Rev Limiter in Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev Limiter in Drifting

What are the benifiets of rev limiters in drifting execution and counter correcting. I want one for my 300zx for the effect but wanted to know the feel of how it would effect the full "sweep".
    Anyone know who makes rev limiters for my car and where i can get good front and rear strut bars.

i always thought the point was to get rid of the rev limiter... granted the sum total of my drifting experience is riding shot gun in my friends all-trac on gravel but i would imagine that hitting the revlimiter would cause you to lose power to the wheels and that would cause a return of grip which would end your drift...

TF

Comment

A rev-limiter is to keep you from blowing up your engine!

If you've hit the limiter at the redline it's time to shift.

-MR

Comment

Good point. Most people want to "get rid of the rev limiter" because the nice people who assemble your cars don't want you revving the thing too high. If they didn't have rev limiters on cars dealers would not want to warranty anything

That being said, removing the rev limiter is a good way to get some untapped ponies as the limiter is going to be set to a safe margin where the engine has been tested and is consistently not failing under the high revs.

A rev limiter in drifting would not be too too bad of an idea, it would act as one great engine saver for those with the lead foot. However you would have to set it so you wouldn't run into it everytime, so 500-700 RPM over max power output might be a nice place... just a thought. Otherwise at a pivitol moment where you would wan't to rev a little more your spark would cut out reducing engine/driveline speed and causing your car to grab traction suddenly in an undesireable manner.

Then again you could just excercise some restraint. The pedal does not need to be driven through to floor at all times

Comment

when you are bouncing off the REV limiter like I and many people are.. taking it off would NOT be a good idea. some turn I have taken are just max power on and to keep it going just full throttle ON.. hearing it just BOUNCE off.. ba ba ba ba ba ba ....

so for drifting i would not recommend taking it off or at least having one set to a safe mark.

Comment

If you're going to mess with it at all, getting a variable limiter and moving it just past peak power is the best bet - there's no reason to move it any farther.

I was under the impression that manufacturers set their limiters to right at the powerband so that they can advertise the most power possible, but on older cars like S13s and FCs and AE86's, this may not be the case.

-MR

Comment

Most power but at an acceptable level. Most of the time you can get more power but reliability and warranty go out the window at that time... from what I've seen anyhow.

Comment

if your car doesnt have a rev limiter, it must have been removed by a shop. the only thing im going to do is use an after market ecu, im thinking the Mine's SR one, which just moves the redline back. you wouldnt want no rev limiter, or one that kicks in durin the powerband, both of those would suck....

Comment

ok, coming from an engine building backround, removong the revlimiter should never be done! and if you want to raise it higher than 300-400 rpms, please upgrade yur springs and retainers to take the load and prevent valve float(valve and piston give eachother a high-5). this still doesnt stop how high yur piston speeds are (piston side-load), oil starvation, etc.
                  id say looking at the strokes of the SR20 and Ka24's, heres what id recomend WITH upgraded valvetrain:
                  SR20det- 8000-8500
                  ka24de-7500-8000.

hope this helps

Comment

yeah, the Mine's ecu i plan on using moves the redline back from 8000 to around 8300, and it works with the stock motor, w/o endangering it from problems (it is safe to use w/o spendig sh!t loads of money on all new topend and internals). the thing im most after in that ecu is the removal of the governer. Do transplant SR20DET's come with governers though?

Comment

Also keep in mind that Reving higher might not always mean you make more power. Your cam(s) will have a powerband that they are good for. If you rev higher than your cam's powerband, you might actually be losing a little power (compared to your peak power point) and adding unneeded stress. Valve float is also an issue that needs to be addressed. So while 8000rpm sounds cool, if you actually make more power @ 7,500rpm its probably a better idea to set the limiter to 7,500rpm. Now keep in mind I know nothing about building Import Motors, only what I have learned building Domestics. On a stock 89 Camaro, peak power is around 4,800 rpm. It can rev it out to 5,500, but you are making less power at 5,500 than you are at 4,800. Change the cam and it can pull to 5,500 with peak power at 5,500. Most Domestics use an ignition with a rev limiter if they desire the ability to adjust. These ignitions have either plug in chips (MSD) or dials (Crane) that allow you to set the rev limit.

Comment

now who would want to get rid of there rev limiter??? thats jsut retarded! governer yes, but rev limiter............ummmmmmmm NO seriously. and who would want to build a 300zx for drifting??? 300zx and drift dont mix buddy, but they are the *Censored*in Grip driving!!!

now for an aftermarket rev limiter, what it does is it over rides ur stock one, which cuts off fuel causeing u to run lean as *Censored*and instead it shuts off the spark to the plugs at what ever RPM u set it at causeing the motor to run rich, and if u know anything about cars u know that lean= blown engine, and rich= poor fuel economy and cool flames coming out the exhaust

Comment

yeah but if youre too rich then theres that detonation and still an engine pop.

just dont remove the rev limiter. just learn how to drive it.

Comment

I think the original post was in regards to a product like the Bee*R limiter, which basically does the same thing as the stock one but with a pyrotechnics show and is adjustable. I seriously doubt they were talking about removing the stock one altogether. Makes sense to me...

Comment

whoever said just shift..

thats what i say.

who cares about the rev limiter.

stay in the middle of ur power band, when u have ur revs way the hell up, u cant modulate ur drift too much, u can only let off to reduce ur angle, but u cant give it any gas to increase ur angle.. but i guess thats what the handbrake is for

what do i know

im stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X