slip angle, talking like up to around 10 degrees max, this depends a lot on the car suspension and most importantly the type of tire your sitting on. Once again to be simple; because of the way a constact patch is strethed, tires can make more lateral force (messure of grip if you like) with a small rotation.

Actual "drifting" though like youd see in d1 or for the most part, initial d is -rarely- the fastest way. Drifting can have some advantages on lowspeed tight (hair pin) corners to some extent, basicly because at this point theres advantages to rotating the car around the corner, instead of using the tires to turn it.

Added: As for you mister Spock, it was a pretty bad idea to bring up Michael Schummacher. Hands down one of if not these fastest cart racer there is, he however DOES indeed slide his cart through the corners. Well into at least, hes pretty straightb y the apex. Malcom can get further into detail (and is more then happy to it seems haha). From what i hear he actualyl confuses the onboard computers because hes going faster then he should be..

Anyways yes, Michael Schummacher does indeed "slide" into the corners a bit of the time just up to the apex it seems.
              Last edited by SidewaysGts; 12-02-2004, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Just to let you know, I don't mind the repeat threads, but this is a question that has been answered in almost every respect so I think it's about finished... others, however, can really contribute to this forum. Also, I know others sometimes can't appreciate it as much as some of us do.

Comment

Just posting more about stuff I have no clue about...
                  How about you contribute some real pics of your car or go away for another 6 months?

I ain't forgotten. You're a fkn liar.

Comment

Did i miss something

Comment

Originally posted by SidewaysGts
                      Did i miss something
                      Here:

I have a scirocco...mine is AWD and weighs 1552 pounds... beat that j/k, im not taht cocky about it, but i am serious, AWD and 1552 pounds
                      Well his claimed ownership of that car is a lie, the car's specifications are a lie, the fact that it's HYABUSA POWERED is a huge lie, the fact that he's a racecar driver with a car that is only leagal to run with the Supermodifieds...

(here's the quote, just for kicks)

thats the category my scirocco would run in. I have yet to see an SCCA or NHRA sanctioned event that i can qualify for, too many illegal parts and unregistered safety equipment even though my race car is very safe.
                      Yea sure. The fool doesn't even know what a supermodified is, I don't think.

Before you start in going "now now Parry you just have it in for the poor kid" let me tell you two things.

FIRST, I and others have been over the impossiblity of his car serveral times and how ignorant and blatantly false his responses were. For example his claimed weight of 1552 pounds...fully gutted front wheel drive mk1 sciroccos (his is a mk2) wiegh in at around that without the driver. Add the extra weight of the all wheel drive system (did I mention he claims to have ATTESA? because he did...) and he would be well over 1552. When this was pointed out to him he claimed the car was made out of crazy wild space-age materials...

here's a few more quotes for you:

custom built drivetrain, based on RWD (it is 20% front and 80% back) on launch, but if for some reason the fronts lose traction a lot, 100% CAN go to the rear. It is controlled by the same ecu as the skyline v35, but has been modified for track racing and drifting as i said.
                      Perhaps the fronts loose traction because this is LIES and the car's front wheel drive?

ya my car is cheating too i guess what with awd, custom abs, million decibel exhaust, AYC, realtime automatically adjustable airbags, would kill me if i crashed... d1 wont let me in but i think they should have AWD and FWD classes
                      Oops, yea, there you go. I forgot he was running active (air ride) suspension.

Yea, anyway. Pretty good stuff, huh?

SECOND, before you go blabbering on about me having it in for him, here's news.

YES, YES I FKN DO.

This kid is a bullsh!t factory and deserves the ban-hammer. Why it has not fallen I do not know.

SidewaysGTS you got PM by the way...

Comment

i know ive seen him bring up that car before and it soudned pretty far fetched if i remember.. a goldish car stick out in my mind but i may be wrong i never put much thought into it haha

Comment

If you have nanotechnology then it will be faster than drift and grip combined.

Comment

Originally posted by SidewaysGts
                            From what i hear he actualyl confuses the onboard computers because hes going faster then he should be..
                            Yeah I always hear stories about he sort of defies physics. Its the force, son!

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
                              I and others have been over the impossiblity of his car serveral times and how ignorant and blatantly false his responses were. For example his claimed weight of 1552 pounds...fully gutted front wheel drive mk1 sciroccos (his is a mk2) wiegh in at around that without the driver. Add the extra weight of the all wheel drive system (did I mention he claims to have ATTESA? because he did...) and he would be well over 1552. When this was pointed out to him he claimed the car was made out of crazy wild space-age materials...
                              don't be so ignorant... anything is possible on the moon.

Comment

Working...
                              X