No announcement yet.

Open Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok ok theres all this biffing of open diff and LSD, what do you guys think about locker diff? i have no money and was wondering is it worth welding my open diff, or just wait a year, then buy LSD?

Comment

If you are totally commited to drifting like, you need to this instant and you have a competition like tomorrow that you have to win and you have an extra diff you can replace it with if it breaks, then sure, go for a locker. I would just wait for the LSD and learn car control in the meantime though.

Comment

I've had experience with drifting a car with and without LSD. I actually learned on an open diff, then graduated to LSD. YES it's way better, but I still consider drifting with an open "drifting". Here's a video of me drifting my brothers car at HRP with an OPEN diff (keep in mind I'm already driving my own car that has an LSD). I KNOW it would look be better if it had LSD, but I made the best of what the car had to offer. By the way, I'm approching at 70+ MPH on a skinny part of HRP. Right click save as please...

http://hometown.aol.com/borodori/myh...ooffcamber.wmv

My opinion I think "good drifters" have the ability to ADAPT from condition to condition, don't complain--making excuses like I'm having a hard time to drift because I don't have this part blah blah.

I've seen open diff's drift 6 consecutive turns without losing speed, start early and hold it.
        Last edited by borodori; 10-01-2004, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by borodori
          I've seen open diff's drift 6 consecutive turns without losing speed, start early and hold it.
          No one seems to be accepting the fact that you cannot acceleratewith an open diff once you are already drifting. Hold speed is one thing, but what about a course liek Ebisu where its super fast, then super slow, then medium speed at the end... you would get to "medium speed" either very slowly or by gripping wiht the open diff. AKA it would not be as good of a drift, no matter "how hard" you claimed it would be.

I guess if you guys keep ignoring this fact then sure, open diff rocks or something.

Comment

Originally posted by _PG_
            No one seems to be accepting the fact that you cannot acceleratewith an open diff once you are already drifting. Hold speed is one thing, but what about a course liek Ebisu where its super fast, then super slow, then medium speed at the end... you would get to "medium speed" either very slowly or by gripping wiht the open diff. AKA it would not be as good of a drift, no matter "how hard" you claimed it would be.

I guess if you guys keep ignoring this fact then sure, open diff rocks or something.
            what did you think of the video of me? i guess its not real drifting.

ALL I'm saying there's nothing wrong with practicing with an open diff. YEAH I KNOW LSD WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER IN THE LONG RUN, and yeah maybe you might have to relearn driving technique if you go from open to LSD (FORTUNATLLY, I ADAPTED PRETTY FAST WHEN I GOT MY LSD, its a lot different, but I applied many of the same things I learned with an open like steering input and throttle control), but either way I'm happy as long I'm on the track and having FUN.
            Last edited by borodori; 10-01-2004, 04:33 PM.

Comment

PG has a point. LSD is WAY more versitle than open diff drifting. Even if you can drift awesome with an open diff, it's a natural upgrade to go to LSD when it comes to pure versatility I.E. drifting long sweepers, and wide angle turns that would only be possible with an LSD.

Comment

THANK YOU. Someone recognizes that there are more than just decreasing radius/tight turns!

Comment

i dunno ive seen some people drift ok w/ an open diff, but yah it is a handicap. and yes there are some things you can t do w/ an open diff, but i still consider it drifting. i think one problems overlooked with an open diff isnt as consistant as an lsd.....

i guess you can say its kinda like trying to skate a huge vert ramp w/ one of those chep @$$ walmart skateboards, you know the ones w/ the plastic wheels. sure you can "skate" it but you arent goint to be doing half the stuff you would be if you were on a "real" skate board.

Comment

Um ... im 14 and Im trying to learn everything I can about drifting before I actually try it. (Im even saving for a car).

Comment

Working...
                    X