This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topics II
    I tried to be honest and professional in my first post... but obvisously nobody ever cares about that and shoots their mouth off. Theres no reason to say that about those two. They are coming for your entertainment and you call them idiots...
    I'm trying to be as professional as I can, obviously it's a touchy subject. I'm not going to tone down how strongly I feel about certain things, and I feel that they shouldnt be there. Or if they're coming to watch, why make a huge deal out of it? Is he going to shoot a bottle rocket out of his a$$ to entertain the ground while Bucky Lasek does 360 flip over him? Great material at a drift event.

Comment

There was never a point that rice was or will be cool. With drifting it is cool, it cant go down. I think that idiots with some crappy riced out cars will probally wann drift but i wouldnt worry too much. "ANY PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY"... but than again.. maybe not!

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon X
        I'm trying to be as professional as I can, obviously it's a touchy subject. I'm not going to tone down how strongly I feel about certain things, and I feel that they shouldnt be there. Or if they're coming to watch, why make a huge deal out of it? Is he going to shoot a bottle rocket out of his a$$ to entertain the ground while Bucky Lasek does 360 flip over him? Great material at a drift event.
        Indeed, this is a touch subject. I prefer it for some people(the negative ones) to shove it up the ying yang...

Comment

not to change the subject but, i would like some comments on my e-mail, i want this e-mail to be from many members of drifting.com not just me. Since some of you are too lazy to go back and read it here it is again

I am not sure if this is the correct person to contact, so if you wouldn't mind please forward this to who it needs to be read by.

Look at your recent ad's for Formula D at Irwindale, when did drifting become an import showoff? Drifting is strictly about cars drifting, thats it! There is no reason why Ryan Dunn ( a crazy law breaker, watch just one CKY ) should be there, same with Bucky Lasek, he is a skateborder not a race car driver. I know sex sells but seriously there is no reason why I should see a woman in see-through underwear on the advertisement for a CAR EVENT. Also, like I said earlier, drifting is about cars that can perform, not trailer queens that go from one show to the other, so you need to get rid of the 300 show cars, especially the celeberity, movie, and VIP cars; REAL drifters only want to see REAL drift cars, no show cars with no wear on the tires and no dents and dings on the body. In conclusion, I just want to say this is the wrong way for drifting to go, take a hint from D1 in Japan, they are more succesful yet not near as "showy". And do not believe I am the only person that thinks this way check out this thread ( http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...0918#post90918 ) at drifting.com ( the number one "hangout" for REAL drifters )

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
            I would like to hear from formula d drivers or organizers what they do or plan to do for grass roots drifting in america. I personally don't think we are ready for profesional competition when we havn't successfully figured out how to do it for fun.
            Ironic you bring that up.Chris got picked up at a DG Trials event.Boy times have changed,same with POV's regarding drifting too.

D1 is more organized,the rules are not extended,flexed,pushed,or bent for anybody.Not sure if the same can be said for Formula D,lets not go down that road again.

Also,hate to say this,but really.D1 has been going for nearly four years,and 3 of those were in Japan(unless you consider the exhibition in August,2003).Drifting competitions have been on the track in Japan for 18 years.Once again,I hate to try and explain Japanese levels (among people in groups),and explain things.But really,compared to the Japanese who have been doing this for 18 years,where does that put Americans on the todem pole? Experince,skill,and time deserves respect.Something the Americans haven't had a lot of,considering it's only been two years over here.So why should the more inexperinced Americans input be taken over the more experinced drivers from Japan? They are the elders,the Americans are the children growing,learning,and striving to become better.Like in most cases,the elders seem to know what's better.Once again,I hate to word things like that.

As for the comment about Tsuchiya,lost in translation again.You have to realize,that man is the king on the ladder.He's worked his way there.In Japan,they tend to respect their elders,the drivers who've worked there way to that position.You may call it a dictatorship,but that's normal for any kouhai.The kouhai listens out of respect,and does what he's told out of respect as well.Not trying to turn this into a Japanese 101 class.

Comment

Hey guys, Ali here, I've competed in the past two events in Houston, and Sonoma. I don't post here very often, but I feel like sharing on this topic. I'm pretty sad to see all the negative comments about Slipstream and the efforts that they are putting in to bringing professional drifting to the United States.

By all means, I am a pure enthusiast and enjoy nothing more than driving (drifting) every second I can, and I've never really understood the whole show car thing, but I greatly respect the effort that people put into their cars, because even though it's not what most of us here do, they love their cars just as much as us. Formula Drift / Slipstream are bringing people together so everyone can understand what drifting is all about, because that’s what this sport needs in it’s infancy stages. What do you think the car show people are saying on their forums right now?

"Ahhh, why do we have to watch stupid drifting, we should only have show cars at HIN"
              OR
              "Wow, how cool is that?!?!? We get to watch drifting, AND see a big car show in one event! I’m there!!!"

