(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D ATLANTA May 8-9th 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 110octane View Post
    A representative from Formula D will be on The Inside Drift (www.theinsidedrift.com)Live Blog radio today at 10am PST to talk about the tire situation from Atl.

If you have questions or concerns you can call in and voice them live on the show at (646) 716-4717.

Seeing as how this thread is mainly supported by Victor, I'd like to see him call in and discuss his points on the show.

I'll be listening. I hope you guys man up as this is your chance to openly discuss this topic with the powers that be at Formula D.
    I had no idea that this was going on. I'm going to d/l the show right now and listen to it. =)

Comment

• I liked the interview and i believe that alot was said that needed to be said. Hopefully they can get it right.

Comment

• Originally posted by LV240s14 View Post
        I liked the interview and i believe that alot was said that needed to be said. Hopefully they can get it right.
        Hopefully. They said a lot more than what I expected them to say. There's always more to say...because that's just how things are. ...but I am hopefull that they, and everyone else, can get it right.

Appendix C should be a good list. If there's a tire that comes too close to Formula D's established findings, then that tire shouldn't be on that list. Provided that every team isn't cheating, appendix C is the only way a team can know what tires to have ready for each event.

Comment

• Originally posted by INFO View Post
          Ryan Sage, co-founder of Formula Drift will be the guest in the 10:00 (PDT) hour as we examine "Tiregate", the circumstances that resulted in the disqualification of Patrick Mordaunt at last week's Formula drift round 2 at Road Atlanta.

DOWNLOAD THE SHOW
          http://www.blogtalkradio.com/The-Ins...embed=download
          link not working

Comment

• Originally posted by wrxwagon View Post
            link not working
            just tried the link, it works

try this link as a backup
            http://www.blogtalkradio.com/The-Ins...ith-Gary-Keith

Comment

• Like I said before, FD's rule book will continue to be challenged. Incidences such as "Tiregate" will expose all the gray areas sooner or later. At least FD is willing to acknowledge the flaws and make modifications as they see fit for the betterment of the sport. Good job FD.

I know I am opening up a can of worms for "courantcom" to exploit with regards to last year's incident. So please please please don't "courantcom."

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSkool510 View Post
                Like I said before, FD's rule book will continue to be challenged. Incidences such as "Tiregate" will expose all the gray areas sooner or later. At least FD is willing to acknowledge the flaws and make modifications as they see fit for the betterment of the sport. Good job FD.

I know I am opening up a can of worms for "courantcom" to exploit with regards to last year's incident. So please please please don't "courantcom."
                ;-) Rule books in any arena will always continue to be challenged. In all honesty, I sorta adds to the "fun" of it all".

Comment

• At least FD is willing to accomodate necessary changes and/or adjustments for the best interest of their sport.

Comment

At least FD is willing to accomodate necessary changes and/or adjustments for the best interest of their sport.
                    The sanctioning body HAS to listen to the competitors. If there were no competitors, there would be no sanctioning body. You can never make all of the people happy all of the time, but you can make most of the people happy most of the time. There is going to be some kind of balance.

You just have to look at F1 this year, to know that competitors not being happy can dramatically change the goings on . 2010 might be a very different year for F1.

Comment

• Originally posted by fast-datsun View Post
                      I caught most of the show. Ryan address most of the points and Pat will get his points back. He has asked the tire companies to help out with the inconstanst reading of tires and will have a patch in place for NJ. He is aware of all of the problems and working on them. I thought he did very good job addressing everthing and explaining what happen and why....
                      Haven't heard the show yet but your post makes me want to ask 2 questions:

1.) Even if Pat gets the points he EARNED back, how will FD remedy the fact that Pat could have EARNED even more points? I wasn't there but sounds like he was on a run for the top when he was DQ'd. I think Victor would agree here...but ideally, with other tires failing to meet this rule at LB and again at ATL, they should have let him finish the event and review the rule afterwards. Unfortunately, they pulled him before he lost, so now...how do they decide how many points to award him? (though I definatly agree his entry fees and travel expenses should be covered by FD at the very least...to spend that much money, time and effort only to be DQ'd by such a poorly designed rule, have questions of "cheating" and such go around when nothing of the like took place...I can only imagine what a lawyer could do with this)

2.) Once again, I did not listen to the show yet but I don't understand why FD would be asking tire manufacturers to "help out" when it's FD's rule, developed by FD's testing procedures. How can tire manufacturers help out when their unmodified tires that are approved by FD, cannot meet the requirements of a recently added rule that is proving to be impossible to enforce?

Comment

At least FD is willing to accomodate necessary changes and/or adjustments for the best interest of their sport.
                        They are going to have to. I, along with mostly everyone, will agree that "drifting" with any kind of "real rulebook" is still under development. Because of how long "racing" and "rulebooks" have been around, I may not agree with how much time it has taken to get it mostly right, but I also believe that everyone needs to understand what this development process means and what role each entity must play within it.

The sanctioning body needs to acknowledge that everything they do can and will be put under a magnifying glass. In my opinion, the more "closed door meetings" Formula D has, the more skepticism the general public will have about their sanctioning body. Future competitors will come from the general public whether they see it that way or not. The actions of a sanctioning body will need to be more well thought out because of what role they need to play.

