(TODAY) RED BULL Drifting World Championship LONG BEACH Nov 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buttsy View Post
    Congrats FD for such a cool event! Hope your ready for a load of crazy Irish over though hehe

See some of you guys at SEMA and FD the week after, Party on!

Buttsy
    uh oh, there goes the neighborhood! Buttsy's coming to town!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim @ FD View Post
      GUYS!

"Invited" does not mean confirmed or RSVPed. We have also reached out to a bunch more international drivers. Those released were just the first batch. Please consider that it costs a lot to bring a team and a car here and the drifting world is not made up of millions like F1 or NASCAR. US fans, please be thankful these international teams are busting their asses to get here and Red Bull is making all this possible. Come out and show your appreciation. This our first attempt to bring all the true champions and top ranked drivers from around the world here and not just our "friends", hope you support us.

BTW... D1 TBA = tell D1 to RSVP our invitation; no name means, no RSVP. You guys want to see Imamura or Kumakubo or Saito or Kawabata... call the D1 office.

We'll have the official entry list soon. Stay tuned.
      im simply saying..get ahold of team burst...and invite them

Comment

Seriously

Lets get down to business

35 bucks for each day.... 70 bucks for a weekend???!!???!!!

D1 never hosed us like that, it will be the biggest rip off since nopi LA.

I already know a lot of the pro am dudes are disappointed with the cost of there event and all. So we might not have many proams for the 15th event.

45 bucks for 2 days please????? thank you!!!

Or just have the first day all out free or like 10 bucks or something, its a amateur event!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
          Seriously

Lets get down to business

35 bucks for each day.... 70 bucks for a weekend???!!???!!!

D1 never hosed us like that, it will be the biggest rip off since nopi LA.

I already know a lot of the pro am dudes are disappointed with the cost of there event and all. So we might not have many proams for the 15th event.

45 bucks for 2 days please????? thank you!!!

Or just have the first day all out free or like 10 bucks or something, its a amateur event!!!
          Blaze, if you look, it says 2 day passes for $35.00.

2 Day Pass - Red Bull Drifting World Championship
          Nov 15-16th 10a-4p Each Day
          Track Location: Pier S, Port of Long Beach

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFD View Post
            Blaze, if you look, it says 2 day passes for $35.00.

2 Day Pass - Red Bull Drifting World Championship
            Nov 15-16th 10a-4p Each Day
            Track Location: Pier S, Port of Long Beach
            *eats humble pie*

was that always there???

I could have sworn I went on there the day of the release and nothing about it being 2 days for 35 bucks

But Like I said before, thumbs up FD...

Comment

Big props to Formula D for doing this event! Hope it is very successful and wish I was in the states to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by deadpirate View Post
                im simply saying..get ahold of team burst...and invite them
                listen to this man.

Comment

Tickets will be purchased tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Comment

I havent seen it yet. But is there an offical drivers list yet? If not what is the deadline for drivers to commit or is it all going to be a suprise for the non FD drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
                      I havent seen it yet. But is there an offical drivers list yet? If not what is the deadline for drivers to commit or is it all going to be a suprise for the non FD drivers?
                      official drivers list will be announced at SEMA.

FD has been announcing the invited drivers via their blog for a few weeks now, although not all drivers have comitted yet.

Comment

Promo Video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbATw3u-U60&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbATw3u-U60&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

Gary Whiter Added to International Set of Drivers
                          Posted by john

Gary Whiter - D1NZ
                          Hometown - Dargaville, New Zealand
                          Car - 1997 Nissan Silvia S14.5

Growing up in a predominant farming area called Dargaville which is situated in the upper north of the north island in New Zealand, Garry known as Gaz was initially more of a dirt bike guy, he had a good friend that belonged to the dominating New Zealand drift team called Driftcorp that initially introduced him to the sport of drifting in 2004, after seeing how it works Garry set out to obtain his first car being a 1989 Nissan Cefiro which around that time was a typical choice for any person starting off drifting, NZ had an abundant supply of Skylines and Cefiro’s they were cheap to buy and easy to setup to skid.

Although he was still a rookie to the sport and was competing against the best in the NZ business, with the Cefiro he was nearly always a fixture in top 16, He spent some time in his Cefiro. Looking back now it was basically a stepping stone for research and driver development, it didn’t take long to outgrow his full potential due to the smaller power and setup of his car.

It was then that he and his Father purchased his first Nissan Silvia S14 and set out to build it to compete with the higher level drifters. This in turn paid off as he was getting podium finish after podium finish, with this set up he achieved two very close D1NZ series overall runner ups and finally the long awaiting crowning of the overall D1NZ Driftking for 2008.

