ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get an AWD car (WRX) to drift??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get an AWD car (WRX) to drift??

Ok, I know I am a newbie and probably most will ignore me but I need the help of the drifting gods. I have an abandon airport that I mess around at, I know you guys hate dumb arse drifters. Okay, I have already done a serch and found nothing. How in the hell do you get an AWD car(WRX) to drift?? I was messing around last night and could not get the dang thing to drift!!! I havent tried the e-brake thing and would like to learn without it. All my car would do last night was push the heck outa the front end. This is how I tried. I woul roll at about 15 to 20 mph, do a hard turn and in the middle of the turn drop the clutch. NOTHING!!! The back end would not break lose at all. Just a lot of front push and thats it. Where can I go in here or another site to find out the basics of AWD Drifting. I really want to learn. Can you guys help me???

Thank you

Tony Blake

i've never drifted a awd car, but i hear you need ALOT of speed and alot of balls. I've seen videos of wrx wagons drifting by taking out the front driveshafts, but i doubt you want to do that

Comment

yeah, 15-20 mph will not get an AWD especially one like a WRX to drift. Your gonna need a lot of speed as blood said.

Comment

you can try these tips. Buy a bigger rear sway bar, put better traction tires on the front, and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ty ones on the back. Raise the rear air pressure over the "regular limit" by two or three PSI, lower the front by two or three PSI, and get more power. If you search for the Drift event that happened a couple months ago where Rhys Millen participated, you'll get to see some AWD drifting. But for a beginner, its almost impossible. If you really want to learn how to drift, buy yourself a old 240 or Rx7 and learn with that. You'll frustrate yourself with the WRX. But if you really really want to try it, then go up to about 40mph, feint to start the turn, floor it, and keep it floored.

Comment

You have an incredible opportunity with that air field. Like, they said, lot's of speed. You could also try it in the rain to begin so you don't have to go as fast. I say work with what you have. Learn to drift the WRX.

Comment

DRIFT

LOOK MAN IS ALL ON YOU, HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU.
            1. DO YOU HAVE A GOOD DRIFTING READY SUSPENTION??????????
            2. HOW MANY HORSES???????????????????????????????????????
            3. ARE YOUR TIRES LOW PRO?
            LOOK MAN, YOU NEED POWER, A GOOD SUSPENTION BUT REMEMBER TO ME THE SUSPENTION IS PROBABLY THE BIGEST FACTOR WHEN IT COMES TO DRIFTING, MINE IS SO TIGHT THAT SOMETIMES IT GETS ANOYING JUST DRIVING ON THE STREET BECAUSE IT JUST BOUNCES TOO MUCH, BUT MY CAR IS STIFF AS HELL, ALSO TRY TO DIFFERENT THINGS AS FAR AS TIRE PREASURE ON FRONT AND BACK, AND IF YOU SEE A REAL DRIFTER LIKE A S-13 S-14 LAURELL S-15 R32 MOST OF THE TIME YOU SEE SPARKS COMING OUT THE BACK HEY ITS THE RIMS SCRAPING THE STREETS, I KNOW THE S-14 OF MINE DOES IT, THATS BECAUSE OF MY LOW PROS, AND THE HIGH *Censored**Censored**Censored* TIRE PRESURE I HAVE. GOOD LUCK DUDE.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you

I really appreciate it fellas!!! Thanks to all!!!! I am a newbie and will give your tips a try. If any of you guys live in the Dallas area shoot me a line and show me how to do it!!!! Thanks again

Comment

first off because of the lack of AWD drifters here i suggest you try I-club or another Scooby website....

but ill do my best tah help....
                first off yah dont need Low-pros tah drift..... i drift with 50-series tires. (also when tires get worn out they drift nicely,

High PSI helps, probably a must for you....
                Change the suspension, the stock Sube suspension is made tah handle...

Toe out the front suspension for a quicker turn in, and Neg the camber for better grip in the front.

try disconecting the front sway bar it should increase oversteer but im not sure how itll work on the WRX

after that mess with tire pressur yah may need it in the front if yah get the four wheel drift...

in rally they use a heavy feint motion before entering the corner. because of the understeer the AWD suffers from... by feint i mean, when turning left jerk it right first and the dive it left to get a sort of swing motion as you shift/throw the weight of the car into a slide.... a deep angle is a must to keep it sliding... but any way yah swing it your gonna need suspension and power but try those things out....

practice in the rain season every chance yah can cause the rain is an awesome trainer, but not on the street.

and wheres this Airport hook me up...haha later man...

thrill

Comment

The stock WRX suspension is fine. Stock suspension is good because it is neutral. Neutral suspension is good because your actions as a driver will determine if you understeer or oversteer, not the tuning of the suspension. Find a set of narrow crappy wheels that fit. Call these your drift wheels. You can drift on your stock set (or a nice set) later when you get good. For now you want something to learn with. Find a set of used bald tires to put on the drift wheels. Put the tire pressure high to give the tires a smaller contact patch, maybe 40psi. Right there you will have alot more fun learning how to drift. Next, you will need the power to spin all 4 wheels. You will need to be on boost when you drift. If you drop out of boost you will just bog. The car has enough power stock, you'll just need to keep the revs high. Because your car is AWD it has a tendancy to understeer in all situations as the front tires pull the car (the rear pushes, the fronts pull). You can counter this by tuning your suspension to have more oversteer, but I would just leave it neutral and keep the understeer thing in mind (so you dont crash). When you feel you're progressing, change up your tire setup. The tires you run will make a bigger difference than anything else. Have fun.

Comment

Re: DRIFT

Originally posted by s-14drifter
                    \ AND IF YOU SEE A REAL DRIFTER LIKE A S-13 S-14 LAURELL S-15 R32 MOST OF THE TIME YOU SEE SPARKS COMING OUT THE BACK HEY ITS THE RIMS SCRAPING THE STREETS, I KNOW THE S-14 OF MINE DOES IT, THATS BECAUSE OF MY LOW PROS, AND THE HIGH *Censored**Censored**Censored* TIRE PRESURE I HAVE. GOOD LUCK DUDE.
                    most of the sparks are actually from the metal bands in the tires (forget what they are called), when the tire treads get really low the metal bands show through and spark when the tires are horizontal to the pavement while spinning

Comment

Yup, the steel belt. Not because the tires have such a small sidewall the rim itself touches the ground (LOL!!!).

Comment

THATS BECAUSE OF MY LOW PROS, AND THE HIGH *Censored**Censored**Censored* TIRE PRESURE I HAVE (quote from s14 drifter)

yah and high tire pressure bubbles out the center of the tire raising the rim farther from the ground, so its definitely NOT your rim hitting the ground, its the belts. Drifters use high tire pressure in the rear to make the tire bend outwards like ( instead of | so that less of the tire is in contact with the ground, making the rear break away more progressivly, which in turn makes smoother drifts

Comment

the wrx just has to be thrown HARD. cool looking donuts too. hehe. and you have an abandoned air field...... damn. thats just ultra lucky.

Comment

like i said worn down tires throw cool sparks, and they drift the best too!

haha and the hunnies love it...

i agree Have fun with it.... dont give up!

Thrill

Comment

it's every drifters dream to have a abandoned airfield to drift on dude, we all envy you

Comment

Working...
                              X