X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20DET v.s. KA24DET

KA max-->(black lettering) 347.3 hp, 337.4 lbs of torque

SR max-->(red lettering) 357.5 hp, 270.7 lbs of torque

Both similar builds, both running 15psi.

Credit goes to the knowledgable and helpfull guys at Fresh Alloy.
    Attached Files

Nice post. I opened this thread expecting one more goofy thread about nothing and see this. Great job.

Comment

Good info. That extra displacement really helps. Do you know what kind of turbos? i expect there similar. And what kind of internal mods? if any.

Comment

t3/t4 on KA, GT30/35 on SR, very similar sized turbos, both stock bottom ends. Both standalone engine management.

Comment

Cool. thanks for the info.

Man i'd love to someone take both of those engines and keep upping the bost until something blows. if any magazine editors are listening.. this is a hint...

Comment

Very nice, now my only issue is cost. I can have a 15psi KA for around 3000, or a stock SR for around say.......3000. This is the only downside TO ME about the SR. Why pay 3000 to play catchup to the Japanese counter part when you can just mod your engine for cheaper and more hp????? Just doesn't make sense, especially since nobody can say that they're doing it to be different anymore. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just for the budget drifter, it doesn't make sense to spend money on a different engine when you can fix up your engine and make it better for the same price. I really want to know if there are real advantages to the SR that justify the price you pay for them.

Comment

KA24de-t's sound great for torque and seem like great engines. Expecially for a street car but I kinda like revving engines, and shifting at 8 grand.

Comment

Yep, with the KA you sacrifice revs. Though, mod for mod, your torque curve would be better, and I have never heard of KA rocker arm stoppers coming off their seats. Wonder why...

Comment

Whats the problem with lack of revs? Wouldn't it be nice to skip the lower revs in a SR power band a go straight to the good stuff?

Comment

I dont, honestly i wish my stock KA24 had more up top. it gets to were i dont even want to take it to the red line because ill make more power shifting earlier. But shifting earlier takes me out of that first gear ratio faster. same is true for every gear. theres just a big difference relatively speaking between the first and second gears and the others.

EDIT: it was late. i just got done with that big 240 post in the "what are these acronyms" post so if this doesnt make sense i apologise.
                    Last edited by nissanguy_24; 02-22-2004, 02:56 AM.

Comment

If you've ever seen Tony Shulz's black S14 with KA, you'll want a turbo'd KA.

For Panda - that 3000 for the KA could include the cost of the car if you know how to save money...

-MR

Comment

Yeah? Whats so special about it?

Personally i want me a rb25 ! but i think all of the engines are great. it comes down to personal preferance.

Comment

Oh yea, you could get a nice 240 for a great price if you look in the right places, then you still have 1500 to spend on the turbo. I would much rather have a car than a turbo kit. You're right it does come down to personal preference, but my preference is cost, I don't like to spend money where I don't need to. 3000 dollars for an engine is not a worthwhile investment to me. thats just my opinion.

Comment

well when i look at it my KA24 has alot of miles on, approching 200k rapidly. Even if im considering a turbo kit im going to want a new KA24. Then im stuck with whatever turbo the turbo kit i buy comes with. that may or may not be what i want. I like the displacement of the KA24, and ilike the idea of a stock or near stock turbo with the good response. so to me a RB25DET is a great solution. a nearly stock rb would put down just about all the power i want really.

Thats how i came to want that motor. Of course it has plenty of draw backs. cost and weight being one. but everything is like that.

Comment

I ran a s14 sr once. I thought it was a cool motor untill I realized that I spent way too much money on it. I spent $3000 on a front clip and still needed the wiring done and that was another $250. $750 for a gt28r aka s15 turbo, megan racing manifold $100, HKS actuator $100, blitz 550cc injectors $400, Q45 maf $100, ACT clutch $350, apex afc $300, dyno time $150, and I got 311whp out of it which I thought was pretty good. Then came the problems. SR started missfiring and I found out it was the coilpacks but I didn't want to waste my money on a used set because it might be deffective. So I got a splitfire system that cost $450 and then my rocker arms broke. Trying to find those things are a trick but I did find them and paid $30 on 2 arms. Then I spent another $60 on greddy rocker arm stoppers. So I spent $5500 for all that and I installed all the parts my self. If you went to a shop and payed them to do it you would be spending about $8000 or more on parts and labor.
                              So I took that piece of crap motor out and sold it for $4000 and used the money for a KA project. This is what I got out of it. Fully built KA, crower rods, cp piston .020 overbore, revhard manifold, t3/t61 turbo, msd 72 lbs injectors, tial 38mm wastegate, arp head and main studs, cometic head gasket, complete head job, performance toda oil pump and fuel pressure regulator, Jim wolf ecu programed for 72 lbs injectors, and Z32 maf rev is set to 7000 rpm and some other stuff. I got 487whp and 472 torqe. With the sr I ran 12.5 on the 1/4 mile with drag radials and with the ka I ran a 11.2 with a slipping 4 puck ACT clutch. I spent just under $5000 on the KA turbo setup. Thats my logic. If you want more information about the KA TURBO MOTOR go
                              ka-t.org and you will find a better motor for a better price. Don't waste your money on an SR when you already have a great motor for less money.

Comment

Working...
                              X