C18 vs SR20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C18 vs SR20

Which is better overall?Which is better for drifting?

The CA18DET is reffered to as the mini RB.Some of the internals are shared and it's pretty rock solided.It's downfall is aftermarket support compared to the SR.It's a shame to see such potentional recieve the blind eye in favor of the SR.Don't in anyway assume the CA is weak though,here's some proof.

516hp
    437hp

Comment

do u know where i could find aftermarket parts for the C18 cause i would rather get that instead of the SR.

Comment

i'd really like to know how come you've already ruled out a KA24DE?

Comment

The KA engine is bulletproof and can hold 450 on the stock bottem end. This also presents the question of what year/car do you have. if you have an S14 type 240, then get teh greddy turbo kit. more power than the stock SR and cheaper. if you have an S13 type 240, then decide between the CA or the SR. True the CA has less aftermarket support, but as said above, it is a promising engine. The SR on the other hand has lot of parts. The downside is the fact that it is illegal. I am not sure about the CA18DET, but I think you could have gotten an S12 in America so the swap should be legal (check on that before you act) Also if you are young, look for which is cheaper or more reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by 98BlueStang'
            The KA engine is bulletproof and can hold 450 on the stock bottem end. This also presents the question of what year/car do you have. if you have an S14 type 240, then get teh greddy turbo kit. more power than the stock SR and cheaper. if you have an S13 type 240, then decide between the CA or the SR. True the CA has less aftermarket support, but as said above, it is a promising engine. The SR on the other hand has lot of parts. The downside is the fact that it is illegal. I am not sure about the CA18DET, but I think you could have gotten an S12 in America so the swap should be legal (check on that before you act) Also if you are young, look for which is cheaper or more reliable.
            We have a CA engine in the S12.. but not that engine. so the swap isnt legal, wouldnt be legal anyways because the s12 is older then the s13.

yes also consider the KA. but the CA is a good engine.. and you can get them for cheap. get ahold of a better turbo and you have your self a nice little engine.. look for a S14 or S15 turbo.. im not sure whats all needed to get them put together but i hear its pretty straight forward.

What the CA will give you is a high revving turbo engine out of the box.. Probably will only be about as strong as a good fresh NA KA running some basic mods. but it will be a good starting point... exhaust and a turbo upgrade (nothing huge) and you can make the low 200hp pretty easy.. At least thats what i am assuming.

Honestly for the cost its a great engine..

Comment

the SR is illegal?how so? and why? a couple of my buddies have the swap done.and also ive found someone that can get me parts for the C18 for cheap.i have an S13 so i dont really want to keep the KA in.

Comment

Originally posted by new_to_drift
                the SR is illegal?how so? and why? a couple of my buddies have the swap done.and also ive found someone that can get me parts for the C18 for cheap.i have an S13 so i dont really want to keep the KA in.
                The SR is illegal due to every single law california (and many other states) have regarding engine swaps.

Comment

I thought that it was smog? So it means that you are not allow to engine swap an SR but you can engine swap a b16a.

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo_r34
                    I thought that it was smog? So it means that you are not allow to engine swap an SR but you can engine swap a b16a.

sr20det was never sold in america, the B16 was. See the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                      sr20det was never sold in america, the B16 was. See the difference?
                      well, Sr20DE's are found in G20's

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper
                        well, Sr20DE's are found in G20's
                        I know, and if you can convence the CA smog station that a sr20 is a modified sentra or g20 engine with a factory turbo kit, then i will be your best friend in the world.

Comment

Overall the sr20 is better it can hold more boost than the ca18 and has a whole lot more parts for it. on the other hand the ca18 is pretty cheap and if your not looking for a whole lot of power, maybe around 250 its a great engine.

Comment

It's my understanding that you can take a car with a JDM engine swap to a smog referee shop and they can smog-certify your car with that engine. You just need it refereed. Oh, and it's CA18... C18 is a 18th-century enthusiasts' club.

Why not the KA, though? Only because you have one in your car, you don't like it? The KA24DE is a good engine, it just needs better cams so it'll feel much more willing to rev. A $3000 turbo kit would put it right around 250whp.

I always tout the KA, don't I?

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                              It's my understanding that you can take a car with a JDM engine swap to a smog referee shop and they can smog-certify your car with that engine. You just need it refereed. Oh, and it's CA18... C18 is a 18th-century enthusiasts' club.

Why not the KA, though? Only because you have one in your car, you don't like it? The KA24DE is a good engine, it just needs better cams so it'll feel much more willing to rev. A $3000 turbo kit would put it right around 250whp.

I always tout the KA, don't I?
                              Perhaps, but the ONLY problem with touting the KA is so far every thread like this has been flooded with guys talking about how great the KA is. And ignoring other options, and though it deffenately should be considered it gets old.

I dont know, i wish it was that easy.. If someone has smogged a JDM motor swap i want to know. So far all i hear though is hearsay. Which leads me to beleive guys are cheating alot.

Comment

Working...
                              X