hey guys 2 questions-thanks :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys 2 questions-thanks :)

Im new to the drifting world and this forum has been a great help for me.

1) my first question is i have found a 1987 rx-7 with a 96 jdm rx-7 turbo engine that has been converted to a single turbo. i know the guy that has the car now has been drifting the car. it is totally set up to drift from what i know. He is looking to get 6000 for it but its needs some stuff to safety (about 1500).
    Is this car worth even looking at or should i be looking for something unmodded and modded it myself later.

2) tires, i read that for beginners you should put good fronts on and use junk rears. what i'm wondering is how off ten should i need to get new rear tires. I know it probably depends on how much i'm out practicing, but just a rough idea would be nice.

Thanks for the help

#1)Check compression and look for cooling jacket leaks.
    What are he list of mods?6 grand is worth it for alost any modded running FC if the body is clean and the work is clean.You can ave alot of money buying a car with the mods already.

#2)Keeping both front and rear tires the same will give you netural handling, FC tend to be very netural with easily induced oversteer.Putting nice tires upfront and shitty ones on back will help get the rear loose easier but will hinder getting traction back and acceleration while drifting but if your undrpowered it's a good idea, but from the sounds of the FC your buying I think the same tires all around will be your best bet. all depends on your wheels also. If you have wider rears then using crappier tires in the rear would help balance out the traction levels front/back

Comment

thanks for the advice. im taking it to the garage on friday to get her looked at, it needs a couple little things to safety (wiring). i can get it for 5500 now.

Heres a list of the mods:

FD engine swap with low miles from 96 jdm. Megan coilover susp., S-AFC and AVCR boost controller, stage 2 clutch, alum. rad and FMIC, 255 fuel pump, TO4 S turbo with tube manifold and ext. wastegate, full 3 " exhaust, 18" wheels, new paint, carbon fibre hood scoop and sunroof panel, Momo steering wheel

engine has about 60000k and body 140000.
      also will need paint in a year or so.

Comment

Any concerns about rust or welds on the old RX7s? Just curious myself...and something to think about when looking it over.

Comment

The welds are not a problem on FC's.
          I live out in Cali so Haven't found many FC's with rust on them but the areas to check are the rear hatch drain in each conner under the hatch. Make sure there free of clogging dirt, leaves,rocks ect. Use a coat hanger to poke it through and hose some water through it. The sunroof panel rusts also because they are not 2 stage paint from the factory, only crappy single stage just like the hood.
          Other than that I havent seen any rust bucket FC's around.

Comment

Working...
          X