In the short downtime of 3 months His father Tony and Garry built yet another S14.5 completely from scratch with new and improved ideas and setups, this vehicle now is faster and more reliable running a PPG gearbox, it looks set to be at a world wide competitive grade. Garry himself has an appetite for improvement and is highly competitive he is also an extremely reliable and consistent competitor much to the delight of his sponsors. He thanks most of his success to his very supportive father Tony Whiter who motivates him and is there with him every step of the way..

In the NZ Drift scene Gaz is regarding as one of the most laid back happy go lucky drivers, he knows how to have a good time but come race day is 100% focused on the task at hand and always aims to win. He’s always easily approachable and ready to talk to his fans and sponsors.
                          For his future career he plans to be more involved with competing in international Level, with the support of his father and his dependable team mates in DriftCorp he will be sure to achieve his dream.

Comment

Eric O Sullivan Added to International Set of Drivers
                            Posted by john

Eric O Sullivan - ProDrift
                            Hometown - Dublin, Ireland
                            Car - Toyota Corolla Vtec-86

Im Eric O Sullivan, 28 years old from Dublin, Ireland.I’ve been riding a BMX as long as I can remember and progressed to motorcycles winning an Irish National Trials Championship at 17.I learned to drive the same year and began modifying and tuning street and show cars before becoming involved in race and rally car preparation.

I discovered drifting in 2004 when I watched a dvd about the street drifting scene in Osaka Japan.Soon after, I bought a cheap AE86 corolla, my first ever rear wheel drive car that I leaned to drift in the industrial areas of south Dublin during the winter.I changed this car for a 20 valve corolla in 2005 and began to compete in the Irish national championship.After failing to qualify at my first two events I finished 2nd in the following two rounds and also qualified to compete against the D1 drivers in the Silverstone exhibition match.

I decided to build a more competitive car after the D1 event and spent most of 2006 building my Vtec powered AE86.I ran the car late in the 06 season and developed a set up with the 2007 Prodrift series in mind.I won 5 of the 6 rounds in the ’07 series and finished 3rd in the other, an amazing season that made all the hard work the previous year worthwhile.

2008 began with a new sponsor, Rockstar Energy Drink, who had just launched their product in Europe.I could now afford to travel abroad and compete in the Prodrift European Series and the UK based JDM Allstars triple crown series.I suffered with a lack of power on some of the larger European tracks but managed to win round 3 in Sweden and finish 3rd overall in the Prodrift championship.

The JDM Allstars series would provide the highlight of the year for me, winning round 2 of the series at Wembley stadium in London.This was the biggest event to ever happen to drifting in Europe, bringing our sport to an iconic location in a major city for the first time.Im very proud to be the first winner of this series that is run by drivers for drivers, giving us some of the best publicity and exposure in the European scene.

Away from drifting, I work 5 days as a mechanic in a Volvo dealership and I’d usually spend 3 nights a week in my own workshop. My friends and myself are all Honda drivers so I’ll work on their cars as well as preparing my corolla for any upcoming events. Whenever I do get away from the tools I’ll be down the local concrete park on my bike with the lads or hanging out with my girlfriend Amy G.

I’m honoured to represent Prodrift and all the Irish drivers at the Red Bull World Drifting World Championship in Long Beach. I’ll approach this as I do every other event, drift as fast as possible with crazy angle to entertain the US fans .

Comment

James Deane Added to Driving Talent
                              Posted by john

James Deane - ProDrift
                              Hometown - Castletownroche, Co, Cork, Ireland
                              Car - 1998 RB26 Silvia S14.5

James comes from a strong Motorsport family background with both is father and uncle recognised as 1980’s rallying legends in Ireland. His brother Mike was one of the first ever people to win a drifting competition in Ireland back in 2003 when James was only 12 years old. From this day James was obsessed with being a drifter. In 2006 his brothers Mike and Kenneth entered him in the Prodrift Junior Championship drifting in a ford sierra. He finished 3rd. At this stage James and his family went on and bought his current Silvia which was running completely standard at the time. In Prodift Round 2 2007 at Rosegreen in Tipperary, Ireland, James managed to see off all the more experienced drivers and won the event at 15 years old. As far as we were aware this made him the youngest driver in the world to win a Professional drift competition. He was later placed 9th overall for the 2007 season and was awarded the title of rookie of the year 2007.

At Prodrift IRL Round 1 2008 @ Mondello Park racing Circuit in Ireland & In front of 7000 spectators James finished 5th overall being knocked out by the legendary Damien Mulvey

Prodrift Europe Round 1 2008 @ Mondello Park Racing Circuit in Ireland
                              In front of 7000 spectators James was to finish 4th overall and earn very valuable points in the championship.

