Go Back   DRIFTING.com > General Forum > General Chat (DRIFTING Discussion/News and SITE Updates)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Powersliding vs drifting

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2004, 04:41 AM   #26
ramoneguru

Quote:
Originally posted by MrodDrft
Hi, im VRDjr and im a complete idiot.
Nice to meet ya....Anywho is MrodDrift's summary of powersliding and drifting somewhat accurate?? Just seems like xler8 has the correct response to this one...
ramoneguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 08:39 AM   #27
fsr
Crazy Norwegian

Why do everyone have to answer topics like this when they have no clue what they are talking about? This is a very simple question. What is the difference between powersliding and drifting. The answer is just as simple...

Powersliding (aka "power over" in drifting) is on of many techniques used in drifting. It's quite self explanatory as well. You initiate a slide by applying power. In drifting it's used to maintain the allready initiated drift.

And just to clear things up. Excessive drifting is not fast, but there is a huge difference between show drifting which is based on style, and race drifts that are hardly noticable. Basically a car with little grip will use race drifting to steer the car. So would a car with high grip, but it's harder as the grip limit is a lot sharper. Aslo a high grip car will slow down to much if the race drift becomes to large.

To stay on the limit with a low grip car, you will balance on the edge of drifting all the time, and use techniques that take advantadge of the low grip. To prevent understeer you will probably stay on the brakes a little while entering the corner to initiate what drifters refer to as a brake drift, allthough a very small one. Not enough to make the tires let go, but enough to strech the limit a little bit and making the rear wheels slide a little. This will initiate a rotation and help the car turn into the corner. As it's all about exit speed, rotating the car a little will allow you to get a straighter exit, maximising exit speeds. To get maximum grip while accelerating you would probably continue the drift with a little powerslide as well, balancing the rear wheels on the edge of braking loose. As tires are made from rubber, they do move on the surface, and that's the kind of drifting I'm talking about. It's like having the rear wheels an inch outside of the racing line, not several feet...

The technique described here is for FR/MR cars. A FF car is a little different as you can't - I repeat - can't powerslide when the power is applied to the front wheels. It would only create understeer, and we don't want that. So in a FF car it's slightly different. FF cars are often setup with to out in the rear to make the rear end trail around the corner, but it's a long story...

Bringing in rallying is kind of stupid, as it's different ball park. When driving on loose surfaces there are several things that are very different from tarmac. First of all, you have to rely on wheelspin to get the tyres to dig into the surface and find grip. Neither does rally drivers have the same knowledge of the roads that a curciut racer have of the track. Settng the car up a little before the turn gives them a larger margin as they have the possibility to rotate the car while braking if they are entering the corner to fast. Going in tight could create understeer, and when you are travelling at 120mph with trees on both sides, you do not want to understeer off the road...

Having said that, a lot of the "new generation" of rally drivers drift a lot less than the old school. Look at Petter and Sebastian. They both choose very smooth lines. It's faster, but more risky. But as they finished 1st and 2nd in the WRC, I guess it pays off

Fredrik
fsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #28
sobe

Send a message via AIM to sobe
damn you all, just ride a friggen book or something...
sobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:17 AM   #29
essphorteen

Send a message via AIM to essphorteen
not that this post needed anything else, but drifting is rarely EVER the fastest way around a tarmac curve. mostly, never.

When you drift you create friction. when you create friction, you create heat. when your tires heat up too much, they become inefficient, lose tread faster, expand. no one does it in JGTC or LeMans or any Circuit Race because it slows you down; you also waste rubber and have to make more pit stops.

its not a good idea if youre looking for the fastest way from point A to point B. granted, oversteer occurs often on most all levels of racing, but an all out d1 drift will rarely help out a driver on a time trial.

Initial D is not real life. Dont be an internet drifter.

Last edited by essphorteen; 01-12-2004 at 01:19 AM.
essphorteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:21 AM   #30
fsr
Crazy Norwegian

It's way cooler though
fsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:43 AM   #31
VRDjr

After Sobe and I comment on Mrod's level of intelligence, or lack thereof, the best response he can muster is, "I don't care what you think." Yeah, maybe if you stop caring about what the facts are they'll go away...or not, *Censored**Censored**Censored*-clown. Ramoneguru, xler8 is right on this one, listen to him. Mrod is wrong on this one, don't listen to him. As Sobe pointed out, I don't think he knows what an accident is or even what the word means.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #32
xler8

Quote:
Ramoneguru, xler8 is right on this one, listen to him. Mrod is wrong on this one, don't listen to him. As Sobe pointed out, I don't think he knows what an accident is or even what the word means.
Thanks for the support VRDjr and others who spoke up, at the end of the day everyone will benifit from more seat time dirfting and then have an understanding of the dynamics involved.

Drifting by anyother name is still a fun exhibition sport, I take it seriously...as in it's seriously fun to do

Peace
xler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #33
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

Send a message via AIM to MrodDrft
OK dude thats wat i meant but i dont have time to write a fricken novel on some internet forum
MrodDrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #34
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

AND as i stated before... i dont care what any of you think
Old 01-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #35
Ghost of Duluth
Sixgun

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Duluth
Ok Xler8, Now that I agree with. More seat time is golden. Point taken and flame out. Thought you were bagging on Foilman and got hot headed. Apologies to you.

As for Mrod. Not to come down on you but if you don't care what any of us think then what the hell are you doing here?
Ghost of Duluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #36
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

Well if Mr. L337 took the time to decifer the word "Power Slide" you can clearly see that you would be sliding and/or initiating a slide using power.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #37
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

It depends under what circumstances u are using the term power slide.. It could mean u are holding the slide using power.. or u can start sliding unintenntionally because you used to much power, or it can mean ur a rich bastard riding a ferarri around turns flooring it
Old 01-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #38
Ghost of Duluth
Sixgun

Bikes aren't meant to be pedaled backwards. Just let it die.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #39
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

My bike pedals backwards lmao
Old 01-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #40
essphorteen

Send a message via AIM to essphorteen
Quote:
Originally posted by fsr
It's way cooler though
amen to that, brother.
essphorteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #41
Ghost of Duluth
Sixgun

That means stop backpedaling. It's a figure of speach.

Don't think you got that
Old 01-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #42
Frostbyte

Quote:
Originally posted by MrodDrft
It depends under what circumstances u are using the term power slide.. It could mean u are holding the slide using power.. or u can start sliding unintenntionally because you used to much power, or it can mean ur a rich bastard riding a ferarri around turns flooring it
hahaha that was a good one!
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #43
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

Quote:
Actually i did get it... im just trying to loosen up this stuffy forum full of crotchety drifters
Old 01-13-2004, 05:33 PM   #44
VRDjr

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth

Don't think you got that
"Do you need mirrors to backpedal that fast?" I prefer that one.

Tags
drifting vs powersliding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: