240SX 5 Lug conversion Kit ,Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240SX 5 Lug conversion Kit ,Worth it?

.......... I know you can do a give lug conversion on a 240 using parts from teh 300z ............... I mean 5 lugs means you can ride some advan super generation 2! =)............. and I know they have skyline brakes that can also be installed after you do the conversion..................... is it really worth it? I mean ive seen teh difference between the size of the stock rotors and the skyline rotors................. and the stock brakes are only 2 piston I think and the skyline brakes are 4 piston.................. so that means you could brake a little better ( heat is distributed more over the larger rotor)............................. I want to know if it is really worth doing............

No

In my opinion no. 5 lug on 95 up 240sx was to support ABS. if you want stopping power go to fast brakes.com $299 gets you two Q45 slotted and dimpled rotors pads and clips specify you need 4 lug(Q45 rotors are 11 inch by 30ml thick) go to advance auto or who ever and for 59 bucks apiece after core charge you get a 2 piston Q45 calipers that bolts right on like the oem 240sx caliper. works great for me and you dont need to spend gobs of cash.

Comment

Yes, the 5 stud conversion will be worth it

Not only will you get a proper 4 piston caliper, you'll get a wider wheel selection

Just remember only the 'TYPE-M' Skyline brakes are 4 piston

Comment

I just got a couple of 5lug conversions.

Mine were made by ATTAIN and BATTLE CLUB (GTO)

Options include: Better brakes, Better wheel choices

If you go the oem route theres a bit of cutting involved, need to have a press and you have to source all of the used parts.

I went with those two companies because they are direct bolt-on replacement hubs and will install in about 10minutes.

Comment

how much did those bolt ons cost you?................... and whats a type M ... havn't heard of that before....

Comment

Read their info on the site...good stuff

http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2mot...s13fr5lug.html

There are ways to cut a few corners but having your wheels fall off or sumthin aint cooh

IE: DONT RE_USE OLD BEARINGS FROM YOUR 4LUG IF YOU DRIFT.

Comment

If you want to source the parts yourself for an OEM Front (S13-S14)
              you're gonna need: s14 spindle,s14 hubs,s14 ball joint pressed into teh s13 spindle
              sleeves around the s13 shock bolts to fit s14 spindle or you can enlarge the shock holes and use the s14 bolts.

S14 5lug Rotors or you can have the old 4 luggers re-drilled...again not the best.

hope this helps.

Comment

you can also use r32 2wd bottom arms they have the right ball joint and same bottom arm as the s13.

Comment

load of info man........ lol....... so you did this before drift girl?

Comment

yes its worth it.... why? mainly better rim selection.... and yea you could probly could do it the way everyone just said.... i did mine in the parking lot of where i live. the only things you need are

front:
                    s14 lower A arm
                    s14 brake/z32 brakes
                    s14/z32 rotor
                    s14 spindle
                    s14 hub
                    rear:
                    s13 lower A arm
                    s13 brakes (mainly because you dont have to mess with the
                    ebrake cable)
                    s14 rotor
                    s14 hub
                    s14 spindle

i dont get thing with the bolts for the shocks..... i just used my s13 ones and they fit fine even with the s14 spindle

if your gonna do this in a parking lot make sure you have the right tools... im sure everyone has the right size sockets and wrenchs but make sure you have a 36mm socket to pull the nut off the rear axles. youll also need a hammering device, i just used a stock tension rod to seperate the lower A arm from the spindle but its pretty easy stuff just bang on the side where the ball joint is located.

oh yea total price.... 4 hours of labor in the hot a$$ sun but only 140 bucks outta my wallet
                    Last edited by sil180sx; 08-02-2004, 07:01 AM.

Comment

well what size rims are you going to be using? Most 17" rims come in 4 lug. Exceptions to the rule I've generally seen are the newer Advan's which all seem to come in 5 lug only. But also keep in mind your budget. You ever planning on buying Advan's or Work Meister S1R's?

From my point of view, they're not worth it unless you plan on building a very showy car with 18"+ or some very expensive rims. The comment about "proper fitment with large calipers" is total bs. You can fit the z32 calipers under a 17" with proper offsets. If you plan on using a crazy caliper like the endless 6 pot then obviously you shouldn't even be asking about lugs since that would have already been done with some crazy rims. Additionally you'd only be able to fit those under an 18" and cost wouldn't be an issue if you're planning on spending about 4k for calipers brakes.

If you're planning on using sumitomo calipers (all nissans) they will fit the knuckle without issue. Your main issue would then be wheels, and 17" will clear those. The exception to the rule here is the sumitomo calipers made for the 3000gt will not bolt up to nissan knuckles even though they're also sumitomo, but they are also larger than the z32's if you want to compare.

The primary point of 5 lugs is just how large a seleciton of wheels you want and if you're willing to pay the premium for having those larger selection of wheels (primarily higher end wheels that'll probably cost as much if not more than your car stock).

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Comment

If there's a bolt on kit now i would do it. Not only will you have a larger selection of wheels, more serious drivers will have a greater selection of brakes as well.

back in the day (like 3 years ago lol) i probably would have skipped or postponed the 5 lug conversion just for the amount of work that goes into gaining a few wheel and brake selections.

Comment

180fan- You the man. I agree; 5-lug conversions are ONLY for better wheel selection. One can swap over the entire Z32 brake system and stay four-lug. For 99.9% of all street-driven S13s, that's enough. Nowadays, there are some 15s that fit the Z32 brakes, more 16s that fit, and plenty of 17s that fit. Hey, and if it doesn't fit, space it!

Comment

exactly. I don't personally like spacers too much but alot better than spending 2k+ for rims. I really don't see a point in that. Get some decent rims for 1k or less and put the other 1k into something better like new links for the rear lol

Comment

the number one downfall of the 240sx is there brakes anything better than stock is a upgrade if you drift you need to stop

Comment

Working...
                              X