ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"DRIFT TRUCK" Im gonna Do It!!! Goods and Bads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Neo_Drift View Post
    That is one cool project. You don't see a lot of drift trucks at all. I'm making my e36 into a Ute, but that's different.
    I hope this works out for you.
    Well, I'd say "You're not the only one," but you're really not! LOL I'm pretty excited myself!

Comment

• Hey justin, any updates on this?

Comment

• Yeah, you have to love plans, as they are always changing. Well, they do for me. Found complete and mostly complete VG30E's, purchased a Megasquirt, am going to rebuild my T3/T4 turbo for the VG, and now have a Hero Cam that I bought from Circuit City for $83 . Will be ordering a wideband controller Friday, start getting the truck ready for April 4-5th for a Redline show event in New Brunswick, NJ (as a four cylinder, if Nikolas of Redline approves, have no doubt though so long as I have it presentable by then).

Comment

• Look what arrived today!

Putting it together tomorrow!

Comment

• Took me a few hours, but I got it done!

Comment

• Very nice. Can't wait to see more.

Comment

• Justin, if you want coil overs on the front, there is an easier way then doing them like the garage miniz trucks. I along with a few other guys have QA-1 coilovers in the front of our tacomas. You could ditch the torsion bar setup in the hard body and beef up the lower control arms and run the QA1 stuff.

Here are some pics and info
                Current springs are 565lb/in but I might have to go up to a 650 spring. I have cheap wanli 215/45/17s still on the wheels (wheels are 17x9 +27) but should switch them out to a 225/45/17 595 feds since I have a set of those. I also bought a set of the new Kumho XS tires in a 245/45/17.

Front leaf spring hangers and front crossmember have less then 3" of clearance.

I couldnt get a better pic of the sus with my phone.

My autox and maybe drift & time attack setup
                245/45/17 Kumho XS tires on 17x9 +35 rims.
                I would like to go lower but the tires hit in the inner fenders on bumps. Plus I have no preload on the coil overs, so I would need a helper spring to help keep the coil spring in place when I jack it up.
                Last edited by Toycoma; 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toycoma View Post
                  Justin, if you want coil overs on the front, there is an easier way then doing them like the garage miniz trucks. I along with a few other guys have QA-1 coilovers in the front of our tacomas. You could ditch the torsion bar setup in the hard body and beef up the lower control arms and run the QA1 stuff.

Here are some pics and info
                  Current springs are 565lb/in but I might have to go up to a 650 spring. I have cheap wanli 215/45/17s still on the wheels (wheels are 17x9 +27) but should switch them out to a 225/45/17 595 feds since I have a set of those. I also bought a set of the new Kumho XS tires in a 245/45/17.

Front leaf spring hangers and front crossmember have less then 3" of clearance.

I couldnt get a better pic of the sus with my phone.

My autox and maybe drift & time attack setup
                  245/45/17 Kumho XS tires on 17x9 +35 rims.
                  I would like to go lower but the tires hit in the inner fenders on bumps. Plus I have no preload on the coil overs, so I would need a helper spring to help keep the coil spring in place when I jack it up.
                  OHHH, I love that QA1 idea! I wish I had five lug hubs on my truck so I could have better wheel options.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be on a hold for modifications for about three months. I've decided to pay off a credit card to free up more funds for myself. I've also decided that the V6 will be too much of a hassle right now and am looking to trade them both for a KA24DE. I feel it's a fair trade, but we'll see.

Comment

• I think the KA is the better choice. they actually came in later model hardbody nissans. I would get one from a s14 240 along with the ecu or use that stand alone so you can rev it to 7,000. the truck KAs might not rev as high but I have no idea for sure.

Comment

I think the KA is the better choice. they actually came in later model hardbody nissans. I would get one from a s14 240 along with the ecu or use that stand alone so you can rev it to 7,000. the truck KAs might not rev as high but I have no idea for sure.
                      Truck KAs were single cams, so it's like a S13. I've put them out on the forums and craigslist.

What model QA1 did you use?

Comment

• GMP-1450 but I got them with out the 450 lb/in 10 inch long springs and ordered the ms565 springs. You need to find a company or talk to qa1 direct and find out what to get since your truck does not use a coil spring in the front like the tacoma does.

Comment

GMP-1450 but I got them with out the 450 lb/in 10 inch long springs and ordered the ms565 springs. You need to find a company or talk to qa1 direct and find out what to get since your truck does not use a coil spring in the front like the tacoma does.
                          Yeah, I'd have to also fab up an upper spring bucket, too. But, I think the solution to that would be to cut off and weld on the buckets from a Tacoma or something.

Comment

• they have a coil overs that has a piece of metal to hold the top of the spring in place. you don't need to run the same style coil psring that I am running.

Comment

they have a coil overs that has a piece of metal to hold the top of the spring in place. you don't need to run the same style coil psring that I am running.
                              That would make it easier.

I'm going to have to get tubular upper control arms, though. I have about less than 1/4" of space between the shock and the stamped UCA. I think the LCA will just need thicker ears for the lower shock mount.

You also running QA1s in the rear?

Comment

• I plan on running the star stockers or what ever they are called once I have the money. I plan on getting the double adjustable shocks though. I am sticking with leaf springs because of the classes I want to run in autox and maybe time attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X