ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L.S.D. Options (1 Way, 1.5 Way, or 2 Way?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ha ha ha yeah I've heard one too many local guys say "oh I'm gonna get a 2 way blah blah blah" and that's after I give them my opinions on it (cuz they ask) and I tell em it'll be the wall but still go out and buy it anyway. Couple weeks down the road when they assume they're touge master, I hear about em hitting the guard rail and then there are cops all over the place that they crashed at. I'm so sick of seeing pigs at the local touge places cuz of idiots that don't know any better and don't know how to drive their cars. That's just my 2 cents.

Comment

So your saying that 2 way is much more prefer to drift wit and to take to competitions? Cause I want to build a drift car and dont want to change from 1.5 to 2.

Comment

2 way is better IF you know how to use it. 2 way also means you'll be in alot of situations where you might soil yourself if you're not used to gassing through corners cuz you'll understeer like a mofo if you don't. If you've never had an LSD or haven't progressed to the point where you're giving gas through turns, don't get the 2 way. It's not to say that everyone will slam into a wall with a 2 way if you've never had previous experience with LSD's but the chance of it happening is real good.

Comment

If its going to be a drift only car I would say get a 2 way. Just dont drift in closed spaces or on skinny roads for a while.

2 way is the best for drift but Can potential be dangerous on the street. I would get a 2 way if I didnt do autocross but a 1.5 or even 1 way are the best for grip driving.

Many people drive 2 way on the street I think most people can handle it. Braking drifts would be harder with a 1.5 and feints, stuff without throttle. 2 way is just generaly better for any form of sideways motion.

Maybe we could get Alex or somebody with real life knowledge driving multiple brands and types of LSD.

Comment

Originally posted by 180fan
            2 way is better IF you know how to use it. 2 way also means you'll be in alot of situations where you might soil yourself if you're not used to gassing through corners cuz you'll understeer like a mofo if you don't. If you've never had an LSD or haven't progressed to the point where you're giving gas through turns, don't get the 2 way. It's not to say that everyone will slam into a wall with a 2 way if you've never had previous experience with LSD's but the chance of it happening is real good.
            yup, if you use the 2 way to its fullest then it'll be better in every case.

my car is just for drifting, it has a welded. 80 bucks for a welded compared to 900 bucks for a lsd? i'll take the welded.

Comment

when you weld a lsd were exactly do you weld
              does any one have a pic to show the weldings

Comment

maybe i missed something hear, but did anyone explain dynamically why you would understeer under braking with a 2-way?

Comment

It is becuase when the diff locks both wheels are moving the same speed. But in a turn the outside one needs to move faster so if it is locks the outside wheel is dragging causing a braking motion like if you were applying brakes only to the outside cuasing pull wich counteracts the steering.

That is why I thought it would understeer.

Comment

um, didnt completely understand that last one butwhat i got out of it completley contradicts the point on LSD. you said the outer wheel would be going a differnt speed, therefore causing a braking/dragging motion.
                    the point of an lsd is to transfer more power to the wheel with less traction.
                    maybe i didnt get the whole thing or something. anyone else have an idea?

also, what in the last post would lead the front wheels to lose traction in a RWD??

Comment

I dont know if this is domestic specific or what but there are also spools and lockers. Very similar to the effects a welded rearend gives you, but will last longer. Instead of having a LSD (which means some ammount of slippage), these spools or lockers are put in place and completely lock the rearend. So you get the same effects of a 2 way LSD, but much faster response (instant) and much more violent. Pretty much the same way the welded rearends work, same effects, just a little longer lasting. I don't know if these types of parts are made for the import rearends, but might be something to look for. A spool for my track car ran me $80.

Comment

i think this should be a sticky on choosing a 1.5 or 2 way.
                        i could'nt decide either, but now i'm buying 1.5.
                        one misconception though- "since i will be drfting a lot, i'm getting the 2 way" as they said above 2 way is hard to drive on the street unless you drive crazy. 1.5 is almost just as good.
                        a lot of the pros use 1.5(japanese)

Comment

Originally posted by URMachines
                          um, didnt completely understand that last one butwhat i got out of it completley contradicts the point on LSD. you said the outer wheel would be going a differnt speed, therefore causing a braking/dragging motion.
                          the point of an lsd is to transfer more power to the wheel with less traction.
                          maybe i didnt get the whole thing or something. anyone else have an idea?

also, what in the last post would lead the front wheels to lose traction in a RWD??
                          with a 2.0 way lsd, it doesn't understeer quite conventionally. when the outside wheel locks, your car wont turn as much since it wants to go straight. this doesn't affect the front wheels UNLESS you input so much steering force that your car wants to go straight and your wheels are turned at too much of an angle... this is why people usually prefer a 1.5 way for street use since under street grip driving, your wheels will only screech a little while you turn but it wont affect your cornering too much but i prefer electronic differential but its way too expensive for novices unless they get real serious. next to that, i prefer a diff made from high friction material. it causes the same locking effect as a locked diff but it allows some very small slip (at all times) so you can still weave a little on straights and do left turns on the streets without stepping on it too much

Comment

also if u drive FF try locking the rear wheels together with a solid driveshaft with no diff, when u step on it on corners you will either four wheel slide or drift, its truly great

Comment

well my frind has a hachi roku with a trd 2-way in it and we havent noticed any hard driving circumstances.
                              i have a tomei Advance technical trax lsd waiting in my room. its going in my s14 so i guess il have to see for myself

Comment

So question to you guys...

Let's say I got the 2 way because I didn't want to end up buying two different LSDs. One to learn on and one to race with in the future. Let's just say I skipped the 1.5 and got the 2.0. Do you guys recommend streeting the car and learning how to drive it on the street and in parking lots or do you guys recommend going with the 1.5.

When you say throttle into turns to keep the 2.0 locked, what does that mean? what I mean is what are the rear wheels doing? Is the outer wheel spinning faster than the inner wheel?

Matt.

Comment

Working...
                                X