SR20 into 1993 240SX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20 into 1993 240SX

I need some advice on putting an sr20det into a 93 240sx.i have NO experience with this.where can i get an engine?what all do i need?PRICE??black or red top?do i need it out of an S13,14, or 15??i need all the help i can get, and any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

red top out of any year is the best bet. im not sure who has the best selection. my friend says enjukuracing.com. if the motor u got in your car, assuming it is a ka, u could slap a turbo kit on that. might be cheaper

Comment

well you can bolt up the engine directly since the mounts are the same, you will need the harness for the new engine and the transmission, the rear-end might be nice too. You will need all parts for general matineance. Like spark plugs, seals, oil, fluids, do all that you can while hte motor is pulled. Then you will need to hook everything up and tune it and check the timing. But since you have ne experience I would suggest you DO NOT do this yourself. Everyone has to learn sometime, but not if your very inexperienced at cars. Ive put in and rebuilt a few engines and its not something everyone can do right. But go to some 240sx forums, I know they will have write ups on how to do it. Off you go to search the internet little one.

EDIT: and this whole process can cost anywhere from 3 to 6 grand depending on shape of the motor and how much *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* you break during the process. If you will be upgrading turbos, and injectors, etc. I would suggest an s13 engine since they are usually cheaper.
      Last edited by s13/350z; 08-15-2005, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drift_Racer
        red top out of any year is the best bet. im not sure who has the best selection. my friend says enjukuracing.com. if the motor u got in your car, assuming it is a ka, u could slap a turbo kit on that. might be cheaper
        thats wat i would do, just rebuild the KA, they can throw out good power wen modded right

Comment

you guys dont know turbo KA's then. they dont make globs of power unless completely rebuilt. and that will cost more than a sr20 swap (a cheaper red top)

but for the thread starter, i suggest you do a whole lot of reading on 240 based message boards. then you can make your own decision. theres goods and bads between the sr20 swap and turbo KA.

personally im goin sr20.

Comment

you dont know turbo ka then, thehre are tons of 300hp daily driven ka;s and over 500hp stock block.

way more torque than sr....

not bashing or praisgin eithehr.

also s15 sr wont bolt right into s13, and redtop is probably best for power to price but it makes the least power and is the oldest,

i would reomend to keep your ka unless its really bad like rod knock or osemtihng

Comment

for $3~6K you can get a LS1 installed
              have some one make you some custom mounts and do installation

V8 alluminum block and heads
              325 HP stock 400 ft lbs stock

SR20 is cool and all but way over priced

Max

Comment

Honestly, you just have to know how to do the SR setup to make it inexpensive. I bought my motor for 2000 shhipped and spent some time and effort cleaning it and revamping gaskets and seals, trying to refresh it enough to take the power. Bought the normal bolt-on power adders with a few added secrets..... All in all, it cost me under 4800 for all the parts, incl. ex. mani., turbo back, clutch, shifter, dirveshaft, etc. You get the idea. Use your resources and find what's best for you. For me, the redtop was the best choice.

Comment

if you are gonna do any kind of head mods, go with S13 redtop...why spend the money mostly on the variable valve timing which gets dumped in the can as soon as you get aggressive cams? thats like throwing 600-1000 bucks down the drain instantly. also, i would suggest a front clip from my own bad experisnces with an sr swap....

Comment

I will probably go the SR route (black top S13 i think) and im gonna try to find an EXPERIENCED shop to do it...first i need my a/c and timing chain replaced (daily driver) i also completley redid the body work (bomex bodykit, spoiler, tenzo-r mean 6's. needs a few other things before the motor.will try to get a pic soon.

Thanx for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                    X