ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyota GP Long Beach, Day 02 (Pit Notes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota GP Long Beach, Day 02 (Pit Notes)

Drifting started at 3:15 PM today on the streets of downtown Long Beach. All drivers except Casper Canul and Chris Kregorian took advantage of the short 30 minute demonstration session today. Casper is busy replacing his engine and should be back tomorrow for the main event.

J-Rod provided commentary to help the race announcers and fans understand and learn what drifting is all about. Brief driver introductions were given as the cars came out onto the track for their warm up lap. As soon as the sound of the cars was heard, every single person in the stands stood up. This was simply astonishing, considering just prior to this, Paul Tracy set a new course record and yet, only a few fans stood and cheered for that.

Some of the crowd favorites were Millen and Taniguchi. These two drove very close to each other and had consistant lines. Hayashida and Pfeiffer also had the crowd in an uproar. Hayashida's S14 deafening loud and Pfeiffer's AP1 shooting 4 foot flames out the RS*R exhaust.

Gitten managed to hit a tire wall again and ripped off his rear bumper as well as the wing. A small section of the bumper dangled from the car every lap and the crowd loved it. Sunday should be even better.

Yen, in the JIC S15, was having bad mechanical problems. The team was under the car taking out the axle. This was unfortunate because the JIC car is quite a beauty. The white pearl paint is a must see in person.

Fixmer managed to hit a barrier somewhere on the course thus ridding the McKinney S13 of the rear bumper. His day was cut short to a destroyed Imput shaft for the transmission. The team will be changing it out tonight.

Hiro Sumida in the blue 86 corolla was putting on an excellent show with Taka, but he hit the barriers twice. Front bumper, sideskirt, and rear bumper were broken and laying scattered on the course.

Tarzan tagged the wall with the rear quarter of the Viper and kept his drift going through the next corners. The crowd loved this, especially combined with the large amount of smoke and the deep roar of the motor.

Thoughts of the course this weekend.
    Hiro - The track is very visually difficult. Even though they have distance markers, it's hard to judge the length before the corner approaches. The course looks very narrow at places.
    Taka - You have to stay in the middle of the track because it is very slippery in certain places.
    Alex - Tricky and fun.
    JR - Absolutly Amazing. Favorite track ever.
    Ernie - I love it. He says it reminds him of his days in Okinawa.
    Ken Gushi - I think i kept running over the broken bumpers on the track.

Brian Harte
    Pink GodziRa
    Last edited by Brian; 04-09-2005, 07:13 PM.

Originally posted by Brian
    Ken Gushi - I think i kept running over the broken bumpers on the track.
    gotta be a classic quote.lol

Comment

yes, i love ken.

his bumper has some paint missing, so i figure he wasn't joking.

Comment

i like too add being ther at 9am and thru the whole day people i asked if were here Friday and what did they see ALL talked about Drifting I even heard guys talking about it way in turn one at 12 while the stars were crashing (Karl Malone). BTW WTG Ryan for winning that race

I must say if FD does not make a deal with champcar it would be the dumest thing they could ever do. EVERYONE I MEAN EVERYONE was into it this drifitng the whole course should be FD thing and it should follow the champ car races everyone will start too follow this and people need something too do while waiting between champ and other divisions too hit the track.

G4tv will also be happy they can use the same production truck that is covering the race will save them production cost this way vs drifitng events only.

If formula D can follow champcar every race weeking it will have US fans saying D1 who? its all about Formula D which for them will be great feel sorry for D1GP but then maybe its not what they want.... I wonder if TEAM GTO will move too Formula D if this happends..

Comment

that's my bumper. . . . . . ha ha ha!!!
          yeah, like brian said, both my front bumper and
          rear bumper is into pieces. . . . .
          at least my side skirts were in one piece!!!

can't wait for tomorrow (^ ^)

hiro

Comment

Hirooooooo you and Taka were looking good out there coming through thr last turns.
            The whole crowd was standing and they really liked you guys.
            It was funny, they would cheer a lot when somebody spun.
            but, it wasnt cheering to be mean at all. it was good.
            It was really cool to see all those people REALLY into the drifting.
            i mean.
            put it this way.

the bleachers i was in, we couldnt see turn 9 coming off teh back straight.
            BUT, as soon as they heard the cars, they would start cheering. this was a few seconds before you even saw the cars.
            Awesome.

Comment

to the guys that drifted today.. you guys were awesome. good job.

Comment

How did the Gush handle the mustang? Is it going to be a threat in jersey or will it need more work?

Comment

His supercharger was on the floor after the Saturday demo. Hopefully it's ready for today.

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                  How did the Gush handle the mustang? Is it going to be a threat in jersey or will it need more work?

Comment

it's very nice to hear that the crowd went crazy for the driftiers. if formula D and champ car make a deal it will be crazy. the fans will come out for the drifting more than race.

Comment

Formula D and Champ Car HAVE a deal...FD will be at Champ Car races this year in Portland, Cleveland, Milwaukee and San Jose. Denver, Toronto, Montreal and perhaps a Mexican race or two are currently strong possibilities too.

YOU GUYS WERE AWESOME IN LONG BEACH!!!

Comment

No way, they're coming to Portland? Man I really want to see them. Maybe I could buy general admission tickets or something to watch!!

Comment

Working...
                        X