proper clutch working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper clutch working

I can drive stick ok, but I have only been able to drive pick-ups, and I cant really drive quickly and shift without it jumping as a let out the clutch. What really is the proper way to let out the clutch, say If i was driving a car really fast.

smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
      smoothly.
      exactly...slow down speed racer. Its an obvious answer...relax and release the clutch slowly. Make sure to have the clutch engaged when you shift. Accelerate smoother too, don't gun it.

Comment

Yeah, I can do that when I just want to drive. I can shift well, but I thought there might be a difference in scenic driving, and trying to outrun your friend next to[ in a safe place of course]

Comment

Originally posted by 2501
          Yeah, I can do that when I just want to drive. I can shift well, but I thought there might be a difference in scenic driving, and trying to outrun your friend next to[ in a safe place of course]
          Actually there isn't a difference...Ever been on a real track?? You wanna be the fastest you need to be the smoothest...you can just gun it in a corner and make your wheel spin, you lose traction and control. A real driver is relax and in control, a novice will gun it every corner and get crappy times.

Comment

if you start with smoothly you will find you natrually unconciously progress to quickly.

Comment

cool, that makes alot of sense. I rode with (keep up with me here) My friend's sister's boyfriend. He has a 2004 lancer, and it looked alright. He beats the hell out of that thing. As he would shift, he would push in, shift and pretty much dump the clutch, and the whole driveline would slip and rattle as it would regain control. It was a fast ride, except his clutch is prolly going the way of the corded phone. So in a nutshell, what your saying is that smooth shifting is the best, and as I do it more often, I'll find myself shifting smoothly then eventually quickly. Ok, if thats correct, its just lots of good practice.

Comment

cool, that makes alot of sense. I rode with (keep up with me here) My friend's sister's boyfriend. He has a 2004 lancer, and it looked alright. He beats the hell out of that thing. As he would shift, he would push in, shift and pretty much dump the clutch, and the whole driveline would slip and rattle as it would regain control. It was a fast ride, except his clutch is prolly going the way of the corded phone. So in a nutshell, what your saying is that smooth shifting is the best, and as I do it more often, I'll find myself shifting smoothly then eventually quickly. Ok, if thats correct, its just lots of good practice.
                Exactly practice...what other answer is there?? You're not born driving a stick are you?

(Don't post that silly avatar of the stockholm videos)

Comment

Watch some Option or Drift Tengoku videos where they do the big 8 car races around a track. Those guys are so good at shifting that they can wait for the revs to drop on their upshift and dump the clutch and still keep accelerating smoothly.

When you're driving don't so much watch the revs but rather feel when your car needs to shift and how much to let the revs drop on your upshift. 1st to 2nd takes longer for the revs to drop to the appropriate range than 2nd to 3rd etc. Upshifting without letting the revs drop enough before engaging the clutch and getting on the gas is what makes your car surge forward. Now couple a lightened flywheel with a short shifter and you've got a car that'll allow you to shift like crazy.

**Edit: However, you don't usually wanna dump the clutch and gas it hard during daily driving
                  B-Wurm

Comment

stockholm video..avatar? anyway, this is really a learning experience. I actually need to save up some money to buy a whole mess of option dvd's and such. I may be wrong, but I think amazon is having 20% off some of the auto dvd's, which makes me happy. I will continue to look into this, and thank you.

Comment

stockholm video..avatar? anyway, this is really a learning experience. I actually need to save up some money to buy a whole mess of option dvd's and such. I may be wrong, but I think amazon is having 20% off some of the auto dvd's, which makes me happy. I will continue to look into this, and thank you.
                      Get a way in stockholm...where do these kids come from?? ::shakes head::

Comment

Yo need to get the feel of the clutch, that comes with practice. Learning the feel allows you to know how much gas is needed, where it starts to engage, etc. Get used to the clutch and then you start shifting quicker. If you don't, get used to this lovely sound :GRIND:!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X