Oil-Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil-Cooler

I've been seeing external oil coolers on many cars lately and i was wondering when you get one do you have to buy a kit made especially for your car or do you just buy any oil cooler and custom install it to your vehicule ? oh... and some info on where to find one would be great...

Thanks Jessie

It depends really some companies make vehicle specific oil coolers and some make universal oil coolers the universal type use a sandwich adapter that screws onto your oil filter location and then your oil filter screws on top of that then you run the lines from the plate to your oil feed and return spots i'll look for some sites with both types of oil coolers and then post them also try doing a google search for universal oil coolers -matt-

Comment

thank you for that info... and if you could post the typ0es like you mentionned i would appreeciate

jessie

Comment

I just used a B&M oil cooler kit and filter relocator on my Corolla. Had it all installed in about an hour.

Comment

so you just got the b&m kit and remote filter? you didnt need anytihng else?

Comment

You can get everything you need from such retailers as Baker Precision.

http://www.bakerprecision.com/

I used a Setrab 25-row cooler with Aeroquip push-on fittings and hoses (cheaper and lighter than steel braided) with Earl's relocation and filter blocks. You can roll your own similarly, or buy a kit like B&M. If you ever see GReddy's kit (which is pretty nice) it's made out of pretty much all Earl's parts.

It's nice if you can find a thermostatic bypass for it so as not to overcool your oil like I do on a daily basis.

Beefy.

Oh, and if you can find a FC RX-7 at the junkyard, it has a massive stock oil cooler. Good idea if you're on a budget. Since you have a Fiero, you might have to get clever in finding an appropriate mounting location.
            Last edited by Slonie; 03-30-2005, 08:27 PM. Reason: Adding a pic

Comment

The best locations are under the port deck vent (for smaller coolers) or between the engine and firewall. However, oil temperature isn't much of a problem for a Fiero, unless you drop in a large-displacement engine. While normally sufficient to keep the engine temperature around 25-35% of optimum, the car's notoriety came from low radiator coolant levels or leaks in the undersized coolant lines that went unchecked by an inattentive driver. Once the water pump cavitates from air in the system, the temperature of the engine skyrockets compared to an FF or FR, and has insufficient airflow to be air-cooled by high-speed coasting at idle. The heat of the engine would cause the decklid to ignite, followed quickly by the rest of the car.

The spaces are best used for a turbo intercooler. Some suggest placing one up front, though the length of the system restricts the airflow CFM in a narrow setup, or causes response lag in large bore systems.

In any case, you're not going to find any points on the Fiero that can give you the same kind of performance in a radiator unit that you'd find in a front-engine setup, without heavy external modifications and/or bodywork. But those places I mentioned before are your best bet if you don't have the time or interest in partially redesigning your car.

Comment

Originally posted by Slonie
                's nice if you can find a thermostatic bypass for it so as not to overcool your oil like I do on a daily basis.
                Slonie

Where would you locate a thermostatic bypass valve? I just tried looking for one online, but am unable to find one.

Dom

Comment

I found one...
                  http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...cat=29&pid=286

Comment

you can get all that oil cooler stuff from the greatest of all red neck (like me ) sources summit racing or jegs the yhave stuff like that in there i used to get the oil coolers and sell them to the tractor shop and rip them off by charging almost what advance does alot but no tax (since i already paid it ) and they work really well just rig up some dryer hose tubing and you can lay the cooler almost flat hope it helps and rock that fiero son rock it hard they rocled in the day just watch action jackson and you will see why!

oh yeah and good ol dave coleman said something about it in a recent scc about project silvia ( the only reason i have been reading that rag lately)
                    Last edited by mudduck3006; 04-18-2005, 02:39 PM. Reason: forgot something to add

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                      so you just got the b&m kit and remote filter? you didnt need anytihng else?

Sorry, my subscription notification wasn't working for some reason. Yeah, I just used what was in the box... I'll take some pics and post them up in a bit.

Comment

For Corolla and 240sx application. Just use the FC oil cooler. Turn it upside-down and run the lines. Cheap and kind of easy to install ^_^

combine it with a Koyo radiator... you'll be suprise how low the temp can go, after that you can run a hallow thermostat! which prevent thermostat ceasing... because there's no thermostat! :-)

Comment

Man, that thing is HUGE, how does that effect your Oil PSI, wouldnt your car hold more volume.. wont the extra flow wear out your pump?
                          im just curious cuz im thinking about getting a cooler for my turbo....
                          and yeah, the only kit avaliable for my truck.... for ANYTHING.....
                          is a tire and wheel package....
                          OH, and TRD makes a Sticker that will fit my truck....
                          Oh yeah, they have a bolt on shifter as well :P

Comment

yo eugene

you run the fc's oil lines too???

haha i cant beleive you run no thermostat, they are tere for a reason lol
                            they helpm fuel economy, and emisions etc. its not a good way to solve a problem in your cooling sytem lol

see you tuesday?

Comment

Originally posted by djnarush
                              Man, that thing is HUGE, how does that effect your Oil PSI, wouldnt your car hold more volume.. wont the extra flow wear out your pump?
                              im just curious cuz im thinking about getting a cooler for my turbo....
                              and yeah, the only kit avaliable for my truck.... for ANYTHING.....
                              is a tire and wheel package....
                              OH, and TRD makes a Sticker that will fit my truck....
                              Oh yeah, they have a bolt on shifter as well :P

Actually my car is not a regular 4ag anymore. It's pretty beefed up now. In all honestly the PSI is holding up pretty well. Like I said it's not a regular 4ag anymore (hint: think n2 4ag setup). oh yeah.. now my car holds up to 6 pints of oil not the regular 4pints for a 1.6 liter engine.

FC oil coolers are huge, but with the right setup they are well worth the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X