(TODAY) RED BULL Drifting World Championship LONG BEACH Nov 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick question....

Can all the other teams out there with Energy Drink Sponsors still run the stickers???

Can we still rock the Roackstar on the side of the car?

Haven't heard anything about the rules, but I bet that would be one question.

Comment

Originally posted by RAM GARAGE View Post
      the top 16 guys in fd earned their spots they should have it
      agreed, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be that way

Comment

OK lets get real, we are acting like the top 16 on the US side are some of the best of the best

Turek is ranked 7th in standings....with 317 points

Now Dmac on the other hand is ranked 8th with 237... that's a huge gap

Even though Dmac had missed vegas, there is still 7 other seeded drivers that that are 90+ points away from Dmac and 180pts from the championship leader... that can easily be made up with a win, but lets be real.

most of the time, its the same 7/8 drivers who make the great 8. Once again, brings back to the statement of what the Japanese drivers have been saying for ever "there is a huge gap in skill and or funding from the USAs best and the USAs decent.

All I'm saying is having the top 16 FD drivers seeded is definitely not the best of the best and IMO not entertaining at all. Best part of these end of the year events is seeing all the unfamiliar faces, styles and techniques. Yes I know, D1 comes into town with a whole fleet or drivers. And for the first few years, they were the main ones competing... but all in all we only see japan 1 or 2 times a year and this year none.

We don't see much of the other countries. And with this coming after pro am and sema, I'm not saying just randomly pic a few bums to run with the big boys, but at least have a few open spots for competition.

And lets just remember, this is the 3rd event in so cal (if you don't count vegas) and the second event in long beach. At least try to give us some variety.

Comment

Having 16 out of 32 drivers increases the chance of someone from FORMULA D winning the event. I think that's what FORMULA D is hoping for.

There is a huge driving/drifting discrepancy between FD's Top 10 drivers and the rest. The drivers ranked 11-16 will be just taking up space. I would bet that only the Top 6 FD guys have a real shot of winning the whole event.

Maybe FD should just expand the field and invite the TOP 2 or 3 of each governing body mentioned in their post. That way it could be a true world championship, with somewhat more of an equal representation of countries. It's a 2 day event so there's plenty of time.

By the way, who is judging the event? Will there be an additional judge or judges to go along with FD's 3 amigos? That's something I think needs to be considered to prevent any unwanted drama regarding the scoring.
          Last edited by OldSkool510; 09-10-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Like it

I like almost everything that Formula D is proposing for the event. I look forward to the TV deal, especially if it will be live or close to it. I know there are individuals on here who have a disdain for those of us who want DVD's to be a priority in the business model, but I'd like a permanent record in a high-quality format of this historical event, preferably with some commentary tracks. It's going to be awesome!

I think the overlap question is legit, however, as Darren McNamara, IIRC is possibly a champion in one of the european series. Likewise of the D1GP there have only been 7 champions in D1GP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D1GP if the wiki is correct which leaves, since Ryuji Miki is highly unlikely to lose a top 16 spot, just the 6: Kawabata (2007), Kumakubo (2006), Kazama (2005), Imamura (2003), Ueo (2002), and Taniguchi (2001) for the 5 spots, unless of course Imamura wins it in 2008. Ueo hasn't really been that competitive for a long time, if I understand aright.

Honestly I'm glad I don't have to figure it out because if I were doing the inviting I'd want to find a way to include Nomura Ken even though he's not a champion since he's as zany as anything and is a fan favorite.

Kudos to Formula D for reaching out to the professional drift associations of the world!!!
            Last edited by ; 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Father_V View Post
              I like almost everything that Formula D is proposing for the event. I look forward to the TV deal, especially if it will be live or close to it. I know there are individuals on here who have a disdain for those of us who want DVD's to be a priority in the business model, but I'd like a permanent record in a high-quality format of this historical event, preferably with some commentary tracks. It's going to be awesome!

