No announcement yet.

(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D ATLANTA May 8-9th 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a good point. I had the idea that the judges should be split up and placed into different towers at different vantage points and then judge individually. Not saying that the judges influence anothers score, but i think different vantage points will give an overall better oversight as far as scoring.

Is there a suggestion box or any other way to bring up suggestions to Formula D?

Originally posted by rtype16 View Post
    On another note... Are the judges still talking to each other after a run? In every form of a judged event the judges never talk to each other during the judging process. They need to make decisions on their own without any bias from outside sources. Hell why do you think they have so many damn judges in somethin like figure skating usually throwing out the top two and bottom two scores. You dont see japan leaning over to Russia and that guy leaning over to europe saying hey how are you going to judge them. Just something I have been saying for a while. Scores and the one more time needs to be judged before the judges can talk to anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by vvtisupra View Post
      Is there a suggestion box or any other way to bring up suggestions to Formula D?

yeah, drifting.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
        yeah, drifting.com
        Formula D has an "ASK ME THREAD"

Comment

• Just got done hearing the show. Great job Ryan.

Although I still want to know about my judges thing haha.
          Last edited by rtype16; 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tyndago View Post
            Victor mentioned that doing something like this could take something like 3 hours for drifting, so it might be a little too much man power.
            If each team had 12 tires each, and testing can be done in 10 seconds per tire, including "seal". That's 120 seconds per team - Two minutes. Let's just calculate in 5 minutes per team. That should include travel time from truck to truck, and to answer some basic GED questions while each staffer is at each team's paddock - like "what kind of ink is in that seal". 40 teams? 200 minutes - 3 hours, 20 minutes.

Originally posted by tyndago View Post
            I think I know where Formula Drift was trying to go with the rule, but it seems they just failed in the execution of it. It seems they were trying to keep special "cheater" tires from coming into the mix. Obviously most peoples tires are supplied directly off the tire manufacturers trucks , and if a "special" compound tire was supplied to one or more competitors, it would be difficult to police.

Who durometer tests tires hot ? Specific series, and rulebook link if possible ? I posted the link about some sprint cars waiting "at least 15 minutes" for the tires to cool.

The tires on Pats car were year old Toyo R1R, 140 treadwear street tires, on the list of approved tires. Anyone in racing knows that the older the tire is, the harder it gets. It does not improve with age. If anything is wrong with them, I would put it more on the tire manufacturer than on the individual competitor. Should Toyo have been warned for supplying too soft a tire ?
            Dang...Toyo's, like a good wine, must get better with age. I'm going to buy a set of R1-R's now, and let them sit on my disorganized garage floor. Maybe 2 years from now, they will be "softer" than R888! Hahaha....someone in this thread mentioned that a "softer tire" doesn't necessarily mean a "grippier" tire. I think that's true. Specially made rock crawling tires are super duper soft so that the rubber in the tires can squish between cracks in rocks and in whatever they are trying to cross over. I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that those tires can not yield the same "grip" as an R1-R. What's everyone think about that? Do softer tires always mean grippier tires?

Comment

• Originally posted by rtype16 View Post
              Just got done hearing the show. Great job Ryan.

Although I still want to know about my judges thing haha.
              Here...I'll start talking about it. 3 judges, one does angle, and the other two does speed and line, right? There's more to it...but someone else can start talking.

Comment

• 3 judges with 3 different vantage points is like the "DriftBox." Absolutely senseless.

The judges need to judge the same thing from the same vantage point. That's like having a beauty contest in which one judge rates the face, the other the boobs, and the other the rear-end (*Censored**Censored**Censored*). It just wouldn't work. Beauty lies within the eyes of the beholder, doesn't it? Wouldn't you want to base your decision upon seeing the whole package?
                Last edited by OldSkool510; 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• I would defiantely say they all judge fromt he same vantage point. Just they need to mark their judgement and score before talking to anyone.

Comment

• Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you guys

speed angle line

and all judges can judge style....

fair and square..... and why should we worry when we have a top 32 tandem now.

Comment

• There's 3 judges
                      Each judge is focusing on their category or criteria.
                      Here's the judges and their criteria plus the point allotment per category:

Ernie Fixmer- Line Judge- 25 Points
                      Andy Yen- Speed- 20 points *edit*(I put 25 earlier my bad)
                      Tony Angelo- Angle- 25 points
                      Overall Excitment/Impact- Each of the 3 judges has a possible 10 points for this category.
                      With a total of perfect score in Overall Excitement/Impact equaling 30.

The perfect score is 100 points

Does that bring some clarity to the situation?

Also, in the speed category Andy Yen utilizes 2 speed guns, locations varying depending upon track layout. Atlanta for example one was as they initiate into the first turn and the second speed gun was as they exit the horseshoe at the top of the course, that way they can show their aggressiveness as they enter and then variation in speed as they exit the horseshoe.

Last edited by J-Rod; 05-19-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                        Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you guys

speed angle line

and all judges can judge style....

fair and square..... and why should we worry when we have a top 32 tandem now.
                        I LOVE THE TOP 32 Head to Head format btw, it makes it soooo exciting and gives YOU the fans what you want!
                        More action and more clear cut winners...
                        LB was great
                        ATL was THE BEST
                        and now NJ will be awesome with the GREAT East Coast crowd and back to "Thunderdome" aka "Hell Track" aka "circus track" aka Wall Speedway...

See ya'll there!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Rod View Post
                          There's 3 judges
                          Each judge is focusing on their category or criteria.
                          Here's the judges and their criteria plus the point allotment per category:

Ernie Fixmer- Line Judge- 25 Points
                          Andy Yen- Speed- 25 points
                          Tony Angelo- Angle- 25 points
                          Overall Excitment/Impact- Each of the 3 judges has a possible 10 points for this category.
                          With a total of perfect score in Overall Excitement/Impact equaling 30.

The perfect score is 100 points

Does that bring some clarity to the situation?

Also, in the speed category Andy Yen utilizes 2 speed guns, locations varying depending upon track layout. Atlanta for example one was as they initiate into the first turn and the second speed gun was as they exit the horseshoe at the top of the course, that way they can show their aggressiveness as they enter and then variation in speed as they exit the horseshoe.

25 line + 25 Speed + 25 Angle + Excitement/Impact 30 = 105 points???

How does a perfect score equal 100 points?

Comment

• Oh sh*t.......here comes "Scoregate." hahaha------ "Courantcom" is looking for old score sheets as we speak. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by stedriftward View Post
                              25 line + 25 Speed + 25 Angle + Excitement/Impact 30 = 105 points???

How does a perfect score equal 100 points?
                              Good catch! I meant Speed is 20 points!!! Sorry type-o haha,
                              No "scoregate" come on haha

Comment

• "Formula D provides a great outlet for up and coming drift drivers. WIthout this great organization, we would not have the high level of drifting in the USA and we also would never see it on television. If you like drifting, you should support Formula D. "

-BH

Comment

Working...
                                X