ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D1: Why don't they run with the windows down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1: Why don't they run with the windows down?

After seeing the run where the inside of the car was completely full of smoke for the whole run, I noticed that they all run with the windows up. Though a few rolled them down after their run.

So, at driving events's I've been at, car windows are usually to be kept down for safety - easier to exit the vehicle.

Anyone know why the D1 drivers keep the windows up when there is so much smoke?

you've never seen smoke inside a car have you.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron
      you've never seen smoke inside a car have you.
      lord knows I have.....I mean...what?!?..no!haha

Comment

Now i'm not sure if this is the reason or not, but windows play a very important role in structural integrity and aerodynamics. If they opened their windows while drifting, it could greatly comprimise the structural integrity and rigidity of the car, as well as allow foreign objects to fly through the window and pelt them in the helmet :P

Comment

Nah windows arent going to make any difference on the pro cars since they are all stitch welded and reinforced. But keepin the smoke out will. Everyone loves the smell of burning rubber in the morning but only to a point. I had wiring short out in one of my first gens and when that cabin fills with the smelly stuff, you can't do much of nothing. I ran off the road right into Custom Sounds flower bed. Not fun.

Plus those guys are making split second decisions and usually within 5-10 feet of each other. Smoke in the car would be bad.

Comment

maybe they dont give a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* cus its too damn loud if the windows are down...

Comment

I could see the windows being up for noise and keeping debris from entering the car. I wouldn't want chunks of anything pelting me at 60mph, lol. Also, it would help aerodynamics. I don't remember how much more drag you get if you run your car with the windows down, heard it somethere but can't remember.

As far as structure, windows do little to nothing. The doors themselves don't do much as far as preventing flex...well unless they're welded shut to the rest of the body Sure they help during a crash for keeping you in and other things out, but they actually add more stress to the body at the mounting points. The rest of the car has to hold the door up.

I can't say I've had smoke in my car before, lots of dust yes, smoke no.

Comment

They keep the window up because they don't want dust to go in their eyes.

Comment

To keep flying debris from getting inside the cars and to help keep their head safely inside the car in the event of a crash. This is why NHRA cars run with the windows up and why Nascars have window nets.

Comment

you are all wrong the reason they run with the window up is because of the SCCA and their rules the window can be craked up to 1 inch
                    just incase they roll they cant throw their arms out the window and get them maimed
                    same with every other motorsport in the us they all have something to stop their hands

Comment

I don't know where you found that but every SCCA event I went too, I never had to have the window up. Besides if you roll, the window up ain't gonna do doodely squat about keeping your arms in. If i'm not mistaken the rule says that the window has to be down so in the event of a roll it doesn't shower you with glass. Also most strict "Race" cars have removed the windows anyway. Same reason.

Comment

I dunno, I just finished watching opt. video and some of the guys run with the window down, some only half way, so some do run with them down. Maybe it was just there?

Comment

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the obvious reason is to keep the cool A/C air in and the hot air out LOL

Comment

roflmao.............either way it's for safety reasons

Comment

Nomuken usually keeps his back ones cracked, maybe they just were cold or sumthing. Or the US and their track rules told em to shut it down

Comment

Working...
                              X