(UPDATES) D1GP USA; Sep 21, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (UPDATES) D1GP USA; Sep 21, 2009

So today I've got a bit of news. I will continue to update as things come u, but for now l, here's what I got.

I'm at Nissin Int'l today in Torrance where I'm coordinating the return of all the remaining D1 cars and their parts. The cars going back are Nomuken's, Daigo's, and Ueno's (which Ueno's team managed to stay late and fix after New Jersey, talk about being a professional team, they could have left it for me to push rather drive).

In addition, The grey S15 Yoshioka drove all season will remain with Driftspeed USA as it is their car.

Finally I can confirm that I've been told D1 will be coming back next year, not to mention the website states to stay tuned for their 2010 schedule now. But I'll cool it on being the hypebeast until I get confirmation on the details.
    Last edited by ALI's DRIFT GARAGE; 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM.

Are Rich / Terrance still a part of D1GP USA?

Comment

What happend to Uenos car?

Crashed or broke?

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
        What happend to Uenos car?

Crashed or broke?

Driveshaft broke after the offroad bit in my video at 4:04
        <object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6471883&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6471883&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/6471883">D1 Grand Prix New Jersey</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/nathanielchen">Nathaniel Chen</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Comment

Originally posted by ALI's DRIFT GARAGE View Post
          Finally I can confirm 100% that D1 will be coming back next year. But I'll cool it on being the hypebeast until I get confirmation on the details.
          Just make sure they iron out all the wrinkles before making the 2010 comeback. I am certain D1 lost a lot of fans/supporters/sponsors with this years debacle.

D1 should just come back and put on "their" show without trying to compete and out-do Formula Drift, because FD is running the show in the States. All the hype and drama D1 put us through this past year only secured FD's chokehold on drifting in the States.

Just keep in mind, when most of us think D1 events, we think of J-drivers being the majority, not the minority. 6 J-drivers in a field of 32 just doesn't seem like D1 to me.

Thanks Ali for all your efforts...Drifting is drifting......
          Last edited by OldSkool510; 09-21-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

some answers

OldSkool510:

No worries, we'll see what next season brings for D1. More info is coming in October. Thanks for the...thanks. Heh.

Blaze1:

N. Chen is 100% right about how Ueno got knocked out. But the whole story in my opinion is really cool. Basically when they pulled off Ueno's car from the truck when it got into Jersey, the Vertex team got cracking on swapping out the steering rack since they lost their power steering in Chicago. These guys worked nonstop through Thursday and Friday trying to get that car fixed with limited tools. And after all of their efforts, the power steering still didn't work due to some other unforseen issue (they replaced the rack with a brand new one, maybe it was the pump?). Ueno in a total show of respect and humility even goes as far as to ask permission from D1 USA to see if they'd let him do a lap for the fans...funny thing being I was asked to find out if Ueno would be willing to do a parade lap. So both sides got what they wanted.

Anyways, I think Ueno really wanted a chance to compete so despite his lack of power steering and the fact that in practice it was killing his arms, he still managed to lay down the crazy gangster runs he pulled off. And unfortunately as N. Chen stated, he broke his driveshaft and was 86'd from any chance of moving on. That I think was pretty epic and a testament to the hard work of his teammates who really put in a lot of time to make things pop.

yoitz:

Ask them yourself.
            Last edited by ALI's DRIFT GARAGE; 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool510 View Post

Just keep in mind, when most of us think D1 events, we think of J-drivers being the majority, not the minority. 6 J-drivers in a field of 32 just doesn't seem like D1 to me.
              I think the key to this is more then quantity or so called "quality"

Who ever is next needs to realise, you don't need the big names in japan keep the fans coming and or entertained.

There are tons of good J drivers on the lower end of the totem pole who are itching to compete in america. And even though they are not the "best" in japan, they are light years ahead of 75% of the USA drivers who competed in the D1 series this year. It will free of space in the japan, and fill the void in america.

Even though I say this, I don't feel this will 100% fix the series, but I will get to that in a future thread.

Comment

[QUOTE]

That's interesting, because they've been hyping up their "next" season as well.... hmmm.... 3 competing series?! can't wait for all the sponsors to jump on board that!

PS - will the TV show that was promised at the beginning of the year ever air? If you want sponsors and drivers to take the 2010 D1 season seriously, then D1 needs to make good on what they promised for the 2009 season. You know, the "BIGGEST TV DEAL IN DRIFTING HISTORY" according to the press release!!!!!!!!

in case you forgot, it's right here - http://www.drifting.com/forums/gener...-drifting.html

Comment

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post
                  That's interesting, because they've been hyping up their "next" season as well.... hmmm.... 3 competing series?! can't wait for all the sponsors to jump on board that!

PS - will the TV show that was promised at the beginning of the year ever air? If you want sponsors and drivers yada yada yada...[/url]
                  I really don't care too much right now in regards to anything that doesn't directly have to do with D1GP Japan. As far as everyone else who has had a part in it in the past is concerned, best of luck to them all.

In addition, no one said the TV deal is done, only if you know anything of Japanese business practices, things sometimes take twice as long than they would with an American company. And I'll give the concerned members on here a little additional bit of info (though I think I've already stated it) D1GP USA never had the rights to the video content and video production rights per their contract with D1 (the re-examination of the contract came up after the fact).

Why I was told to release that press release only to have it's outcome delayed by Japan is beyond me when it was clear nothing could have progressed without D1 Japan's say so. But I released it, everyone waited and as a result we have people like you hounding the boards demanding satisfaction.

Well all I can say is that D1 is working on this TV deal and despite what the final outcome will be, whether it's the biggest in drift history or enough to make D1 fans happy, has yet to be seen.

But, per D1 Japan's request, I will continue to answer questions, chime in and keep updates coming as they are made available.
                  Last edited by ALI's DRIFT GARAGE; 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Ali -

I think you realize that D1 had a lot of big claims, and people on here were quick to suggest that maybe they shouldn't promise so much. We've all seen the mysterious press releases of the past from companies like Driftcar America, World Drifting Championships / Hard Drive Live, and even NOPI Drift that promised the world, yet very few actually came to fruition. I hope D1 can do well in the US, but if they want to succeed in the future, they need to take a bite of humble pie and keep the hype smoke machines to a minimum. None of this "biggest ****CLAIM***** ever" or "most amazing ****CLAIM***** ever". I'm sure you know this. Since you are still in contact with D1GP Japan, please inform them that suggestions like this are just trying to help them so that they get taken seriously here in the US.

I'd like to see the TV show happen. I'd like for it to be mostly drifting-focused (unlike a certain "tunervision" show of the past). I'd like to see the rising talent that deserves facetime in front of the American audience (like Forrest Wang, Will Parsons, Chelsea Denofa, etc). I hope that D1 doesn't focus too much on the Japanese drivers who kicked everybody's butts, especially the ones who had poor sportsmanship. That has no place in professional drifting in the US. However, only time will tell when (and if) this TV show will actually happen. The original press release said Fall. As of Today, it's officially fall Hopefully, more information will be released soon about the show. Since Rich Goodwyn was the main writer of the press releases we all have seen, and he's no longer with the company, I'm curious to see where these updates will come (aside from on this board).
                    Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 09-22-2009, 12:18 PM.

Comment

We agree on something.

Comment

The fact that the press release claimed it was the largest television deal in drifting when it wasn't even close kind of spoke to the rest of the validity in the contract to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X