dry vs. wet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry vs. wet

ok as for some of us it very snowy and wet. should i be practiceing when it is?
    even though you really have no controll?
    how long was it before you tried you frirst drift on dry pavment?
    im just confused on what i would do if i tried to drift dry.. but me myself i dont considerit to be ral drifting unless it is dry.. thats my opinian=)

If you were at irwindale 3 years ago, you would change your mind. Drifting in the wet requires a whole different skill set than the dry. The surface is constantly changing, grip greatly reduced and even more, your vision is impared greatly.

At lower speeds, wet weather is a great medium to get use to how the car handels in a slide. Plus it's a lot easier on your tires. At higher speeds, it's much more unpredictable, and because of that, much more dangerous.

Saying it's not really a drift because it's in the wet is kind of like saying you're not really jumping 'cause you're going off a ramp on a snowboard rather than skis. It's just a different medium, plus a good one to gain experience in.

Comment

^^^ very well said.

i had been drifting for about 2ish years and never crashed into an object.... my first rain event here in japan after about hmmm 4-5 laps i put my r33 into a wall.. I have gained so much more control in the wet since than. its challenging and rewarding to be able to slide in the rain at WOT.

Comment

Drifting in the wet is like, the ultimate in throttle control, but you don't quite grasp the skills needed for high speed maneuvering. That, my friend, you can only learn in the dry . . .

Check out my Youtube page for the difference in dry and wet drifting. The wet CAN be fun, but mostly, it just sucks, LOL! Especially once you start putting down power and torque

-Dave

Comment

thansk guys for the info i really needed that
          eomund240...thanks youve always have answerd my questions no matter how stupid theyve been!!
          today is christmass and i got thecalvin wans drifting guide(how to drift hand book)
          im very happy merry xmass

Comment

id have to agree fully with the above. its good to learn to control your car in any condition. we have 2 feet here 3 in some spots. but i get sidewayz while trying to be safe where ever i can just so i know what to do if i do lose it. now if im going over the city bridge and spin a 360 its no big deal its happened. with rain its not bad for drifting good to learn on so you can brake traction easier but when you get to high speeds you will find walls to be a bit hungrier than ever. at highspeeds theres alot less control. be safe but give it all a try so you know how to handle. =)

Comment

Originally posted by romuna94 View Post
              thansk guys for the info i really needed that
              eomund240...thanks youve always have answerd my questions no matter how stupid theyve been!!
              today is christmass and i got thecalvin wans drifting guide(how to drift hand book)
              im very happy merry xmass
              No worries mate. All your questions are honest to goodness questions that with just a little bit of direction make sence. It's not 'Can I make my 86 hav 700hp and dirft mashine' like some, yours are legit and I don't mind answering at all.

Out of curiosity, does this mean you finally have a rwd car?

Comment

I love the wet but especially love the snow. You can go for HOURS in the snow and never get tired. I live for the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                  No worries mate. All your questions are honest to goodness questions that with just a little bit of direction make sence. It's not 'Can I make my 86 hav 700hp and dirft mashine' like some, yours are legit and I don't mind answering at all.

Out of curiosity, does this mean you finally have a rwd car?
                  no -_- i still dont ahve a job dang wrestling season lol

Comment

Originally posted by romuna94 View Post
                    ok as for some of us it very snowy and wet. should i be practiceing when it is?
                    even though you really have no controll?
                    how long was it before you tried you frirst drift on dry pavment?
                    im just confused on what i would do if i tried to drift dry.. but me myself i dont considerit to be ral drifting unless it is dry.. thats my opinian=)
                    I lived in Chicago for about five years, and I can say that even though I had drifted long before moving there I never knew car control before living there. Not only is it required that you drive in extremely slippery conditions but you have to control your car at high speeds on the hwy when its iced and snowed over too. I would love it when the snow came so I could get my boosted Cressidia out in the Joliet mall Parking lot and slide the day and night away.
                    You have to learn sometime, and being able to induce slide without really trying will teach you how to atleast maintain steering angle and keep the throttle smooth. You will pick up skills that are invaluble. By the time your able to snow slide at speed you'll atleast be somewhat competitive at local meets. BTW, it snows like crazy in parts of Japan, and where do you think the best drifters come from

Comment

Different friction levels create different experiences. Part of it is the tire/road surface interaction. Some tires like the wet and are "grippy" and stable. Some are much more irratic in the wet. Similar goes for snow and ice and gravel. Different surfaces, different behaviors. As well, the car will physically act different and the loading becomes different when the amount of force changes. Suspension geometry is different since the loading is different. Techniques stay the same, but how you drive changes some from type to type.

I feel it's good to become well-rounded and be familiar with as many surface types as possible. This isn't only drifting but simply car control. How does it feel to maneuver and slide around on ice, snow, gravel, dirt, standing water, etc.?

Comment

^Good point, especially how one tire reacts to varying road surfaces compared to another. I put some Blizzak snows on the rear this winter and it's made my car VERY unpredictable in the snow. I don't like it at all. I'm not even putting my bumper back on until spring because I see no point in ripping it off again.

Comment

^^

what PSI were you running?

Comment

Consistency makes drifting easy. Inconsistency makes the challenge. It requires you to be able to read the road and react to different grip levels on all 4 corners. This doesn't depend on the road surface. You can drive on shear ice or the smoothest of pavement and drifting can be relatively easy once you get used to the surface. You start mixing gravel, mud, ice, ruts, etc. and things get challenging, enough so were you are so ready to barrel into a corner full sideways unless you're intimately familiar with the road surface (had driven on it very recently and know every detail).

Comment

Working...
                            X