Shift lock (compression slide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift lock (compression slide)

“Initiated by downshifting (usually from third to second or fourth to third, and using a very fast shift) instead of braking, without rev-matching, causing the drive wheels to lock momentarily. Helpful for very tight corners, allowing the driver to approach the corner at a slower speed and lower revs, while allowing quick acceleration when exiting the corner. This technique can be very damaging to the engine if mis-used as the ECU is unable to rev limit when the engine is oversped by the rear wheels. Premature downshifters are called "Rod Stretchers".”

doubleu tee effff mate

Comment

Compression slides are a really effective way to get the car to drift. In fact it's one of the only ways to get an Open Diff to get both wheels spinning (from experience). It is increadibly hard on the engine if you do it wrong though. It's also hard on the tranny, the syncros, and the clutch. But generally professional cars don't need to worry about that.

Comment

why just a random post describing a shift lock? I mean doesn't everybody already know what it is why do we need a single post to descibe it when it have been talked about many many times before

Comment

^that and...... why talk about it? it's probably the worst possible way to start a drift just under putting trays under your rear tires in a fwd car

there's no practical use for it and plenty other better stuff you can do to make a car go sideways, open diff or not

Comment

Originally posted by cfrost View Post
            ^that and...... why talk about it? it's probably the worst possible way to start a drift just under putting trays under your rear tires in a fwd car

there's no practical use for it and plenty other better stuff you can do to make a car go sideways, open diff or not
            I'd have to dissagree with you. Yes there are many ways to initiate a drift. But compression slides are extremely effective. I'm not sure why you're saying it's not a good way to drift.

I've found it's more effective on underpowered cars, like the SR5. It was one of the techniques I used to get the thing to kick out. It's also a very predictable slide.

Saying it's the worst possible way to drift is far from correct. And just an FYI, some of the top drifters including Koguchi and Ueo use this technique.

Now I agree that starting a random thread about it isn't necessary, but don't diss a technique just 'cause you don't like it or can't use it.

Comment

sorry i'll try to learn something about drifting before i make a stupid post again

Comment

hahahahaha

Comment

sorry i'll try to learn something about drifting before i make a stupid post again
                  That's what a man does. Colifros is so legit.

Comment

I never said you didn't know the basics of drifting or questioned any of your knowledge for that matter. I was ranting on the statement that it's the worst way to innitiate a drift because it's far from accurate. If you want to make sarcastic comments that's fine and dandy, but it's a legit technique.

I could always come off with the n00b comment that if Keiichi Tsuchiya teaches it in drift bible it's a legit technique. I'm only joking at this point, but seriously, it works.

Comment

Working...
                    X