I agree that this sport should be treated as a pure motorsport like any other form of professional racing, but you also have to consider that the audience for drifting right now is young, as is the sport here itself. As the sport matures in this country, so too will the audience and fan base. From a driver’s perspective, I greatly appreciate Formula Drift doing everything they can to keep the series alive, growing, and healthy. Coming from a road racing background where every series is struggling for fans, Slipstream has a VERY difficult job to do, and I think we all need to be a little more patient with what the sport has in store for us. I'm sure we will all be very pleased with the outcome. It's just going to take a little time, as these things don't happen overnight.

Comment

Lets stop this arguement with chirs and touch on the subject at hand. No more of this. Its not productive, and isnt creating any good points, just worthless battles. If you have something worth hearing like the current posts above then put it up.
                Last edited by P1STON2ROTARY; 08-09-2004, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Im grateful that all american competitors have a job. I am grateful that they are being recognize. I know that you guys came a long way to be at this level. And im pretty sure you guys dont give a rats a$s on what's happening outside the TRACK. But the majority of the concerns here are more towards the outcome on the whole presentation of an "Drifting Event". Majority of the people here wants to see more Drifting vs. showy cars. We would like to exchange stories, parts and see more performance related products.

Like I said before Show Cars have their place. So why add unnecessary amenities that does not relate to PERFORMANCE or DRIFTING? I like supporting people that deserves it, but adding things that shouldn't be there, doesn't make it appealing to someone that's willing to support the culture.

Now about the whole "HAIL KEIICHI TSUCHIYA". It's not because he's the "DRIFT KING" it's because he's a great asset to the whole drifting movement. AND they are japanese. They are more respectfull than us. We dont stand behind a smaller man. They are respecting him because of what he did to the whole movement. So they are only paying their respect to a guy. Im pretty sure they dont only respect TSUCHIYA, they respect all of the "Founders", the "movers and shakers" that enables them to make an event happens.

Comment

So you're saying the kids will mature from wanting to see HIN models, Ryan Dunn, and Bucky Lasek to...what exactly? Budweiser drift tanks and Ja Rule on the skidpad while the Signal twins drift around him? You guys all say the same thing.

Originally posted by Weapon X
                    I have something to add to that. I'm sure to all the people in the industry who would argue: "Without this kind of exposure drifting won't grow. In my opinion drifting doesnt need anything excess to grow, it doesnt need the show cars or the bling factor. It is a MOTORSPORT. Drifting got big on its own, not with the help of Playboy Playmates, Bucky Lasek, Ryan Dunn, and HIN strobe lights and booty shaking contests. When you say you're helping it grow sounds like what you mean to say is it's helping your own pockets getting bigger.
                    We're telling you what we want to see and you're saying "No you're wrong, THIS is what you want to see".

Comment

I don't want to get into the heat of the battle, but Weapon X has a point...

Comment

weapon X, if you dont mind i am including what you quoted in my e-mail to slipstream

Comment

Originally posted by Xantos
                          weapon X, if you dont mind i am including what you quoted in my e-mail to slipstream
                          Go for it.

Comment

I'm just going to sit back, cross my arms and read what you have to say...

Comment

Originally posted by ALI
                              By all means, I am a pure enthusiast and enjoy nothing more than driving (drifting) every second I can, and I've never really understood the whole show car thing, but I greatly respect the effort that people put into their cars, because even though it's not what most of us here do, they love their cars just as much as us. Formula Drift / Slipstream are bringing people together so everyone can understand what drifting is all about, because that’s what this sport needs in it’s infancy stages. What do you think the car show people are saying on their forums right now?

"Ahhh, why do we have to watch stupid drifting, we should only have show cars at HIN"
                              OR
                              "Wow, how cool is that?!?!? We get to watch drifting, AND see a big car show in one event! I’m there!!!"
                              Let's try and clear some things up.A good businessman takes past situations and input from long time professionals in the industry into consideration right? The Japanese drivers are saying that the American movement is "Too quick,too fast".Then yet people just want to push harder,ignoring what they said.They've been down this infancy road,and I can tell you this.In Japan,they didn't go to these lengths to earn a buck,which would supposibly develop drifting somehow.They created a strong foundation and built it up from there,not just slapping a bunch of wood around and calling it complete.Shouldn't we be doing what they've done? It worked well for them,why change a winning formula? It seems that anything regarding Japan hasn't been taken into consideration,but a completely new more trendy,young,generation Y movement has been formed.

As for the game sponsorships.In Japan,they run around with Genki stickers,promoting Kaido Battle and Shutotku Zero One.Over here,we have Need For Speed Underground.At least Genki is creating what we want,which in turn,promotes more of what we want.Not what we don't want,which is extremly unrealistic like NFSU.

Comment

do you think that the formula D is doing anything different than Sunpros.

The only differance is that Sunpros can do it with out all the extra HYPE.

Hell we come here everyday and post and at the top of every forum is something new for sale.

Same thing just a different media.

Why does Nissan Guy have a ad for space available in his sig.

Same thing

Comment

Working...
                                X