fork in the road =/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork in the road =/

Okay, im kind of at a fork.. And I want to know what you guys would do in my situation.. im 18, I have a job where it only pays 400 dollars a month, and i dont want to work there any more b/c its a 30 minute commute each way, so im actually in the process of trying to find a job closer to home, i currently own a 00 miata NB that is only mildly modded, coilovers, wheels, nardi wheel, corbeau seats, just to name the big-er mods, although i need new coilovers, ones ive got now are wayy too soft.. anyways, i owe 2k on the car and 1200 on my cc.. i bought my car for 6600, my parents paid for half, but im considering selling my car for around 7k, paying off my debts and giving some back to my parents, and buying an e30, the ones in the 80's are only going for 1k on CL right now, just start fresh all over again, and eventually but an rb20 in it, this being my inspiration, what would you do? also, is there anything i should know about e30s? i know there not big here, but i guess they are in europe.. thanks.

another reason is cause i dont feel comfortable drifting in a car that i still owe money on.. i know when it comes to sliding, you gotta pay to play, but with this miata it seems like its going to cost atleast another grand to get it to slide okay..
    Last edited by jumpman2334; 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM.

You don't make enough money to afford gas and tires....

400 dollars a week? Are you serious?

Get a better job and or focus on your education.

I was in your shoes when I was your age, which isn't that long ago. But I made a bit more ends. But I ended up broke with dozens of stupid tickets and beat up cars laying around my house and neighborhood lol.

BTW don't get a E30.... that is probably the worst common suggested chassis for drifting of all time
    Last edited by Bebop; 05-03-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

What Blaze said + Do Not go down the Credit card route of all EVIL!

Comment

no its 400 dollars a month.. and im currently looking to get a better job, and yeah i know credit cards are not good. and e30s arent good? i was reading a couple of thread on here and people who had em said they liked em.. i might as well go look for something else..

Comment

Originally posted by jumpman2334 View Post
          no its 400 dollars a month.. and im currently looking to get a better job, and yeah i know credit cards are not good. and e30s arent good? i was reading a couple of thread on here and people who had em said they liked em.. i might as well go look for something else..
          Yea I was so shocked I accidently said week.... people on welfare make more then that.

E30s are cool to start out with but they are so hard to setup for drifting and stupid OEM parts are expensive and or hard to find. So far a long term goal, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you plan on swapping.... buy a E36 with a blown motor. The E36 has a long wheelbase and the suspension has a bit more adjustability in the rear.

Comment

i pretty much was open to whatever was cheap, that way i could put money into it.. i originally wanted a 510 really bad.. but those arent cheap for a running one.. i thought about going down the 240 route, but dudes get their hood popped for just driving em, and eventually id motor swpa it.. also, with the e30 the suspension, atleast in the rear from what ive seen its a little goofey, is that not as good as a standard coilover setup would be?

Comment

oh and i came accross this.. this made me want to get one

http://www.drifting.com/forums/gener...for-drift.html

Comment

you sir, have some decisions for sure. first off, decide if you want to pay off the miata or get the e30 and do work on it.

second, swapping for the rb really isn't worth it in an e30, for about the same money you can spend on the rb swap you can keep a BMW motor in it and there are plenty of people to guide you through this process on R3vlimited.com. And that RB swap you linked, i've followed that, its ____ insane and personally isn't worth it. but its your car and money so who am i to tell you what to do really.

third, the suspension really isn't that bad, and neither are parts if you know where to look and join the car-specific forums to get discount codes.

and for some inspiration, here is a local drifter with his e30, all NA:
                http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=19174831

Comment

Thanks for that info e30! I wasnt going to do an rb swap because of that link, i actually stumbled upon that link after i thought of the idea, although it seems like he still had it earlier than i did, and yeah, he just dumped money into that car, atleast it was a very unique build though... anyways, i just wanted to go rb cause theyve proven themselves to kids around here, and ive got a few buddies who know the ins and outs of them pretty well, versus the beamer motor, which i dont know any euro guys around here, although it still wouldnt hurt to read about just to know.. rb20 isnt a perfect, but after i get better on stock power, itll be enough for me... thanks for youre help, when i graduate HS in 3 and a half weeks, im going to try and find a new job and sell the miata..

edit: oh and do guys keep that same suspension type in the rear? or do they convert to a true coilover suspension? ive also read some mixed things about ksport and the gc setups, what do you run??

also that linkage was to get more angle correct? is there a write up on how to do that? thanks..
                  Last edited by jumpman2334; 05-04-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

lol, i run all stock for now, i've spent all my money in my photography gear, but to be honest most of the guys still run the adj spring in the rear, not true coilover. one thing about the m20 motor in the e30 is the oil pan is super low so any street driving really means no coils, but there are plenty who roll with the coilovers on the street. I'd read up on r3vlimited.com and bimmerforums.com to get a lot more information on the e30 setup. however for cheap drifting setup i would go with a 5lug swap to be able to get cheaper wheels to mount may sets of tires on. you can convert to a true coilover iirc, i have been head deep in the 5lug swap and 24v swap for my car right now i havent looked too deep in that section. the springs you can get are stiff enough for drifting from what I have seen from others drifting with them.

as for motor swaps, the m50/s50 is a potent setup N/A that has boost potential and has gobs of torque pending the proper greared LSD in the rear.

Comment

ive only read the gist of doing a 5 lug swap, but ive read so many differnt things about it.. i def. need to look into it more.

Comment

Working...
                      X