fc guys help, got a weird smell coming from my cabin with the a/c on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fc guys help, got a weird smell coming from my cabin with the a/c on

When i start the my fc, not moving or anything, and turn on the a/c, i get a smell that smells like gas but less strong. I dont really have the know how to know where it's coming from or if its because i havent used the a/c in awhile or w/e. Do any of you know what it might be?

Turbo or non turbo

Comment

non turbo

Comment

is your a/c venting air from outside?

Comment

Want to do a sniff test? I know this sounds weird,but does the same smell you smell coming through the A/C come through the exhaust on startup? I'm thinking what you might be smelling is coolant,but coolant doesn't smell like gas,it's more sweeter(sounds weird) smelling than gas.

Comment

you might want to check your dash pot, on a S4 FC the tend to wear out and end up leaking gas which will lead to an engine fire. you can get them at www.mazdatrix.com are you sure it only smells with the A/C on?
            the DP is under the throttle cable.
            Attached Files

Comment

yeah only with a/c on, thx for the pic i'll check it out.

Comment

try this

Without AC
                Turn the air max and switch between fresh air and recirculated air.
                Do you smell gas both ways still?
                Gas usualy evaporates quickly so if you smell gas all the time I don't think it stuck anywhere..
                Yea you might have a gas leak so check the engine bay while the car is on and make sure you have a FIRE EXTUNGUISHER on had just incase you have to put a gas fire out..
                Be careful and make sure there is no gas odor arond you when you start the car and do this in a well ventilated area..
                If U can't locate the leak ask a professional..
                Last edited by JunpoweR; 03-30-2004, 05:49 AM.

Comment

and if you need light to see

DONT USE A MATCH

Comment

Originally posted by driftxtreem
                    and if you need light to see

DONT USE A MATCH

HAHA Yea Don't use a match..

I wonder how many people here know the explosiveness of GAS FUMES..
                    I DO!!

Comment

As for checking the fuel lines.If you have access to a lift,this would be a lot more easier to check.Your FC is fuel injected,so if you were to turn the key(not crank the engine),if there were to be a leak,you'd see it squirt out of the fuel line.Then you can pin-point which line it is.Your fuel lines are probably on the drivers side,there should be some clips holding them toghether,it's obvious where they run to.When's there's a fuel line leak,it usually really reeks of fuel,not a little wiff like what you might've smelt .If you were to walk out of your car,stick your head under,you'd smell it.So I don't think it's that.

Comment

Working...
                      X