No announcement yet.

350Z or RX-8??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one benefit about the SR that no one mentioned is weight.
    It's around 300 lbs. lighter than the VQ. It might be a little cheaper but probably not by much.

Comment

Originally posted by driftex
      It's around 300 lbs. lighter than the VQ. It might be a little cheaper but probably not by much.
      Plus I'm sure that you can set it back further to the middle of the car. Of course this kinda stuff is more for race/track use than street that's why people are pointing out that it's impractical. That's just my .02... if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by driftex

i think its only 200lbs, but anyways i priced it out and with dealer pricing and doing the labor myself, it would cost as much as a bolt on turbo kit, and be much more labor intensive. so if you werent doing it yourself youd spend an arm and a leg.
        unless your talking stock sr20, but you want the 400hp.

Comment

Originally posted by kairles
          why do a swap when you can procharge IT
          First off, just say no to prochargers... they are the number 1 (no joke) killer of vq's to date. I know first hand.

And second, alot of this information is wrong. You do not need to swap out the vq to be able to drift Z's well. I did it mainly because of the lack of aftermarket at the time. It was almost 2 years ago now! The SR saved about 200lbs. My SR has always been stock block and pushed 380whp-400whp depending on boost. And it is not laggy. I did break a bunch but it is a fun car to drive. The vq is a very good motor to use. Even though it may be big, it has a large aftermarket now and you can push 500whp/500wtq easily with hardly ANY internal work.
          www.chrisforsberg.com
          www.driftalliance.com
          www.nosdrift.com
          www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

ya the pro charger doesnt come with any sort of timing device in the kit.

Comment

thought i am rotary biased i would take a rx8, true the Z drifts great stock, ive seen its done personally. But if you have talent drifting either car shouldnt be a problem. It should all be based on skill. Im not that great of a drifter, but the better i get, i feel you should be able to drift almost any car no matter what. The rx8 as one of the other guys said would take faster entry. I think that can be asset. You want fast entry anyways, so why not learn with a 8?

Comment

[QUOTE=Topics II]First off, just say no to prochargers... they are the number 1 (no joke) killer of vq's to date. I know first hand.
                [QUOTE]

What is your, or anyone elses opinion ot the Greddy Twin Turbo Kit?? If not the Greddy Kit, would you supercharge, and what supercharger kit??

Comment

i think the best mod for a Z would be the AEBS stroker, but its way out of my price range. heard the espelir car in japan is a built NA, im gonna try to find out more about that car before i build mine.
                  but i wont worry about that till i get better.

Originally posted by Topics II
                  First off, just say no to prochargers... they are the number 1 (no joke) killer of vq's to date. I know first hand.

And second, alot of this information is wrong. You do not need to swap out the vq to be able to drift Z's well. I did it mainly because of the lack of aftermarket at the time. It was almost 2 years ago now! The SR saved about 200lbs. My SR has always been stock block and pushed 380whp-400whp depending on boost. And it is not laggy. I did break a bunch but it is a fun car to drive. The vq is a very good motor to use. Even though it may be big, it has a large aftermarket now and you can push 500whp/500wtq easily with hardly ANY internal work.

thanks chris, people constantly use you as an example to say the VQ sucks.

Comment

the pro chargers are now infamous for blowing up many vq's. check the 350z boards! But I would take the 350 due to aftermarket support, very reliable(used in many cars for years), and lots of replacemnet parts around, not as true for the rotary. And if you want the back seats go for the infiniti g35!! But also when you swap in another motor if you want to go through all the custom mounts, brackets, wiring, driveline etc. and probably throw off your weight balance, and cost alot more than just tuningthe vq(which is a japan motor) the Z is better for drifting from my experience(I have owned one and driven the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of the rx-8 before). the z is just unmatched by the rx-8. That is untill you get into heavy modifying and at that point then it will just be your preference, but since the guy is going to daily drive it, the z or infiniti would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronlosey
                      oh, and mike, i don't run 225s up front. that would be silly. i run 245s all the way around. and azenis sports are so last year, i'm running the new 615s i won at drift showoff : P

you were running 225's in front when i was whoring out your car at super secret road course test spot

Comment

Originally posted by hatebbobbarker
                        i think the best mod for a Z would be the AEBS stroker, but its way out of my price range. heard the espelir car in japan is a built NA, im gonna try to find out more about that car before i build mine.

espelir Z is NA with a nos sytem, not sure what kind

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                          espelir Z is NA with a nos sytem, not sure what kind
                          What he said, a built NA VQ w/NNNNNNAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSS

Comment

the n/a 350z in d1 has been in the last two option videos, but hasn't qualified yet, or even gotten through the first corner really, so you don't get to see how well it drifts, or the power it puts out. option video kinda creates characters out of the drifters, and just covers a small handful of them. in that way, they better entertain their viewers, but you miss alot of whats going on with all the different drivers there.

Comment

Originally posted by hatebbobbarker

AEBS is no longer in business from what I am told. They had a nice kit going on but there are other companies now that offer the 100mm sleeves and pistons.

I know people say that about me, but like i said before, i did the SR because of the lack of aftermarket support, to be unique, to lighten the car, and to be a cheaper buildup. But by no means do you NEED a SR to drift a 350z.
                              www.chrisforsberg.com
                              www.driftalliance.com
                              www.nosdrift.com
                              www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

[QUOTE=SidewayzRacer][QUOTE=Topics II]First off, just say no to prochargers... they are the number 1 (no joke) killer of vq's to date. I know first hand.

What is your, or anyone elses opinion ot the Greddy Twin Turbo Kit?? If not the Greddy Kit, would you supercharge, and what supercharger kit??
                                The greddy twin kit is very good and also affordable. little on the heavy side because of the cast manifolds, 2 turbos, and 2 wastegates... but it is overall a great kit.

I know the prochargers are a no go. But i dont know how well the other supercharger kits are performing with the vq.
                                www.chrisforsberg.com
                                www.driftalliance.com
                                www.nosdrift.com
                                www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

Working...
                                X