Drift Shfting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Shfting

I'm new to drifting, and manual drives in general. I understand some of the basic techniques and when people explain the heel-toe technique it make sense, but I cant wrap my head around the actual execution. Is there any videos or better yet an actual person who would be willing to show me how to shift while drifting? It's driving me nuts that I can't figure it out. I'm only asking for a learning purpose. I don't currently have the funds or a place to drift safely.
    Any help would be awesome.

Toe Heel is a downshifting technique for racing so that the driver can brake into the corner and simultaniously downshift so he has enough wheel horse power to exit the corner after the car has slowed down some.

In drifting, people use hard braking to unload an amount of weight from the rear wheels and they typically don't use the shifter. They probably rev up the engine faster while they have the clutch disengaged and they do a clutch kick to loosen the wheels following the heavy braking.

People might shift down a gear to utilize a shift lock, or they might setup for the exit after a slide by shifting down to prepare for the slide slows them down a bit.

To explain a shift lock...

Have you heard of engine compression braking? You use the fact that the engine has to use up the kinetic energy from the road instead of the kinetic energy from the engine igniting.

If you shift into a gear that is too tall, you "use up" too much of the energy too fast and you slow down the rear tires too much. So you essentially lock up your rear wheels and therefore, you start to slide.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. You can talk theory and techniques all day, but the best thing to do is just to go out and try it. So until you get the opportunity/money to drift on a track, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Comment

yeaup.. just get out there.. it will magically click for you.

the drifting community is one of the best i have ever been in for the most part.

everyone will help you along.

Comment

ok this is da real *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* on heel to toe shifting

others say its toe heel; its realy heel to toe shifting
          its brake gas clutch downshift it so u dont stall the engine in a drift

Comment

Drift Bible

Keiichi Tsuchiya made this video in japan but they have an american version too. Look for it on Youtube.com. But my advice is to learn it and practice as much as u can. It is easier to try it on slippery surfaces to get the hang of it when first practicing it.

Comment

yeaup as far as rev-matching goes... just do it daily when driving.. i have been for a long time... its second nature. You will perform the act naturally while drifting/racing. A big misconception is.. you have to get your foot completely sideways, not always the case. if i was to describe how it is when i do it, it would be more of Toe/Arch lol. if you have driven a 240, the pedals are very close. I can get the heel action, but i do just fine with my method. if you drive an under powered car, its a good way to stay with-in your powerband.

like the above if you have not seen the drift bible.. get it.

Hawaiian odds are you will be moving forward.... you will not stall an engine if you don't heel/toe. some courses don't even require you to use this technique. first-second-third and the occasional clutch kick will get you around most courses.
              Last edited by BigGameHit; 08-01-2008, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X