Budget Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Car

i have a 6k budget, and i have a friend who has a 91 240 thats in really good shape and shes willing to let it go to me for 500. Now, moving on to the point, i want to see what yall would spend the rest on. for me it would be an SR swap, suspension, an LSD. these are just off the top of my head. i would prefer a 2way lsd, and some coilovers. i dont want to take any short cuts and half a*s anything, i want it done right even if i cant do very much.
    I do all the labor in my drive way buy the way.

Originally posted by 240drifter
    i have a 6k budget, and i have a friend who has a 91 240 thats in really good shape and shes willing to let it go to me for 500. Now, moving on to the point, i want to see what yall would spend the rest on. for me it would be an SR swap, suspension, an LSD. these are just off the top of my head. i would prefer a 2way lsd, and some coilovers. i dont want to take any short cuts and half a*s anything, i want it done right even if i cant do very much.
    I do all the labor in my drive way buy the way.
    sounds like you're on the right track!

i'd do Suspension / LSD / Swap in that order...

Comment

I'd do coilovers, LSD (id buy a Weld Locd diff), I/H/E, Rims and Tires, and other small goodies with the leftover.

Comment

TRACK TIME
        learn to drift. actually drift, not understeering then your front tires are making noise and you think thats drifting.
        then

deft force 2way lsd
        silk roads
        battle version links
        tein tie rods
        bucket seat
        radiator
        maintence
        cluch

Comment

suspension, lsd, 2nd set of wheels "to burn", the rest learning how to drift. thats what i would do if i were you.oh and have lots of fun with it all.

Comment

I would service the car (brakes, cooling, sensors, etc, etc) make sure it'll be able to handle abuse, then for mods: a seat, 3in harness, a steering wheel, LSD, suspension, good set of front wheels with good tires, bunch of used OEM or crappy wheels for the rear, as much chassis strengthening as possible and spend the rest on drifting events.

Comment

should i use the 240 or should i use an AE86 as my base.

Comment

An accusump might be a good bit of insurance for the engine. Not sure how many people here run them, but I plan on adding one to my car before taking it out.

Comment

Suspension/ LSD/ race seat with harness/ intake/ full exhaust/ tires/ track time

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                    TRACK TIME
                    learn to drift. actually drift, not understeering then your front tires are making noise and you think thats drifting.
                    Agreed! Get track time stat!

As for your base vehicle, it depends on a few things. Experience, quality of the vehicle, and of course, cost.
                    The 86 is a great beginner's car and can take you a long way but it is harder or at least less common to push out the same power as the s13.
                    However, remember that as the 86 is older and will be harder to find spare parts for. It is likely the 86 has more wear and tear on the body and chassis too.
                    Then look at cost. Can you get an 86 for $500 like the S13? In equal or better condition?
                    Hope this helps man!

Comment

Originally posted by 240drifter
                      should i use the 240 or should i use an AE86 as my base.

drive each one. they do drive differently. i had 2 hachis before i got my s13. i like my s13. i feel its more my style.

but with that amount of money i think you should get decide if you want an sr20 first and then do suspension. or vice versa. im going the suspension route first. im pretty sure good suspension (meaning coils, bushings, braces, arms here n there) will take all that money you have left over. maybe have money for a seat and a steering wheel?

and do what crazyhawaiian said. maintenance. you cant push a car that hasnt been maintained.

Comment

well the chick that used to be my bros roommate drove it, so the car has never been driven hard and plus she has three cars so she rotates all three of them. So, the only problem with it is the trunk has rust on it, nothing else, aftermarket trunk or one from a salvage yard would do. Also i was thinking of just stratching the SR20 for now and doint alot of suspension, getting some wheels and tires, lsd, exhaust and paint and some other misc. stuff. what do yall think?, personally the more and more i think about it the more i just want to buy some wheels, do suspension and do the swap. Also what can the stock bottom end of an SR hold up to horsepower wise? Thanks fellas, a year ago i got on here and was so excited i didnt even do any research and i had no idea what i was talking about, now after doing some research i still have a few un-answered questions.

sorry for such a long post, but thanks for keeping with me

Comment

heres what i did / am doing

fix all the major ghetto stuff, and make it realiable.

wheels/tires, weld diff/vlsd , day after i bought it

events, 2nd day after i bought it and ever since

radiator, after i popped 3 of them from drifting in too long of spans

coilovers+ruca - when i had money this was 1st mod i did, but dont sacrifice seat time for it.

turbo - had everything minus manifold and oil lines together since...february, then my whole life got owned by drifting. fun but no money is the suck.

plans

cage/seat, suspension links, steering angle, then brakes and auto-x wheels/tires and lexan,

later on down the line when i start running out of stuff to do

vtec head, naws , twin turbo kit, cool ninja dragon type-R vynil. maybe document ls1 s chassis. maybe one day make it look cool as well, nice paint, non-mustang wheels, and stuff.

oh yeha, and ka-t > sr

Comment

Flame me all you want, I honestly dont care. Street drift>Track drift. Just because its free. I say spend your money on better things and go drift on the street.....just make sure its away from houses/cars/people.

Comment

Make sure its running right first. Ya need to make sure the car can handle driving under normal conditions before sliding it.

Get used to how the car reacts stock then upgrade along the lines of

Good Complete Suspension
                              LSD
                              I.H.E. Intake (Header) Exhaust
                              Clutch
                              Decent tires/spare tires/ Lots of tires!
                              Racing/Bucket Seat With harness. (i cant go back to stock seat/belts now)

Once ya got comfortable with that...

Looking to make a considerable power jump? Id say Turbo the KA
                              The 91's came with the good cams!

And yes KA-t > SR

edit : Ooh forgot to mention Stiffen chassis = good.

Comment

Working...
                              X