V4, V6, or V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools

A guy in my shop said something to me the other day. "Tools don't make a mechanic." He told me not to start spending a whole bunch of money on tools yet. anything I get now should get now is anything I would really need. I have to get swivel sockets and extentions, in 3/8 and 1/2, for removing transmissions. I have a Stanley air ratchet and a red and black impact gun with the letters RR on it. I don't know the name of the impact gun. I also need some sockets and tools for tires. We don't change tires, but I know how to rotate them. If they trust me enough with someone's brakes, I might get some tools for that.

Comment

I'm going to try to sum this up:

Originally posted by CivicGhost99 View Post
      i always mix up verticle and transmounted engines. if the valves go from left to right, they are inline with each either, if they are front to back, they are verticle to the car. the v is the shape the pistons go while on the crankshaft (hence ford v6 or v8 engines). inline is when each valve has it's own channel on the crankshaft. v engines share channels (unless it's v4). rotary is like a giant gear that spins along the inside of another gear on one side of the engine. i should have said that the sr20 is a common 4-valve swap instead. i'm just looking for a cheap way to find any horsepower i would be missing if i had a weak engine. i wouldn't think that a 6-valve engine would lack horsepower. i've heard that you need to have 250hp at least to drift well, and i know you have to put alot of money into a 4-valve engine to have any speed at all.

i've heard that Tein has a strut coilover set that is adjustable for on the fly height settings. if anyone knows the name of this system, could you tell me (i feel too lazy to look it up myself. i'll probablly look it up once i finally have a car ). that would be kinda phat to have a car with that system. that would be pretty darn kinda phat to have a setting for drifting, 1/4 mile, and normal settings to be able to use without having to go to the shop or cut springs to raise and lower the car.
      One, the first paragraph literally makes no sense. You're trying to explain something that was already explained in a way that's so messed up I doubt even you yourself can understand it.
      Two, if you're too lazy to look up what you want to do with your car I bet if you do get a driftable car you're going to be too lazy to even learn how to drift. Like wikipedia. I'm sure millions, billions of people will agree with me that you can trust the information from that site. Seems to me like you're just too lazy to do the research and look it up on there.

i wouldn't plan on putting a stronger engine in a car without upgrading the transmission. you eventually have to drop the tranny when you upgrade a cars engine. you can only drive but for so long on a regular transmission. the torque would be so great, that you would screw your transmission from simply putting the car in 1st gear. the engine should be one of the last things you do. you should do the suspension, brakes, before you get to the transmission and engine aspect of a car. you have to decide what engine and transmission you will put into a car to determine if you have to change anything else in the car. i know that upping a cars power has it's downside.

i don't care what anyone says, it's hard to find 240s, silvias, supras, or anyother kind of beginner car, cheap and manual. this is the main reason i want to be different with a car. you don't only always see those cars around here, they are also hard to find. anyone that has one, if it's a manual, they have put money into it. you wouldn't be getting a cheap car. and if you can find one that no one has upgraded yet, the car is either a automatic or would be the king of car a shop would have to back.
      One, why did you even bring up that first part? He wasn't even talking about that. You just randomly start explaining things like you're defensive or something and it just wastes yours and our time to read it all.
      Two, if you're too lazy to read up on coilovers and wikipedia you're probably too lazy to look up beginner cars because it is not hard to find those. You just have to look hard enough and if you were serious about this whole thing you would have found a lot of each of those by now. And what does an upgraded car have anything to do with automatic in any shape or form. Most of that last paragraph also doesn't make any sense. Just words put together.

it's ust kinda hard if the only kind of driving you know is how people tell you how not to drive. i ain't no pro, but i know what to do if you get chased by a cop (run, don't flip the car, and don't get pitted). i learned how to drive by driving in the streets. that's the only way i know how to drive, like i'm from "...the f*ckin hood...". anything i learn from here is new to me anyway. from dirt nothing to rollin big is hard to do in my town. i have already been close to losing my life last year (i was robbed and hit in the eye with a brick. when i was robbed, they hit me with a gun to knock me out instead of shooting me to rob me). blunt force trauma to the head is what they told me in the ER. now, i have a titanium plate in my face and on the bridge of my nose from being hit with the brick (i'm cross-eyed whenever i look down now). not much can shake me, unless you catch me offguard. i don't practice because i'm scared (you can go do somekind of drifting in any car), i don't because i don't know what i'm doing. i do alot of things right, and alot of things wrong. i just want to make my everyday car (whatever in the world it may be) into a car i can drift, or even drift and use as a show car.
      Who ever told you that you should run if you get chased by a cop? Where do you even get your information from? Cuz whatever it is it's a lot less reliable than wikipedia. And why did you suddenly change the subject so randomly? We're not here to help you work out your personal problems. We're here because you asked a question car related. And I would like to help, really, but someone already answered it like in the first page but you kept asking basically the same question over and over and got the same answer but still refused to listen.

