1980 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 corvette?

Recently i came accross a 1980 corvette boddy with a good interior but the motor had been parted out...

around the same time my dad was put in jaill he gave me a 454 bigblock that he had in his shop
    im thinking abbout sticking the 454 in the vet

since the car was parted out and nolonger has its motor its pretty much worthless anyways atleast in the eyes of a collector,

Oh and btw its not a rust bucket the car was simply parted out because some idiot was desperate for money... i dont know why he didnt just sell the whole car

would the C3 make a respectable drift car?

have you ever seen a C3 vet drift?

dont wory it wont be by day to day car, god the gas would kill me
    Last edited by ; 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM.

Originally posted by Social Streaker View Post
    Recently i came accross a 1980 corvette boddy with a good interior but the motor had been parted out...

around the same time my dad was put in jaill he gave me a 454 bigblock that he had in his shop
    im thinking abbout sticking the 454 in the vet

since the car was parted out and nolonger has its motor its pretty much worthless anyways atleast in the eyes of a collector,

Oh and btw its not a rust bucket the car was simply parted out because some idiot was desperate for money... i dont know why he didnt just sell the whole car

would the C3 make a respectable drift car?

have you ever seen a C3 vet drift?

dont wory it wont be by day to day car, god the gas would kill me
    Sorry to hear about your dad.

As far as the car. I'm not sure if anyone has seen a C3 drift car yet.

Will a C3 corvette make a good drift car? There's only one way to find out.

You got the chassis...you got the motor...might as well go for it.

If the car was already parted out that just means its less stuff to take out for weight reduction.

After dropping the motor in the biggest thing you'll have to worry about is the suspension. That could get tricky. I'm not too well versed in corvettes, especially the older ones. I'm not sure if you have a leaf spring set up or otherwise.

I'd ask around on how to go about your suspension set up and build...you could ask some people here or check corvette forums.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
      Sorry to hear about your dad.

As far as the car. I'm not sure if anyone has seen a C3 drift car yet.

Will a C3 corvette make a good drift car? There's only one way to find out.

You got the chassis...you got the motor...might as well go for it.

If the car was already parted out that just means its less stuff to take out for weight reduction.

After dropping the motor in the biggest thing you'll have to worry about is the suspension. That could get tricky. I'm not too well versed in corvettes, especially the older ones. I'm not sure if you have a leaf spring set up or otherwise.

I'd ask around on how to go about your suspension set up and build...you could ask some people here or check corvette forums.
      its a transverse leaf spring setup like the vettes of today use. C3s are kinda nimble they have some big brakes compared to todays cars. Big *Censored**Censored**Censored* Delco Moran steel 4 piston calipers all around. I just hate sitting in c3s. I find the view and the feel disconnected. I wouldnt do a 454 though. Id toss in a warmed over 350

Comment

I know I've never seen a C3 drift car, but I sure want to. Make sure you post pics and update us on the build if you do it.

Comment

the 1980 model vet had the old 350 in it but unfortunantly its power and fuel eco suked big time freeking acorns

anyways i just got back from work im droping in the motor now pretty simple haha i should have it done by late tonight or tomorow some time i hope gulp

i belive it had like 240bhp?
          my 454 has 340bhp stock i think or was it 320? its over 300...
          iv orderd a supercharger and changed cam i may have also ***ACCIDENTLY*** removed som back pressure on the engine by possibly losing my catalytic converter im not shure abbout the horsepower but i do know that it will help the fuel economy and most likely ruin the planet by destroying the air ohh well.

anybody have any idea what kind of suspension i could put on the car, imeen i have no problem riping the body off and placing it on another frame god i hope not lol

Comment

http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?...42c770f7c8606f

well you can drift a vet but its got a special suspension... i dont exactly know where to get it i doubt it uses leaf springs

if anything i can allways drift it the way it is who knows
            Last edited by ; 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Social Streaker View Post
              http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?...42c770f7c8606f

well you can drift a vet but its got a special suspension... i dont exactly know where to get it i doubt it uses leaf springs

if anything i can allways drift it the way it is who knows
              Being a 28 year old car, you may have some problems with the suspension being sloppy and worn. Bushings, shocks and springs generally just dont last that long. I would suggest going through and replacing those first. You don't need to go crazy with coilovers or anything, just new OEM spec parts by themselves will likely make a huge difference. I know it did in my Z28. You're also going to want to replace the front springs just to offset the extra weight in the front end from the big-block. You'll probably notice as soon as you put the 454 in that the front end is sitting a lot lower than it used to.

As for the actual suspension setup, Vette's have had a massive following for over 50 years. I'm sure there are thousands of message boards and websites dedicated completely to Corvette mods/restos/racing. I would check one of them before doing anything drastic like carving up the frame.

Comment

suprizingly no it does not sit lower, in 1970-74 ran a 454 i dont belive they changed anything in the car betweene then and 80 besides the chrome on the bumpers, compaired to a normal vet it sits the same, i just set the motor in not to bad gota finish hooking up things

talking to the people on the vet forums they say that the turning angles might not be what you need but there are som techniques that you can use to get the back end co come out.

and yep there is alot of work to be done but atleast it will roar especialy with no converter

Ohh yes and the 454 i have is from 1971 meening it ran around 425hp as advertized by chevrolet but iv hear talk abbout it being under rated and running near 500hp
                Last edited by ; 07-24-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Well, good luck with the build. Maybe try to get some pics/vids up sometime? Very few things are cooler than seeing a muscle car sideways.

Comment

The C3 Vettes certainly had a good amount of success in road racing, so there is that working for them. John Greenwood in particular (along with *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* Smothers of the infamous Smothers Brothers comedy team) made the C3's into extreme weapons in IMSA and Le Mans competition. Most famously, the Spirit of '76 cars.

I'd think your biggest mechanical limitation would be in the old recirculating ball steering used by C3's. Vettes didn't get rack & pinion until the C4's bowed in 1984. Aside from that, there's a bevy of parts available for the brutes because of the number of actively road raced machines still out there. They've got some tricky characteristics (the rear end tends to gain some toe-in under heavy forward weight shifting, which makes the tail dance like Shakira) but overall they can be a fun car.

Comment

yeah il try to find my camera its somwhere in my room but i know i have it lol

and yeah the fun factor of the vet is like a 9999999999999 out of 10
                      my boss has a 1977 vet with a brand ner 572 CID v8 thats 750 hp stock!!!
                      all i can say is i love me som big block
                      Last edited by ; 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

there is a c4 vette that has drifted in a few of the events here in utah.
                        It didn't look too clean out there, but it also looked bone stock, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Good luck with your project though. I hope this thing kills em out there.

Comment

c4s have like the most crappy steering angle of any car. Youd have to do a 3 pt turn to make a u turn on a 6 lane highway with it

Comment

if anything itl spin the tiers in a strait line haha

and yeah most vets iv been in have not been able to make a sharp turn, though they can if you break the back tiers loose and swing it around =] wich it most certanly can do

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_SNhxYAvP0

Comment

Working...
                              X