I can say more about what everyone's roles are...but it'll end up being a very, yet again, long post. =)

Comment

• Originally posted by APACHE-R View Post
                          Haven't heard the show yet but your post makes me want to ask 2 questions:

1.) Even if Pat gets the points he EARNED back, how will FD remedy the fact that Pat could have EARNED even more points? I wasn't there but sounds like he was on a run for the top when he was DQ'd. I think Victor would agree here...but ideally, with other tires failing to meet this rule at LB and again at ATL, they should have let him finish the event and review the rule afterwards. Unfortunately, they pulled him before he lost, so now...how do they decide how many points to award him? (though I definatly agree his entry fees and travel expenses should be covered by FD at the very least...to spend that much money, time and effort only to be DQ'd by such a poorly designed rule, have questions of "cheating" and such go around when nothing of the like took place...I can only imagine what a lawyer could do with this)
                          Yes, I do agree. Pat could have advanced further past top 8. He could have had some prize money as well. We will now never know since that exact circumstance is not repeatable.

Asking the sanctioning body to pay for "travel expenses" may already be somewhat unreasonable to outright ask for. If they offered it...then that's different, but even that can just lead to several unforeseen expenses. I do feel that they owe him an entry into the next round. With the price of an entry, Pat can use the money for other things that entail to travel expenses -- such as a hotel stay, or a rental car, or race gas, etc.

A lawyer won't be able to do much. Let me reference the Formula D rulebook:

1.3 ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RULES
                          Every person, entity, group of persons, regional affiliate, or organizer who seeks approvals for, and is granted the right to participate or conduct a FORMULA DRIFT EVENT, and any person who receives a FORMULA DRIFT license, warrants that:
                          • He/She is acquainted with the series rules.
                          • He/She agrees without reservation to abide by the series rules.
                          • He/She renounces the right to have legal recourse, except with the written consent of FORMULA DRIFT, to any arbitrator, or tribunal, not provided for in the rules.

The costs to pay a lawyer that can figure out a way around all this and do all kinds of monetary damage should drastically outweigh whatever kind of settlement you think you can get. The juice won't be worth the squeeze.

Originally posted by APACHE-R View Post
                          2.) Once again, I did not listen to the show yet but I don't understand why FD would be asking tire manufacturers to "help out" when it's FD's rule, developed by FD's testing procedures. How can tire manufacturers help out when their unmodified tires that are approved by FD, cannot meet the requirements of a recently added rule that is proving to be impossible to enforce?
                          Yeah...what's to stop the manufacturer from helping out with a special batch of tires to conform to FD's testing, right? Even though the tire manufacturers may just see "drifting" as "whatever..." in comparison to their other motorsport investments, and they won't spend that much time making such a batch of special tires, they still could do it.

Formula D should actually go and buy the tires as if they were a regular retail customer, and test whatever they buy -- like Consumer Reports. They shouldn't have to ask the tire manufacturer, or featured racer where to buy it. They should just be able to go to a tire store that sells whatever brand they are looking for and buy it outright. With that practice, they can also see if whatever tire is actually readily available to the general public, as their rulebook mandates.

Comment

• Yes we all agree that some rules need to be looked at, but until something like this happens than there really isnt anything anyone can do til a incident occurs or speak up before hand.

As in terms of the tire rule. Every sanctioning body has rules. In some sports yes they do actually test when the tire is hot and it cannot fall below a number. There are also some that allow a cooling period before the tire is tested usually at least 15min after a race. Some check all tires before a race and get a seal. Some races only the manufacturer of the tires are allowed to bring the tires and they supply them to the racers before the event. Usually at random so that no one can have a biased tire.

Okay we all know Pat is a good kid, but there are tons of people out there that will still cheat. I am in no way saying Pat was cheating. But you cant just say oh he is a stand up guy and he wouldnt cheat you have to somehow take that out of the equation so that it can be without a doubt a fair rule.

People get caught all the time in racing and sometimes its people you would never consider are cheating. As they say in most racing everyone is cheating they just haven't got caught yet.

On another note... Are the judges still talking to each other after a run? In every form of a judged event the judges never talk to each other during the judging process. They need to make decisions on their own without any bias from outside sources. Hell why do you think they have so many damn judges in somethin like figure skating usually throwing out the top two and bottom two scores. You dont see japan leaning over to Russia and that guy leaning over to europe saying hey how are you going to judge them. Just something I have been saying for a while. Scores and the one more time needs to be judged before the judges can talk to anyone.

Comment

• In terms of purchasing tires something I just read from courantcom when we were involved in shootouts with car and driver. Every team that was competing had to purchase the tires from Tire Rack. Each tire was than branded so that tires that were purchased were tires they had to use at the event. Now I am not saying that this should happen just this particular rule can go in many different ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtype16 View Post
                                s with car and driver. Every team that was competing had to purchase the tires from Tire Rack. Each tire was than branded so that tires that were purchased were tires they had to use at the event.
                                Victor - courantcom - already mentioned this. In World Challenge we had to purchase the tires - Toyo RA1's from one vendor to use them in a race. The actual tires that you were going to use to qualify, and then race on were marked by the officials prior to qualifying. Now obviously for something like drifting, where you could go though several sets of tires, it might not be a realistic thing to do or expect.

Victor mentioned that doing something like this could take something like 3 hours for drifting, so it might be a little too much man power.

I think I know where Formula Drift was trying to go with the rule, but it seems they just failed in the execution of it. It seems they were trying to keep special "cheater" tires from coming into the mix. Obviously most peoples tires are supplied directly off the tire manufacturers trucks , and if a "special" compound tire was supplied to one or more competitors, it would be difficult to police.

Who durometer tests tires hot ? Specific series, and rulebook link if possible ? I posted the link about some sprint cars waiting "at least 15 minutes" for the tires to cool.

The tires on Pats car were year old Toyo R1R, 140 treadwear street tires, on the list of approved tires. Anyone in racing knows that the older the tire is, the harder it gets. It does not improve with age. If anything is wrong with them, I would put it more on the tire manufacturer than on the individual competitor. Should Toyo have been warned for supplying too soft a tire ?

Comment

Working...
                                X