ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Board and looking for some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Board and looking for some advice.

First off want to just say hi to everyone. I have been reading up on some of the info on the site but i need some advice from people who have some experince. So here it goes...

I currently drive a 1993 Saturn SL1 5 speed manual front wheel drive. its packing about 80/85HP nuder her soft plastic hood but she gives me all she has and more.
    Friday I an puicking up a 2003 ZX3 Focus 5 Speed manual from the dealership....I know what some of you might say about the focus but with 5,500$+ off the sticker on a new car i can't say no ( A-plan + end year production discounts )
    Its also front wheel *cry*but i am looking to some some work on the intake and exhaust to improve the power some.

So now the questions.
    I am 23 and have a very nice long novel for a driving record so needless to say i'm not afraid to try new things with a car, plus having owned 5 out of 6 manual trans cars I am looking for ways to improve my driving skills, have some fun, and general find a way to keep myself busy these days.

So. A: How hard are front wheel drive cars to drift. My saturn gives me a little leway but damn if i know what i am doing.

B: Does anyone know about the Focus and how to, without extencive engine work, know how to boost the HP to the tires.

C: Can anyone recommend any good video's, websites, or people i could talk to about learning some of the basics of drifting. Like i said, i've had a manual since i was 16 ( now 23 ) so i like to consider myself fairly skilled with a manual. Just i want to know how to do more than just squeeze the most out of my cars trans/engine.

I'm not looking to "rice out" my car, no body kits or mods just pure preformance. I always wanted to take some POS and just smoke the stupid kids that blast around in their stock mustang or camero like they got 50K$ under the hood and they act all tuff but non of them would know how to drive a stick if i put a gun to their head. *vent*

I live in the Detroit area if anyone else lives in the area hit me up on AIM "Mabus Sensei" I work bartending and teaching English but I have a semi-flexible schedual and pick up things quick and am eager to learn.

I would appreciate any input you guys could give.

I would say the best learning related video out right now is the Drift Bible. But the best way to learn is by going out and trying it yourself. Look for any local drifting related track events and sign up. Even grip events like Auto-X and SCCA will help you get a feel for the car. Or if you dont mind the risk (police), practice on an empty parking lot. As for drifting FWD, its definately possible but the main downfall is that throttle does not induce oversteer. Meaning the tires will want to re-grip unless you do something about it. Most people use the handbrake (E-Brake) to hold the slide, but you can also use a clutch kick with weight transfer, and then use the handbrake to steady or correct. As for making more power with that Focus, well I dont think boltons will make a big difference. My mom owns a ZX3 and I wont lie, its really slow. In my opinion, forced induction is the only way to make alot of power with that car, and thats not a budget project by any means.

Comment

You can drift a FWD, but it takes alot of skill and practice to make it look good and make it worthwhile. My advice, use your A-plan to get something other than a Focus. Focus = same thing as Saturn for Drifting. If you can get the cool discount do this. This may come as a shock to you but dammmm would it be cool as all get out. Get a Crown Vic. Yes big 4 door American car. But it's RWD, has power and there is a decent aftermarket for it. Look at Bondurant. He was doing D1 with a Marauder. Same platform. Plus how cool would it be to see a big Crown Vic sliding around. Maybe even get it in black and make some "Drift police" stickers for it. WOW. I wish I still had A-plan. I'dd be at the dealer tomorrow.

I only tell you this because if you are seriously considering drifting, then a FWD is not for you. Yes it can be done but not nearly as easy as RWD. Plus if you are going to up the power on the Focus then your warranty will go "POOF". Get something that already has the power, set up and aftermarket support that you need. Crown Vic. Plus I don't think that the Crown Vic (as base as you can get it) is that much more than the Focus. Plus Mr Long driving record, the insurance will be L O W (because you are going to have to get full coverage) and no cops will give you a second glance.

Do what you want, but thats the way i'd go.

Comment

Are you seriously fixed on drifting? or will you give up on to other dare i say funner sports? Such as Gymkhana(Auto Cross) or Touge(mountain) racing?

Drifting is hard, even harder with a FF.

Auto Cross. has alot of aceptance of FF cars... unlike drifting most people wont hate on your FF car. But still your car will suffer to HP

Touge, on the otherhand elimates the handicap of HP. You need a good suspension and Good driving skills for touge. which you said you had good driving skills, and insted of putting intake and exausht on your car, put some stiffer springs and anti roll bars. if your interested in either of these opitons i said... look around on this board, theres some threads about both...

Comment

Drifting FF setup is NOT possible. But I dont think it will give you the same result as a FR setup.

FF setup for drifting is slower than an FR setting.
          why you ask?

When entering a corner with an FF setup, the torque and the steering is being powered in the front.

in drifting the front spins slower than the rear, with FR setup you can exit an apex alot faster vs. a FF setup.

but it still possible to drift an FF car.

So, in conclusion. If you are just showing off, an FF car would be okay. Now if you want to improve your skills (meaning you want to go faster into a corner) i would recommend that you look for an FR setup car.

Comment

Working...
          X