No announcement yet.

can the mr2[sw20] drift??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well isnt it kind of odd that you edited your post within half an hour of me replying to it? I'm pretty positive you mentioned FF and AWD requiring tire lockage. However, let's not argue, i don't care that much. All that aside, you have a very good explanation going for tsuchiya's "mistake". Actually I pretty much agree with everything else in your post. Good job.
    Last edited by scirocco; 09-17-2004, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Last edited by SidewaysGts on 09-17-2004 at 02:54 PM

Your post was at

09-17-2004 02:57 PM

Ill take a screen shot if you like- And my reply to what you said was at

09-17-2004 03:42 PM

which is about 40 minutes after what u said- if thats what your talking about?
      ___

Added:

Thanks for agreeing with the rest though, but ya- i do find all of his mistakes "convenient" if you know what i mean.

As for this AWD drifting thing, IMO its a bit between "ff drifting" and "fr drifting"

FFs can do small drifts (mild slip angles) by using the intertia of the turn in, and weight moving forward to slide the back end out slightly (once that interia dies though the back end kick in with it)

But to get an extreme angle (what a "Drift" is to me) they have to lock up their back tires. This not only looks sloppy in most cases if used to "Drift" but it kills the FFs speed and line during the process.

AWD on the other hand: They too rely on intertia to keep the back end out, BUT the difference is they have the ability to rotate all their tires and KEEP the traction free for a much great period of time.

Also the angle must be pretty big (bigger then FR in most cases) to even complete the turn with a drift, otherwise the inertia will "fall" (only way i know to describe it, sorry) and the traction will come back. Same with letting up on the gas- tires stop spinning as much as they could, traction is regrained, the drift "falls".

FRs dont rely on interia (they use it- but not the same) and can easily break traction as they want, and keep it broken as long as the driver as able to maintain it.

Also it kind of depends which AWD system is in use, i have seen AWDs (or.. at least they were?) that were able to do some pretty long powercircles, ive seen others that could barely do a little over half of one before the back end gets traction and the angle stops.
      Last edited by SidewaysGts; 09-17-2004, 08:12 PM.

Comment

mine can do powercircles all day long, tire and engine dependant of course my AWD is drift and race tuned. It can keep within 1-2 degrees of optimum slip angle and spring rates (yes, spring rates) at all time. Some say I'm a wussy for all these gizmos, i say i can whoop them with all those gizmos or with all of it turned off. Anyhow, its just that you edited your post within one minute after me correcting you (the post just before mine, your long post), if you will accept calling it that. Anyhow, thats unimportant. What is important is that a properly setup FF can drift just as good as a similar FR car. Although I'd put my money with the FR car. Anyways, it is scientifically known, well-known, and known first hand by me that FF can keep up drift angles if it is tuned to oversteer. All you do is turn in more and step on the gas a little and the rear end will pop out nicely. To connect corners, you can floor it while countersteering to swing it around. Unfortunately it is just not as fast, I agree. However it is still very very fun, but i choose AWD, then RWD, then FWD, then 4WD, than doing 180s or skidding turns on my Kona Stuff (mountain bike).
        Last edited by scirocco; 09-17-2004, 10:53 PM.

Comment

What kind of AWD do you drive Scirocco?

Comment

AWD?

Comment

I'm asking what kind of AWD car he drives...

Comment

custom built drivetrain, based on RWD (it is 20% front and 80% back) on launch, but if for some reason the fronts lose traction a lot, 100% CAN go to the rear. It is controlled by the same ecu as the skyline v35, but has been modified for track racing and drifting as i said. Its drivetrain is similar to the RS200 since it is small and AWD i guess, i just love those RS200s. If i ever get rid of my scirocco, I'll find an RS200S Evolution (probably selling in the 500,000 range now, they are so rare. In that sense, maybe I'll just build another scirocco.

Oh, did you mean what kind of car? The name says it all.

Oic you left a msg just b4 a posted. Anyhow this thing is not stock in any way, despite how stock it appears. Such a sleeper.

Comment

i see my time a couple minutes before your post (I was editing it more then once though admitingly, changing things i had said, fixing typos, adding for what someone had said WHILE i was typing that etc) but agreed anyways:

haha that car soudns VERY nice, id love to see some of the stuff- and how much did you drop into that beast?

And ive yet to see a ff drift without locking up the rear tire at all Ive seen SOME oversteer- but you can only change a cars habbits so much.. and everything i have PERSONALLY seen is mild lip angles (as stated- a slip angle becoems a drift when the angle becoems more extreme)

I demand pitures! lol

Comment

lol all i got is my cameraphone so i gotta order in a cable to transfer pictures first but i will post in the "post your car pictures" thread as soon as i can

Have i told you that i also put in a hayabusa engine

Comment

I apologize for my ignorance, I've been so involved into JDM that I never gave the time to get into other cars...I was thinking about going european myself...But I gotta look more into it, nice setting though.

Comment

...but i choose AWD, then RWD, then FWD, then 4WD, than doing 180s or skidding turns on my Kona Stuff (mountain bike)
                        LOL!
                        AWD is the same thing as 4WD.

Comment

haha i was wondering what AWD was..

Comment

AWD (all wheel drive) is NOT the same as 4 wheel drive Not exactly.

Added: Probably should have stated why- sorry haha

AWD has a center dif, where 4wd does not.

Having a dif in the center allows a for a different amount of power in the front compared to the back. As a vehicle turns the front tires will take a different line or path then the back tires,and need to move at different speeds otherwise theyll slip.

4wd has the same power up front thats in the back, if you try to turn your tires will slip and yoru turning will lack because of it. Its good for off roading though.

IMO- AWD > 4wd
                            Last edited by SidewaysGts; 09-18-2004, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Scirro is right. Think of it as Automatic vs. Manual. 4WD is where the automobile (usually truck) is always rear wheel drive, but by pressing a button or moving a lever, it changes powers all 4 wheels with equal amounts of power. So it's basically rwd (I've never seen a front drive based 4wd system) with an uber traction mode. An AWD car is usually front/rear wheel drive, but if traction is lost, it makes adjustments on what wheels get how much power.

Comment

IMO AWD > 4WD
                                STOP IT! YOU ARE REMINDING ME OF GRADE SCHOOL MATH! AHHHH! but seriously you are right there is no disputing that except that AWD is more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X