Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max HP From Stock SR20DET Bottom End?

the search isnt working for me......

curious on how much hp an sr20 bottom end can handle safely, daily driven.

as of now i am in korea, but when i get back to the states i'd like to sell my hybrid civic hatch and do a 240. i was hoping for 330+rwhp on a 6-7k engine budget including the engine utilizing a stock bottom end.

thanks for ANY info, links or whatever. this site has been very informative.

400 or more i dunno. but i do kno that u can get it over 350 stock before having to change some interal mods from what ive read.
    www.heavythrottle.com might have some info on what u need to kno.

Comment

i read a wile ago that phase2motortends project car got up to i think 493 with stock bottom but im not sure ill look into it

Comment

well i found this from phase2

they got over 400 horse form a stock sr20 motor

-check it out-

and another

Comment

Everything hinges on tuning with stuff like this. Detonation or melting pistons is usually what results in the fabulous death of stock blocks...in other words, poor tuning.

I know there's other people out there making that kind of power on stock bottom ends. You need to ask at one of the nissan sites, there's a lot more people on there that are actually doing what you want to then around here, where there's a lot of people talking about doing what you want to.

Comment

Well 330 rwhp will be pretty close to 400 crank hp wouldnt it (i just figured a 20% drivetrain loss, its usually more or less.. dunno what it is on the 240)? from what these guys are saying it seems possible but that would def' be the limit without upgrading to strogner internals.

Comment

US SR20DE bottom=400 hp
              JDM SR20DE bottom=600 hp

or so I've heard.....

Comment

it depends if this is going to be a track only car or a daily driver,

you will definantly need a new headgasket, i guess it depends on how your tuning is and the quality of the engine

you probably could get forged pistons and all the other goodies needed for 350ish hp for 7k

Comment

Enjuku did 544 at one time. Also, there was someone else that did a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by VersionS13
                    Enjuku did 544 at one time. Also, there was someone else that did a bit more.
                    That would be Scott (Enthalpy), formerly of Secret Services, now doing his own thing with ECU tuning. He made over 540whp hp on a stock SR20DET bottom end using a GT3040 turbo and a Motec stand alone system. There are a few videos online of his dyno and a test run afterward.

To answer the above question- the stock SR20 bottom end can handle 500whp WITH PROPER TUNING.. Don't think you'll ba able to bolt a big *Censored**Censored**Censored* turbo on there and call it a day. It takes time and experience to tune correctly.

350-400whp is easy on a stock bottom end with the right supporting mods. Just do the research on Fresh Alloy/Zilvia/240sxforums.
                    Last edited by Jaggorri; 12-20-2004, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Theres a local drifter here running SR20 putting out 380RWKW at 9000rpm in a 180sx, maybe not stock though...

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyH View Post
                        Theres a local drifter here running SR20 putting out 380RWKW at 9000rpm in a 180sx, maybe not stock though...

thanks for the heads up

9000 RPM? what was done to the head?

Comment

One the old XAT cars daily drove with well north of 500Rwhp on a stock bottom end.

Mattback did 9k rpm with some solid lifters and made like 235rwhp on stock boost or something silly way back when too.

However, it is worth noting that both these cars were extraordinarily fine tuned, and would not be a good idea to just replicate to the average American, and in the Time=Money equation, you'd probably be better off having a cookie-cutter shortblock build for safety instead of investing the time and top-shelf valvetrain and engine management required to make big big power on a stock bottom end.

If you're wanting to make anything more than 400rwhp, you should accept the fact that if you're going to play the game, you've gotta pay to play. Plus this way you can just ram a bunch of air/fuel into it, and make big power without some crazy high-rpm valvetrain that is built up just for the pissing-contest-purpose of making silly power on a stock bottomend.

For every car making 500rwhp on a stock bottom end, there are 100 more making just as much power with a super-simple built motor, and 2000 less RPM and probably less overall cash spent on the drivetrain. High RPM makes a lot of power, but costs an incredible amount.

Comment

The Rotora car I built did 438hp at the wheels and lasted at least a year...thats running a surge tank style fuel system with larger feed line and Bosch 044 fuel pump, GReddy TD06 at like 1.2-1.3bar.
                            Ernie Fixmer
                            Formula Drift/VR Motoring/Robinson Helicopter
                            Lakewood, CA 90712

Comment

My friend Hidenori Yamakawa built the first engine in the RHD car and it did like 450 rwhp for 3 yrs.
                              Ernie Fixmer
                              Formula Drift/VR Motoring/Robinson Helicopter
                              Lakewood, CA 90712

Comment

Working...
                              X