Do Shoes Help Your Technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Shoes Help Your Technique?

hey everyone...I used to drift in my adidas superstars...and now I wear these thin soled pumas and I feel like I can drift better...does this help or am I just pushing harder because I think my shoes help?

welll racing shoes have REALLY thin soles so that the driver and feel the pedals and clutch a LOT more allowing a more sensitive control of the pedals. but for normal drifting, anything with non-think soles are probably good.

might be wrong but that's what i've been told.

Comment

Well I got size 14 feet so shoes dont work out too well for me ...

Comment

what kind of shoes do you wear?...I think it really helps that I've been wearing shoes that help me feel the petals...

Comment

size 14! sick, how do you heel toe? or do you? I wear a 10.5 and I have a hard time sometimes...

Comment

ghost if you're looking for something like a racing shoe that doesn't cost as much try a wrestling shoe, they're very similar in design just without the nomex. luckilly for me i work at Play It Again Sports =) and i have access to them, but really the best i find are walking style shoes, like airwalks/vans/ even adidas samba's work well for me. but i think the wrestling shoes are probably the best bet if you really want to feel the pedals

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost
              size 14! sick, how do you heel toe? or do you? I wear a 10.5 and I have a hard time sometimes...

hahaha nice. i wear 10.5/11. i have Puma Speedcats (the hightops). cept i dont drive really. cause of ma age (13).

Comment

Racing shoes are good for feeling the car and the road.

Comment

Well I know its illegal at like all the events and a really bad idea as far as safety, but I usually drive barefoot. If I do have to wear a shoe, its extremely hard to drive a manual car because I can literally slam all 3 pedals with one foot. Even just regular driving is a PITA. I have not even tried to heel toe with a shoe on. I imagine it would be a disaster. But barefoot it works out all good.

Comment

I bet you could toe mid foot...like use the...never mind....that's too hard...I'd just press half gas half break with my whole foot...I dunno...I couldn't imagine...that's why I wish I had smaller feet sometimes...but other times I don't...hahaha

Comment

I use the Adidas Samba but soon i plan to get the sparco or puma racing shoe......anyone ever tried www.saferacer.com ??

Comment

barefoot.

you crazy hawaiian.

Comment

I have a set of Piloti's. They're thin, fireproof, and extremely uncomfortable. Those bastards...

My favorite driving shoes are my Adidas Tuscanys[sic]. Thin sole, narrow shoe... awesome. My friend wears Diadora Equipes and raves about 'em. Pretty much anything with thin soles will work.

Comment

i wear size 17 superstars in my S13. i can't heel toe, but i can do the mid-foot thing.

Comment

I have a pair of DC's (every day) and a pair of Globes (for work, because they're black) and both work fine for me. The wide sole helps for left foot braking and heel-toe and even though the soles are thick due to them being skate shoes, they give a good indicator of how hard you're pressing the pedals.

As far as I'm concerned presing a pedal through a 1/2" thick sole is just like having the pedal 1/2" closer to your foot. I've heard of people getting cleats and cutting off the knobs to make a cheap driving shoe but my skate kicks work just fine.

I also have a set of Wolveriene steel-toe boots that I will sometimes wear and, other than the soles being really stiff, they are no problem.

I just pick shoes that are comfortable - there is nothing worse than uncomfortable shoes, especially when driving!

My philosophy is that if you are reacting to the pedals, you are adding another step from simply reacting to the car. Lots of people say that the pedals can tell you a lot about a car, and I don't dispute that, but I say that the CAR can tell you a lot about the car. Maybe it's because I drift AWD which is super-aggressive or maybe it's just the way I am but honestly I don't see the need for special shoes.

-MR

Comment

Working...
                              X