ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling a Drift? (E-Brake? or Letting Off the Gas..?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when it starts to happen i stay on the gas and i mess with the clutch like hold it half way down what not and that always seems to save my *Censored**Censored**Censored*.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
      Oh i wasn't questioning your credability as a driver. Im just saying the difference in a "Almost" technical level. That's all.
      o alright that cleared things up, sorry about that if i seemed a tad harsh

Comment

something to consider also is the type of rear tire your using and also tire pressure too... if its too crappy or too much air the rear end will come out more or faster since there isn't too much grip back there due to no tread or crappy compound, or too much air. letting off the gas until you feel comfortable again is always a good way out if you have a LSD if not then using the side break to slow the wheel spin is the best bet. Modulating (not pulling the side and holding) is your best bet in bringing the rear in check. once you get the rear in check you can continue drifting, since it will happen real quick you'll get the feel for when you have slowed your self down enough.

Comment

another way to keep a car sideways is to let off the throttle VERY HARSHLY, for merely an instant, and then floor it again. It will transfer weight to the front, and kick the tail out a bit.

one exercise that would be good for you is learning to modulate the brakes to keep you sideways. Once the car is sideways, more brake = more angle. Try it.

Some drivers even like to left-foot-brake... all depends on your style.

Like Marshun said, just try everything you can think of. See what's best for you.

Comment

Everything totally depends on your car's level of tune, your skill and technique, tires, and the corner speed. Most of what is being said woudl work, you just have to find out what is right for you. If youa re like me and enjoy a lot of angle throughout the whole turn while keeping the speed (higher entry speed is needed) you will set up your car to slightly understeer. Because a feint with clutch kick into power then sidebrake then power will get you sideways everytime, no need have an oversteering car. THe "understeer" once in the drift will "walk" your front end outward so at high angles, you rears are smoking and sliding a lot and the fronts are VERY SLIGHTLY understeering or sliding towards the outside as well. Only at high speeds though. As the corner slows down your front tires will always have grip (unless you front lock them at the apex). FOr me, to control it (i have full 2 way LSD) i just let off the gas all the way until my rear end stops coming around on me, then right before it may grip or gain tooo much traction, get back on the gas and keep the revs up. *Knowing* when to do this is a matter of experience and practice.

Comment

Originally posted by _PG_
              Everything totally depends on your car's level of tune, your skill and technique, tires, and the corner speed. Most of what is being said woudl work, you just have to find out what is right for you. If youa re like me and enjoy a lot of angle throughout the whole turn while keeping the speed (higher entry speed is needed) you will set up your car to slightly understeer. Because a feint with clutch kick into power then sidebrake then power will get you sideways everytime, no need have an oversteering car. THe "understeer" once in the drift will "walk" your front end outward so at high angles, you rears are smoking and sliding a lot and the fronts are VERY SLIGHTLY understeering or sliding towards the outside as well. Only at high speeds though. As the corner slows down your front tires will always have grip (unless you front lock them at the apex). FOr me, to control it (i have full 2 way LSD) i just let off the gas all the way until my rear end stops coming around on me, then right before it may grip or gain tooo much traction, get back on the gas and keep the revs up. *Knowing* when to do this is a matter of experience and practice.
              Your practice is nothing PG...

Comment

Uh... i don't get it.

My practice is nothing? As in what? Where i go drifting is easy? Ummm there is a thread by Scirocco in the pics forum that shows a video of me and some friends drifting. If you think that turn is easy then you are more insane than me... simple as that.

Edit: Here/ Yeah its super easy: http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=8402
                Last edited by _PG_; 09-20-2004, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _PG_
                  Uh... i don't get it.

My practice is nothing? As in what? Where i go drifting is easy? Ummm there is a thread by Scirocco in the pics forum that shows a video of me and some friends drifting. If you think that turn is easy then you are more insane than me... simple as that.

Edit: Here/ Yeah its super easy: http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=8402
                  You crashed...

Comment

I crashed twice. in one night, in the same spot, actually. Its ok, i fuc.ked up, and learned more from crashing than i would have if i had made it. Crashing is enevitable and it is expected. I always keep that mentality.

How many cars have any of the top (D1 for instance) drivers gone through? SO MANY. "Drifter-X" Komatsu has gone through 7 cars, and he is a good drifter, not a "top" guy. He sure is better than almost everyone i know though.

I have crashed planty of times, some bad, some not. Oh well. If you haven't.... just wait.

Comment

Yup crashing is a part of drifting. Its inevitable if you push the limits and try new techniques or higher speeds. And to get to the level of the current professional drivers you would really need to push the limits. Nobody I know that drifts (me included here) is ever ashamed if we crash as long as we were pushing the limit. Now if we just plain screwed up or made some equipment error, then yeah maybe different story. But if it was balls to the walls then nothing to be ashamed of. I dont really push myself hard but I've crashed a total of 6 times on the track so far since I started drifting, and every time I've been lucky and not had crazy damage. I mean, yeah the paint got scratched or the panel got a little mangled, wheel bent up, maybe even the slignment got screwed, but nothing broke off, no glass flew, and I was able to drive away. Now I know other guys that have not fared as good, shattered lights, mangled front ends, broken suspension pieces, head-on's into telephone poles (at the track!), bent frames, car fires and engine fires, whole wheels with tires flying off!, people flipping upsidedown and land on the roof, even some guys that have been through multiple chassis that have been mangled many times, 60 mph glance off a guardrail a few times, that kind of stuff. It happens to everyone. Heck even happened to Alex once when he came to the first Signal event and barrowed Wendells grey 240. Yeah he made a mistake and tapped the wall but nobody was talking crap. It happens.

Comment

Bah to much techique jargen...To answer your question, genrally youd want to throttle steer, but it depends on what kinda turn, how fast your going, car setup, etc. Nevermind all that, back up and start from the basics. You should start by doing doughnuts, ideally in a skid pad if you can get access to one. There you can practice doing doughnuts by manipulating the throttle and steering. you will eventually want to make the radius of the circle as large as you can so it more like your drifting in a circle that just doing doughnuts.

Comment

Working...
                        X