I think you should use the information given to you, do some research by yourself. Maybe even try wikipedia and learn some more about this subject.

Also, all three types of engines that you listed can problably go atleast 120 mph and I really doubt you're even gonna be drifting at over 100 mph so why would you need a bigger engine? All of those engine types will get you as fast as you need to go, especially if you're just going to drift occasionally. Like someone said before, even 90 hp will do you good at this point, at any point, unless you're turning pro.

Comment

You!

it's funny how someone giving an honest opinion online, in a forum, is that important to someone else doing(hint...Research). I smell an ex-AOL Online Bully. have you ever been chased by the cops kid? if you read any of my other posts, u would know that i ran from the cops one night for street racing. i don't do that anymore. using more than one source was research the last time i checked n e way . you are officially a stupid pee-pee ka-ka head. you aren't allowed to talk unless you raise your hand yo.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifting Pwns View Post
          I'm going to try to sum this up:
          I can sum it up ever better by saying this thread was over.

Also Civicghost and Failrider should become friends.

Comment

I just couldn't stand reading this thread without saying something. It just annoys me.

Comment

LMAO

Civic... just buy an Eclipse, they make great drift cars. Hell, they have like 6 2nd gears , 8 3rd gears and a few more 4th gears....all the better for drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopDrifter View Post
                LMAO

Civic... just buy an Eclipse, they make great drift cars. Hell, they have like 6 2nd gears , 8 3rd gears and a few more 4th gears....all the better for drifting.
                I don't think I've ever hear of Eclipse's drifting but then again I'm a noob and I haven't hear much of anything so far in the drifting world.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron View Post
                  I can sum it up ever better by saying this thread was over.

Also Civicghost and Failrider should become friends.
                  01-27-2008, 01:14 PM to be exact.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopDrifter View Post
                    LMAO

the only eclipse you can even attempt to drift is the 4wd eclipse. you can only do tricks in any other one. i really wonder why people think that, "Us city folk" can't drift. if you know how to drive clutch, you should be able to know how to control the throttle enough to slide the tail of the car. a 4wd car is harder to control. it's for someone that is hard on the throttle all the time. they will drift, and make alot of smoke. they are easy to lose control in too. you have to have good brakes. slotted titanium brakes are the best. titanium brakes dissipate more heat quicker. the 4wd ecipse is a nice car, but it's a better cross car. you would really have to try to deck-it-out to drift it n e way. i want a evo 9, it's an all-around car. i'm trying to find someone on craigs list getting rid of a hatchback AE86. I DON'T CARE IF IT ISN'T RUNNING, I NEED A CAR! everyone keeps saying, "just get a 240" i want to build a car, so if i can find one that isn't running for cheap or find one for the price range i have, i can paint the car and where the engine is the same color. i don't want a green car with a red engine compartment.

and for whoever cares, i made a mistake by saying v4 at the begining of this thread. if forgot that v4's aren't a common engine. i wrote I4 instead of Inline-4 in my notebook from the school i went to.

Comment

i wrote I4 instead of Inline-4 in my notebook from the school i went to.
                      What does that have to do with anything?

Comment

What does that have to do with anything?
                        everyone jumped down my neck for saying v4.

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by soultron
                          V4?
                          H4 maybe, but V4?

what's a H4?
                          i don't know much about engines. is a v6 a good engine to use?
                          L4: OOOO - example: honda civic

O O
                          H4: H - example: subuaru or porsche aka suitcase motors aka flat 4's
                          O O

L6: OOOOOO - example, my supra! aka straight six...

O O
                          O O
                          O O
                          V6: V - example: pontiac grandprix, nissan 350z, 08 skyline

help?

note: each "O" represents a cylinder, the "V" is the shape of the motor...

see:

see how its in the shape of a "V" with 4 cylinders on each side?

here:

is a L6 or "straight" 6, there known for having the low end torque of a v8, with the rpm band of a L4....

here:

that is a L4 as you can tell, it makes sort of a "L" shape when looking at it, which is how it got its name, alont with V8's and other configurations.

here:

is a subaru short block which is a "H4" these are a pain to work on, not to hard to replace out of a legacey how ever... there are 2 cylinders on each side, with the crank shaft right in the middle... can you tell why theve been refered to as "suit case" motors? (maybe its just a midwest thing?)

...hope that helps.
                          Last edited by ; 04-12-2008, 09:26 AM.

Comment

100 cool points if you can name all 4 engines pictured!

Comment

everyone jumped down my neck for saying v4.
                              Still what you wrote in your notebook from the school you went to has nothing to do with what you called it.

"i wrote I4 instead of Inline-4 in my notebook from the school i went to."

It's not like you wrote v4 in your notebook. You wrote I4 which is correct.

Comment

Still what you wrote in your notebook from the school you went to has nothing to do with what you called it.

"i wrote I4 instead of Inline-4 in my notebook from the school i went to."

It's not like you wrote v4 in your notebook. You wrote I4 which is correct.

how ever, people use L4 or L6 as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X