Prodrift Ireland Round 2 2008 @ Tipperary Raceway Rosegreen in Ireland
                              Again with record crowds in attendance at the Irish home of drifting. James was victorious over John O’Connell and scored his second win in Rosegreen.

Prodrift Europe Round 2 2008 @ Teesside Autodrome in the UK
                              James was narrowly beaten by Darren McNamara, a small mistake on the last corner costing him the win. But with again great championship points he want away happy

Prodrift Ireland Round 3 2008 @ Nutscorner Oval Circuit Northern Ireland
                              James qualified 2nd but was unlucky on the day and was out at the Top 16 stage for the first and last time in 2008.

Prodrift Ireland Round 4 2008 @ Ennis Street Circuit in Ireland
                              James was on fire from the start and took the win with ease.

Prodrift Europe Round 3 2008 @ Sturup Raceway in Sweeden
                              At the very high speed track in Sweden James found himself in a new environment. He put on a amazing show and came home in 3rd place.

Prodrift Round 5 2008 @ Mondello Park Racing Circuit in Ireland
                              James had a good run on the day but in the top 16 battle he came across Deane Kearney the eventual winner and had to settle for 9th.

Prodrift Europe Round 4 2008 @ in Finland
                              James was under powered from the start and had to settle for 9th place.

Prodrift Round 6 2008 @ Mondello Park Racing Circuit in Ireland
                              James qualified 6th on the day and finished 3rd and with that he won the 2008 Prodift IRELAND Championship

Prodrift Europe Round 5 2008 @ Lydden Hill racing circuit in UK
                              James went to this event with a new RB26 engine gearbox and suspensions setup. This could have gone against him in that he might not been able to adapt to the setup quickly. This was no the case and after only 5 practice runs he was on the money. He qualified 2nd and then went on to storm up the field to an eventual 2nd place finish. This also gave him the title of Pro Drift European Champion
                              In 2008, James managed to win both Prodrift Irish and Prodrift European Championships which has been a huge achievement for him at just 16 years old. James is delighted to be representing Ireland & Europe @ Long Beach and to be taking part in the Red Bull World Drifting Championships.

Comment

Ben Broke-Smith Added to International Roster
                                Posted by john

Ben Broke-Smith - EDC
                                Hometown - Solihull, Birmingham, UK
                                Car - 1990 Toyota Chaser JZX81, 1JZ Single Turbo

Right from an early age I’ve been obsessed with cars and driving, spending my entire childhood waiting for the day I could get my driving license. As soon as I could drive, the first priority was RWD, going straight out and buying a BMW 5 series. All I wanted to do was to be able to drive RWD cars with the natural ability of drivers like Tiff Needel, people I’d watched on TV as a kid. After only having my license for a year I attended a BMW day at Rockingham circuit, and met a now-good friend of mine and pillar of the UK drifting scene, Julian Smith, as soon as I saw him drifting his E30 M3 around the circuit I was instantly hooked. From then on I attended drift days in my bone stock BMW E28 525i, eventually getting the diff welded. From that step on, I gradually got more and more cars, tearing them apart and turning them into drift machines, gradually moving on to more and more powerful machines, but always BMWs. After blowing up an E36 M3 more times than I’d like to remember a couple of years ago, I decided to go JDM, and purchased an R32 Skyline GTS-T. This was 2006, the first year I really took things seriously. In my first year of competition I finished 5th overall, in a very home-brew car, spending most of the year battling it out with only 240bhp, a set of coilovers and a welded diff. This was the first year Driftworks sponsored me, Phil & James had been friends for a while, but this year I’d get to know them better and occupy more space in their workshop, creating mess wherever I went!!…. 2007 saw me in a JZX81 Toyota Chaser, probably not the most sensible car to buy, but it matched my pre 2006 image of different cars, a big 4 door but now JDM. I had a good year, but some poor design decisions on the Chaser meant that I had troubles with reliability all year, constantly breaking things and making my life difficult. 2008 saw me develop the car and my skills to the point where I could put in a reliable, consistent performance. The Chaser was now on Federal tyres, running 560bhp and reliable, a winning combination!!!! The combination of continued support from Driftworks and consistently using the same tyres helped me take the championship, something I’d worked hard for over the last few years!!

Outside of drifting seems to always be filled with cars, constantly working on the drift car to get it ready for the next event. Work life is at Driftworks, where I’m the sales manager, using all my skills and knowledge to help advise everybody on which parts they need. I get to work with my friends, Phil, James and Mel. When I’m not driving cars, fixing cars or at work talking to people about their cars, you’ll find me spending time with Laura (my girlfriend) and with my friends and family, generally doing normal things like normal people!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X