I think the overlap question is legit, however, as Darren McNamara, IIRC is possibly a champion in one of the european series. Likewise of the D1GP there have only been 7 champions in D1GP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D1GP if the wiki is correct which leaves, since Ryuji Miki is highly unlikely to lose a top 16 spot, just the 6: Kawabata (2007), Kumakubo (2006), Kazama (2005), Imamura (2003), Ueo (2002), and Taniguchi (2001) for the 5 spots, unless of course Imamura wins it in 2008. Ueo hasn't really been that competitive for a long time, if I understand aright.

Honestly I'm glad I don't have to figure it out because if I were doing the inviting I'd want to find a way to include Nomura Ken even though he's not a champion since he's as zany as anything and is a fan favorite.

Kudos to Formula D for reaching out to the professional drift associations of the world!!!

Great attitude, That sounds like the way people should be thinking versus blazing the MONUMENTAL EVENT up.....

Just buy a ticket, you'll be stoked!!!!!!!

Comment

Well if J ROD is gonna be there, I'll DEFINITLY go

Comment

You guys are killing me. These need to be a lil' more spread out
                  Hopefully I can afford to go.

Is this gonna be the track layout as the FD Longbeach in the beggining of the year?

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                    Is this gonna be the track layout as the FD Longbeach in the beggining of the year?
                    No.. more high speed, no cage, I'm thinking more like vegas.

J Rod, this is your biggest event as well....stay focused the world is watching

Does anyone know the D1 standings??? All the website I know of are in Japanese

I was hoping koguchi for the championship.

Comment

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008...-2008-wip.aspx

Apperantly Saito Daigo's in the lead with a Chaser. Not sure how up to date it is though.

Comment

Doing a little translating

From d1gp's website we have: http://www.d1gp.co.jp/pointranking_2008.html

順位 ドライバー..第1戦 第2戦 第3戦 第4戦 第5戦 第6戦 第7戦 年間P
                        1 斉藤太吾........14位...2位....4位....4位....1位....7位...... ......97
                        ......................3......22.....17.....17..... .26....12
                        2 今村陽一.........7位...14位...5位....1位....4位....2位...... ......91
                        ......................11.....3......13.....26..... .17....21
                        3 野村 謙..........2位....8位....6位....6位....2位...15位....... ....80
                        ......................22.....10.....13.....12..... 21.....2

I have a cheap little PC translator program which fortunately has a proper name dictionary list. So, if I read it right:
                        斉藤 = Saitou (remember they list family name first) 太吾 = Daigo
                        今村 = Imamura 陽一 = Youichi
                        野村 = Nomura 謙 = either Ken or Kenji. Either way this is Nomuken.

I take the top #'s to be the event #, the 2nd number to be the place of the driver in the event, and the third # to be the # of points earned, and the far right column the total points.

If I read it correctly, with only one event to go if Daigo gets a #1 no one can stop him, and even with a #2 show he wins, since the difference in 1st and 2nd places is only 4 or 5 points. Pending a total engine blow or something in that order, Daigo only loses if he places 3rd or lower and Imamura gets 1st.

Last round is October 25/26, 2008.

I'm willing to be corrected by anyone with more knowledge.
                        Last edited by ; 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Looks like we have a new announcement:

http://www.formulad.com/blog/?p=609

Fredric Aasbo from the Nordic Drifting Series was already announced for spot 26.
                          Frederic “Steady Freddy” Girard representing Drift Mania Canadian Championship for spot 18.

Comment

Best in the world???

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Q6Qo3QSxhw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Q6Qo3QSxhw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yea, I know the circumstances were not in his favor... cold track, not a whole lot of practice

But that's why I say if we want to see the best of the best, we need to have a bit of qualifying.

Comment

best grip driver in the world.. maybe.....

Comment

Is there any kind of schedule up anywhere? Trying to find out if there are tickets to both days, and what's happening each day.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X