ae86 sr5 engine questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ae86 sr5 engine questions

From reading up threads people with gts swap in the silvertop motors or black tops. I would like to convert the 4ac motor to a 4age. Although just finding a 4age 16V motor is kinda hard not like a silvertop motor that go for 900 shipped to your door. To keep the swap slightly simple and not converting to fuel injection, im planning on running side draft carburetor on a silver top wondering has anybody actually done it?
    Im just wanna keep it simple and have the nice tone of side carbs

Even though I had a AE86 I went with a 4ag but a buddy of mine had mikuni sidedraft carbs on his blacktop and even though the sound as like none other it just seemed like he was always retuning them to get his car to run right. I personally like being able to go start my car and its ready for action not mess with it till your anoyed haha but they do have a sick tone to them.

Comment

The 4AC uses a mechanical fuel pump located on the head. It's run by an extra lobe on the cam. The 16v and 20v 4AG heads don't have this provision so you'll still need to add an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator(FPR).

If you plan on running Weber side-drafts made for cars, setting them up will be fairly easy, as long as you know carbs. If you plan on running some Mikunis or Keihin carbs made for bikes, that's a totally different story.

Bike carbs are gravity fed and if you feed them too much fuel pressure, even say 3psi, you'll never get them to run right. You either need to find a very low pressure FPR or run some kind of remote gas tank that's higher in elevation than the carbs to gravity feed them as they were designed.

Search some of the old-school VW forums and auto-x forums, there's still a few guys that do bike carb conversions with great success.

Comment

Working...
      X