ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMALL BLOCK CHEVY 240SX BUILD (400 Cubic Inch/Carbed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMALL BLOCK CHEVY 240SX BUILD (400 Cubic Inch/Carbed)

Well the parts started to arrive at the office. I am doing a 400 cubic inch small block Chevy into my 91 240sx coupe. It will be called project "Riced Rat Rod" and will eventually be wide body, flat black with rat rod-esque color coded wheels on it. The idea is to get the motor together and dynoed first. It will make 550-575 HP NA and about 700-750 HP on nitrous.

It will be used for drag, drift, road race. Mckinney Motorsports is 1 mile from the office and they will be assisting with the engine mount kits on their S13 front clip they have in house. This way they can get the mounts figured out before I even have the motor in the car. Before we can do that, I still need to figure out with a temp. transmission for it. It will get a Tremec TKO-600 but that won't be available to December and hope to have the car running by Oct. The car will get the stock KA pulled, all un needed things removed, engine bay painted and motor installed. Suspension, body and wheels will follow soon.

It will be front sump with a 65 Nova pan that will need some slight modification

Once I get enough parts together, we will be doing a bunch of articles and videos of the build of the car on Hot Rod & Muscle Car Videos, News, Articles & Tech on Street Legal TV - PowerTV Network

Parts list, updated as I get it

400 cubic inch Dart SHP short block
    Mahle Forged Pistons
    Scat H beams
    Scat forged crank
    Dart Pro 1 215cc aluminum heads
    Dart single plane intake manifold
    all gaskets, studs etc.

Last edited by markshatchi86; 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM.

Got in the SPEC Clutch for the 400 inch SBC. It consists of a steel spec pressure plate, sprung 6 puck clutch, aluminum flywheel, and all bearings and bolts. Total weight of the package is 36 pounds which isn't that bad. This clutch will handle 650 foot pounds of torque, which will be perfect. Also since we have a sprung hub, the chatter won't be that bad.

All our ignition parts are in for the 400CI 240sx. Thanks to Jim Hariston at Pertronix, we now have a Flame Thrower Billet Distributor, HV Coil, Plug Wires and a second Strike Ignition Box. The Second Strike has a built in rev limiter and the option to create an adjustable second spark depending on performance.

Comment

One unique requirement of this engine is that it needs to be a front sump for the 240sx configuration. Finding a front sump oil pan that is decent is hard to find. It was only offered in the mid 60s Nova IIs and a lot of guys do a rear sump conversion. I found this moderately priced 7 qt pan online. I did some preliminary measurement last night and it looks like I will need to box about 2 inches in and about 1 inch up on the front of the pan to clear the front sway bar. After it is done there should be atleast 6- 6.5 qt capacity. The rear looks like it will be OK for fitment, but who knows until you get it in there!

Comment

There is always the miscellaneous parts that are needed that you add up and order at one time (I already have another list going). So this order consisted of header and intake manifold bolts, swivel water neck, valve cover breathers, mechanical fuel pump block off plate, oil pump, oil pump drive shaft and pickup.

One tricky issue is the oil pump selection. I could have gone with a front sump pump and pickup in which everything would have bolted up. The problem is my longer (3.75") stroke. This makes the crank hit a front sump oil pump and I did not feel comfortable grinding down the pump housing. So what I did was buy a rear sump oil pump that clears fine. This is a standard volume and pressure pump since Dart does not recommend a high volume due to their redesigned oiling system inside the block that brings oil to the mains first. What I did for the pickup is bought a front sump and selected rear sump to try to make 1 sump tube from the two. They were cheap so it will (hopefully) work out better then just making a fresh one off the bat.

Comment

Even though Im 1.5 hrs away it was going to cost about $100 to ship my kit, and you never know if it will get to you in one piece. So I headed up to DMAX's USA warehouse and got my kit. I pulled my passenger and rear seat out. Thanks to Bernard for helping me fit it all in there!

I didn't even know, but Dmax, Supermade and Origin are all manufactured at the same place.

What is in the car

Dmax Type 1 kit - F/R Bumper, 2 side skirts
          Dmax 50mm rear fenders
          Dmax 40mm front fenders
          Dmax Silvia Bumper lights

Comment

i know you're not asking for opinions but since you posted a look at me thread i'll give it anyway. that motor is a dumb idea.

Comment

it sure is!! isnt that awesome?

Comment

it's the opposite of awesome.

Comment

so super awesome?

Comment

Today we were greeted by boxes from Holley. Inside was a glorious 4150 HP, 830 CFM NASCAR Spec Carb. Additionally a billet fuel log, Billet 150 GPH electric pump, 4 post regulator and a 14" Power Shot Air Cleaner. The only major parts we have left is the valvetrain from Comp Cams that will arrive within the next week. The engine will be built at Westech and also dynoed there the end of October. Shortly after it will go in the car. Hopefully the car will be drivable before the end of November.

Comment

Cam for this v8

Hey buddy i noticed yout building a v8 drift motor. well if u dont have a cam yet i suggest u get a custom cam. There is an amazing cam maker and u can reach him at his web sit camshaftinnovations.com He really makes an amazing cam and will make it to your specs. And how come not pro systems carb? Whatever u do hope things work out for you.

Comment

Holley HPs are awesome.

Comp Cams is doing a custom grind, well actually we will be engine dynoing 4 different cams here in a few weeks
                        Last edited by markshatchi86; 10-11-2008, 07:42 PM.

Comment

haha, awesome.

Comment

I mocked up the engine tonight, Ill have pics tomorrow. Engine will be built and on the engine dyno in 2 weeks, all the major engine components are here. Just need my trans and pullies
                            Last edited by markshatchi86; 10-15-2008, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Engine is mocked up. Assembled Thursday and engine dyno Friday

Comment

Working...
                              X