Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*psycho music*
    FF Supra!? such a thing doth not exist.

a 30k RPM RX-7 would be pretty sweet. Imagine the shift points! Wouldn't they be really far apart?

Comment

Before you buy any of the cars mention above , why dont you buy The Drift Bible first ? Instead of buying a 84 Supra get a 85 RX-7, transplant a 20B. I would keep it carburated and match a 3 barrel Weber carb. The reason i would keep it carburated is beacuse if you change the car to EFI it would cost too much money and time. The power to weight ratio should be outstanding and for the price of a full turbo kit from HKS or Apexi You can buy a 20b block,then save some money for the carb i belive you can get a 3 barrell Weber style carb for about $1500. The list of things to do to modify the vehicle to this kind of performance would go beyond the few things i mentioned above. if you are interested, let me know and i can go in more detail and describle everything you would need.

Comment

Originally posted by SidewaysGts
        According to some information ive seen before and was posted here mazda tested the 12 and 13b engines, they hit 30 some thousand before they went out. Keep in mind rotaries only have 3 moving parts (4 for the 3 rotor)
        were these stock engines or were they heavily ported or something? because i didnt know your average everyday 13B could reach 30,000 rpms,otherwise i think that companies like Fujita Engineering and Evolutional Development, RE Amemiya, and MazdaSpeed would make tachometers that reach 30,000 rpms, and ive never seen one. Im not calling you a liar or anything its just a little hard to see any stock production car reach 30,000 rpms before it blows up.

Comment

i nvr heard of an ff supra.

Comment

there isn't a FF supra, people are thinking of the celica supra but then thinking its like a new celica and calling it FF

Also....im not to sure that they can spin up to 30k rpm, hell F1 motors can only rev up to 20k and those motors have millions invested in to them. But i gots a friend who is pretty much an expert on rotorys so ill ask him.

Comment

Heh i dont BLAME* ur skeptism, im not possitive about it; as i said just a piece of info i picked up. They supposedly just revved it as high and as fast as they could, they hit 30,000 before it blew. not saying it could sustain 30, or even 20. lot of our piston engiens can rev higher then they need to, but its pointless with no power gain from it. Just keep in mind theres not a lot to blow in a rotary, no connection rods to snap or conrod bolts to pop. Im sure if they kept it at 20,000 for logner it would have blown as well... i should really look into this if i knew what to search for and get some real asnwers..

Added: Holy crud cant believe i said that; "BLame" instead of "believe" whoops. Read the rest of the post it it should make sense
              Last edited by SidewaysGts; 11-17-2004, 08:36 PM.

Comment

this isn't a bash, just the conclusion ive come to after a little research.

well, after talking tThis isn't o people on RX7club.com and a friend of mine (owns a 7 twinturbo):

everyone has said they have never heard of a rotory that can rev that high. F1 motors can rev that high (sure because of a perfect balanced componets) but that is after millions (maybe billions) of dollars worth of R&D, they also have the best cooling systmes money can buy. 13bs (along with most other rotorys) are known to overheat and no company (besides mazda but they had the plug pulled) has ever put enough money in to researching technology so that the rotory motor to keep it cool under high amounts of heat. Sure, the motors can rev high (20k) but that is not how high they rev it too all the time, its a safety thing (like i think you stated above). The highist ive ever heard of a rotory motor rev to, and still make power, was 14-16k. 20k was a safty thing so when they downshifted. The apex seals would be dead after that much prolonged heat exposure. Also, with a 20-30k redline, the shift points would be insane. They would be so far apart, you would prob only use 2 or 3 gears, and that doesn't seem like enough for racing (besides drag).

Comment

Oh boy, thats probably my worst typo to date.

Anyways from what i understood it wasnt an engine built to be run like that at all, they just slammed the throttle and waited for the pop to follow. Thats as high as it got before it blew.
                  Last edited by SidewaysGts; 11-17-2004, 08:39 PM.

Comment

so we both got our points across, cool

Comment

yeah i was just skeptical about it because a)i was curious because i'd never seen or heard of a rotary engine, or any other engine really rev that high and b) since this is the newbie forum i didnt want a bunch of em thinking that rx7s that rev to 30k is something you see everyday, since i doubt a rotary engine would even create power at 30k rpm. But now i get what your saying about how they were just seeing how far they could push it before it burned out.

Comment

As i said i dont know if i believe it myself, its just something id find very itneresting it it was true. can you imagine the sound that thing would make?

Comment

Working...
                        X