s13 must do's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s13 must do's

Quick question. Stock LSD on my 240 does it need to be changed? in a drift it seems only one wheel spins?

240s never came with lsd stock, so the reason only one wheel is spinning is because you have an open diff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziptyed
      240s never came with lsd stock, so the reason only one wheel is spinning is because you have an open diff.
      To the best of my knowlege less than 1,500 240SX came with an LSD stock. I could be wrong though.

Comment

both wheels spin on a burnout.

Comment

You might have a factory VLSD. The viscous coupling uses a fluid that resists shear loads, so as the plate connected to one axle spins faster than the other, the fluid between them causes the other to spin also, thus transferring some torque to the wheel with more grip.

Not all VLSDs work as well as some others, even from the same manufacturing batch. Part of this is because they are very sensitive to manufacturing tolerances because they rely on a fluid to resist shear, so small differences in casting and such can have a large impact. Even the Renault F1 team had trouble getting consistent results with them when they were running a front torque transfer system in the late 90s.

Even the best-functioning Viscous LSD is going to underperform compared to a clutch-type like the nismo, kaaz, cusco, etc. This is particularly true for drifting. I would suggest saving the cash for a good clutch-type LSD. I have a kaaz 2-way and it was the best money I've ever spent on a car, no doubt.

Comment

OK, so i am getting a Nismo unit new, but they have 2 part numbers. One for 240s with a LSD and one without. im takin the car to the shop and lifting up the back and take a lil spin.

Comment

OK, The car will not do donuts, only one will spins. When the rear is lifted and one wheel is spun, the other spins counter. When one wheel is off the ground ( dont try this at home) and you put it in drive, one, the wheel in the air will spin. car will also do burnouts with both tires spining. what kind of diferential is this?

92 240sx automatic

Comment

i may be mistaken but all hicas equiped cars had vlsd, and all canadian 240sx's had vlsd.

Comment

guys i have a question whats an LSD? Im noob on this kinda thing.

Comment

limited slip differential

Comment

do you really need to buy one everytime you drift?

Comment

nope, i drift with my open diff.

Comment

Originally posted by ECMotorsports
                          OK, The car will not do donuts, only one will spins. When the rear is lifted and one wheel is spun, the other spins counter. When one wheel is off the ground ( dont try this at home) and you put it in drive, one, the wheel in the air will spin. car will also do burnouts with both tires spining. what kind of diferential is this?

you prolly have open diff....so get the part that says without OE LSD......

Comment

Originally posted by tuwinu_duriftu
                            do you really need to buy one everytime you drift?
                            Well, you only have to buy it once.

No, you don't absolutely need it. But drift an open-diff car and then drift a car with a quality LSD and you'll see that life is much better with an LSD. If you aren't serious about drifitng then a serious LSD may not be for you, but even if you plan to road race, the LSD will again prove beneficial.

Comment

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=68671

Comment

Working...
                              X