ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(VIDEO) TANNER FOUST Drifting NEW SCION, COME SEE APRIL 10-11 @ FORMULA D LONG BEACH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car looks great. Rob Miller has built some amazing cars. But can they win another championship with a Scion?

Comment

Originally posted by GBC View Post
      For the record, I'm ok with an insane builds. JR's Mustang, Sam's new Challenger, even the Hyndai that Rhys is driving.

It just does not sit well with me that Toyota, who does not offer a RWD performance car, can just buy their way in. I am sure the marketing guys see this as a way to hit a demographic, but if they really wanted to be involved with this part of youth motorsports, they should actually build a car that fits the bill.

Nissan does, Ford does, BMW does, Chrysler does, GM does, Hyundai does, etc.

Toyota DOES NOT.
      amen right on the money

Comment

I love the smell of money in the morning!

Comment

By the way it wasnt Steph who posted the video. It was Rob Miller the chassis builder and it was me (Greg-AEM) who posted the link.

Comment

So money is the ultimate loophole? lol.
            When I found out they were putting a nascar v8 in that scion, I thought to myself "how the hell would FD allow that into competition?"
            So I guess I know now....

Comment

For the record, I'm ok with an insane builds. JR's Mustang, Sam's new Challenger, even the Hyndai that Rhys is driving.

It just does not sit well with me that Toyota, who does not offer a RWD performance car, can just buy their way in. I am sure the marketing guys see this as a way to hit a demographic, but if they really wanted to be involved with this part of youth motorsports, they should actually build a car that fits the bill.

Nissan does, Ford does, BMW does, Chrysler does, GM does, Hyundai does, etc.

Toyota DOES NOT.

Lexus IS-F....don't fit the bill?

Comment

So, is the Super Autobacs skyline illegal or not?

I heard they changed the front coilover from a 2 bolt top hat, to a 3 bolt top hat.

Comment

Sometimes people are so short-sighted...

First of all "Toyota" does make a RWD performance car its just not branded as a Toyota...its called the Lexus IS-F. 418HP paddle shifted V8? Ring a bell? Anyone?

Secondly to fit our "demographic" Toyota IS working on a mid-level RWD car that they are collaborating with Subaru on. The story has been on autoblog several times and I wouldn't be surprized if someone posted it here once or twice.

The only problem is that when the economy took a dump plans for that car were put on hold then taken off hold then put on hold again...its been a up and down thing.

My point is that Toyota & Subaru made plans for this car a LONG time ago..So when Scion made their entry into drifting I'm pretty sure the logic behind it besides appealing to the Scion crowd is that they want to "plant the seed" if you will for this new car that will hopefully see the light of day soon.

Clearly Toyota sees professional drifting as something that is going to be around for a long time...personally, I think thats cool.

Also if people are going to complain about the rules then at least be consistant.

Why is it that something like this, Gushi's car, or Sam's Challenger draws scruitiny but no one complains about D-Mac's V8 Saturn or any of the V8 350Zs or any of the cars that have Hasselgren engines?

When the "big" top tier teams do something innovative its all "money money money they buy their way around the rules C.R.E.A.M.!!!"

When a smaller team does the same thing its "oh cool! thats awesome I can't wait to see it run!"

Rant over

Comment

One thing I must say about the car is FormulaD knew about the car the entire time it was built and watched the car being built. If there was a question they were called and sometimes even came out to see what we did and what we were talking about to see if it was within the rules. I can think of a few times when some parts of the car were done and FD came over and said um you have to change that and guess what we did. So no money does not buy rules. I can actually say the car was pushed back a little because certain things had to change in the car.

Comment

This thing looks kinda scary.....not a championship contender though

I'm all for FF>FR conversions until they start winning.... that's when my *Censored**Censored**Censored* will throw a fit.

Comment

Originally posted by RhythmnSmoke View Post
                        Lexus IS-F....don't fit the bill?
                        It certainly does NOT, as it is not aimed at the same demographic as drifting. If it was, there would be no need for the whole sCion deal.

How many IS-Fs do you anticipate seeing at grassroots events?

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                          Sometimes people are so short-sighted...

First of all "Toyota" does make a RWD performance car its just not branded as a Toyota...its called the Lexus IS-F. 418HP paddle shifted V8? Ring a bell? Anyone?

Secondly to fit our "demographic" Toyota IS working on a mid-level RWD car that they are collaborating with Subaru on. The story has been on autoblog several times and I wouldn't be surprized if someone posted it here once or twice.

The only problem is that when the economy took a dump plans for that car were put on hold then taken off hold then put on hold again...its been a up and down thing.

My point is that Toyota & Subaru made plans for this car a LONG time ago..So when Scion made their entry into drifting I'm pretty sure the logic behind it besides appealing to the Scion crowd is that they want to "plant the seed" if you will for this new car that will hopefully see the light of day soon.

Clearly Toyota sees professional drifting as something that is going to be around for a long time...personally, I think thats cool.

Also if people are going to complain about the rules then at least be consistant.

Why is it that something like this, Gushi's car, or Sam's Challenger draws scruitiny but no one complains about D-Mac's V8 Saturn or any of the V8 350Zs or any of the cars that have Hasselgren engines?

When the "big" top tier teams do something innovative its all "money money money they buy their way around the rules C.R.E.A.M.!!!"

When a smaller team does the same thing its "oh cool! thats awesome I can't wait to see it run!"

Rant over
                          Those engines were swapped, this one was rotated 90 degrees and given a driveshaft. And for the record, the Sky does not float my boat, but at least is slightly resembles the factory setup.

Comment

Those engines were swapped, this one was rotated 90 degrees and given a driveshaft. And for the record, the Sky does not float my boat, but at least is slightly resembles the factory setup.
                            I can see where you're coming from but at the heart of the matter be it extreme engine swap or RWD conversion...the principal of what they're doing is the same.

The only difference is that the bigger teams can afford to do things like this on a grand-er scale.

And its easy to pick on them because its impossible to answer the hypothetical equalizer question of:

"If a 'grassroots' team got offered the same opportunity would they turn it down?"

Logically I dont think they would...but theres no way to know that for sure so its easy to stick the "sell out" sticker on the bigger budget teams.

Anyway it is what it is. Its not like Nissan was going to give them a GT-R to convert to RWD. Steph had to make a move and he made it...lets see where it takes them.

How many IS-Fs do you anticipate seeing at grassroots events?
                            If MotorworldHype had the money to make the nessasary modifcations then you'd definitely see our IS-F out there.

Comment

Is that Honda Element still out there?

That thing was sick.

Totally factory.

Comment

i already miss the 350z

Comment

Working...
                                X