Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4AGE Motor vs SR20DET

Hi guys

ive got a B210 datsun (yes the ugly one) its been in the fam for ages and ive finally got enough cash to finish the SUPER DORIFTO project that is....

Project D

Hatchi-Sun

Now ive got a 4age at home that im ready to plonk into the Datto, but ive been thinking about getting the SR20.

This will only be a drift car and toy.
    So I ask this of you....

-Which motor is best for this application.

-Will I have enough power if I opt for the 4age

-which will be easier to learn on.

-And which will be more cost effective in the long run.

The B210 only weighs 775Kgs stock, so i dont wanna overwhelm the chassis with more power than ill need. (the car is stripped at the moment.

rumour has it that talent scouts will be in South Africa to take a few guys back stateside to promote drifting.

a handfull of peeps here are at the crest of this wave, so I need to impress, BIG TIME!

later guys
    tx
    E

do you like high revving motors with no torque and a very small "power" band?

or do you like a turbo engine that you wont have to clutch kick all over the track to keep your 185's spinning?

(no disrespect to the 4ag, but honestly thats the truth)

Comment

it all depends on what you want.if you want response,its 4age
      but you want roll in torque its turbo sr
      i preffer 4age because sr is like a video game drift
      all u really have to do is steer.with 4age you really have to be in the moment/clutch kick/and everything!
      thats just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Ris4drift
        do you like high revving motors with no torque and a very small "power" band?

or do you like a turbo engine that you wont have to clutch kick all over the track to keep your 185's spinning?

(no disrespect to the 4ag, but honestly thats the truth)
        That "small" powerband motor your talkin about owns cars with 4 times its output. It all depends on you. The 4age is by no means a bad platform but niether is the SR20. With the SR you get about 180 horsepower and the 4age you get about 130-140. Seeing as you already have a 4age take that , why spend more money on something that isn't really necessary.

Comment

You guys forget. This is a toy only.

You're wanting to impress, right? Get the SR20. It's got enough torque to keep you sliding for longer. With the 4AGE, you're going to need to keep clutch-kicking or using other methods to keep the drift going.

And, you can get as much horsepower as you could need with the SR20, anywhere from 160-250 stock.

With SR20, parts are readily available. Withe the 4age, you're going to spend lots of time seaching club4ag.com.

Comment

4ag parts are actually alot easier to come by than sr parts here in SA.

I reckon that I'll use the 4ag so long, and maybe next year upgrade to the SR.

Maybe It would be good to learn the techniques that the 4ag will teach me.

Comment

id get the SR plus id keep it nissan. if you really wanted something lightweight and a different manufacturer go with a 13b. the 4age is the last thing id want unless im driving an 86.

and to nismo sigma...no way can a stock 4AG give you 130-140hp
              more like 80-100hp. unless you have a 20v.

Comment

my engine is the 96kw motor, thats abotu 120hp ad to that that itll be running on sides, im looking to get about 130 horses at the fly.

Comment

actually a high comp red top 16v non tvis does give you about 130-hp buddy

and its true these lil 1.6 liter naturally asperated motors usually take 2.0 turbos seeing as 2.0 is already bigger and with a turbo and the beautiful 4ag be taking it.

Comment

i still dont see the amazement in a 4age engine in a different chassis. rotary all the way for old school cars !!!!

Comment

as a rule of thumb i'd say stick with motors form the same manufacturer. things are usually more likely to fit and work well together.

Comment

Originally posted by ferny
                        actually a high comp red top 16v non tvis does give you about 130-hp buddy

and its true these lil 1.6 liter naturally asperated motors usually take 2.0 turbos seeing as 2.0 is already bigger and with a turbo and the beautiful 4ag be taking it.
                        actualy it dosn't and it never has. Every dyno run of a 4age "hi comp" has been like 92 whp. The rates were very hyped up and were off by a lot. And the high comp motor is a joke 10.2 high comp is really funny if you have every delt with hondas.

Its easy you want to spend 3k and get 160hp or spend 3k and get 250 its up to you.

Comment

i rather spend 3 k and get 160

Comment

Originally posted by tonesdef
                            actualy it dosn't and it never has. Every dyno run of a 4age "hi comp" has been like 92 whp. The rates were very hyped up and were off by a lot. And the high comp motor is a joke 10.2 high comp is really funny if you have every delt with hondas.

Its easy you want to spend 3k and get 160hp or spend 3k and get 250 its up to you.

thank you

Comment

why you guys hating on a 4AGE,... i think its funny

i dont mind the SR20DET its a great motor just more of a toyota guy

but why hate on the 4AGE? because of what it could do? a 1.6 N/A drifting as good as the turbo 2 liters? its a great motor and i think u guys should stop hating.

Comment

Working...
                              X