ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drifters age 18-26 This is going to suck for us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifters age 18-26 This is going to suck for us!

Subject: Mandatory Drafting June 2005

My friend who works for the federal government got this email today from her union rep. I thought it was important enough to pass along. Mandatory drafting for boys and girls (age 18-26) starting June 15 2005, is something, I believe, everyone should know. This literally affects EVERYONE since we all have or know children that will have to go if this bill passes.

If there are children in your family, READ this.

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

Even those voters who currently support U.S. Actions abroad may still object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a shelter and includes women in the draft -- Also, crossing into Canada has already been made very difficult.

Actions, actions, actions:

Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all the aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents.... And let your children know it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change!

Please also write to your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

The draft $28 million has been added to the 2004 selective service system (sss) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation.

Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle5146.htm

www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year,

http://www.hslda.org/legislation/nat...89/default.asp

http://www.hslda.org/legislation/nat...89/default.asp entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, an! d for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Avoiding the draft will be more difficult than during the Vietnam era. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country.

Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

This was from another fourm. I guess I'll have to sell the supra or keep it in storage until I return.

This is serious.

Comment

daaamn....i really like bush, and i really like what he is doing over there in iraq, but thats just f*cked... i mean, im starting school in october, and finishing the next october, and then the plan was to move to japan...and leave this country probably for good..but if that sh!t passes, japan and drifting and everything goes down the tubes for a load of sh!t that doesnt concern me....*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*

Comment

I'm in the same boat.

Comment

The Truth
          The bills, S.89 and H.R.163 are real.
          But they are not new.
          An eRumor started circulating in June, 2004 warning that the draft was only a year away.
          In reality, these twin bills have existed since 2003 and have never gotten out of committees.
          In other words, they are stagnant.
          Nobody in Washington seriously expects a draft and certainly not by 2005.
          It's known as the "reinstate draft" bill or the "Universal National Service Act of 2003."
          The wording of the bill says it is "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."
          It would require U.S. citizens and other residents, both male and female, between the ages of 18 and 26 to serve two years of "national service."

The reason the bills have gotten attention in 2004 is the military actions in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the war on terrorism.
          There has been debate about troop strength in Iraq and the status of all the U.S. Armed Forces.
          The U.S. Selective Service, however, says that despite the Internet stories, the agency is not getting ready to conduct a draft.
          It says it is ready to do so should the President and Congress decide, but "that responsibility has been ongoing since 1980 and is nothing new."
          The Selective Service further says that "...both the President and the Secretary of Defense have stated on more than one occasion that there is no need for a draft for the War on Terrorism or any likely contingency, such as Iraq. Additionally, the Congress has not acted on any proposed legislation to reinstate a draft."

Comment

well lets hope that it stays "stagnant" then...like i said, i have other plans, and serving for 2 years would royally suck...i mean its not like our status in iraq is so bad right now, right? not like we are dying offf fast enough to need a hardcore draft....correct?

Comment

This eRumor got me all worried for nothing. Thanks for the informative reply 05m0515.

This should be sticky.

Comment

well by 05 I'll be out of the loop, but it's still a shame.
                mandatory draft just cause they need more bodies....
                looks like the services aren't as appealing as they used to be.

Comment

I'll just enroll into the University of Toronto. Screw the draft.

Comment

That said there has been serious discussion recently about the idea of reinstituting the draft, After all we need to fight Mister Bush's wars over seas. I for one will not allow my self to be drafted to kill innocent people in a god forsaken country thousands of miles away. I will allow my self to be drafted when our country is invaded by a foreign army. But not to further Bush's or anyone else's political agenda.

Sorry bush, thats just the way i feel.

You know Gaurd and reservist have already benn called up and now they are calling up retired military personal. Drafting civilians is the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by WildSe7en
                      I'll just enroll into the University of Toronto. Screw the draft.
                      thay will deport you we sighned a treaty on draft dodging after viet nam smart guy, any one who likes bush needs to go volinter for the rest of us that dont

Comment

Am I the only one who suspects liberal involvement in this e-rumor to try and bring down Bush?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
                          daaamn....i really like bush, and i really like what he is doing over there in iraq, but thats just f*cked
                          i like CLinton better, he's just a playa. as for the war in Iraq, whatabout the people in Kuwaitt too? sorry to break it to you guys, but on my friend's 19th and 23rd birthday he had to be in the ARMY!!! so he couldn't celebrate it. ( his birthday is in july 4th). just a taste of reality. well anyway i guess this affects me cuz i'll be turning 18 in Jan.

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                          Am I the only one who suspects liberal involvement in this e-rumor to try and bring down Bush?
                          ^ as for that goes, it's a longshot.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                            "Conservatives" control the House the Senate the whitehouse, and basicly the supream court, and the FCC giving them final say over all media. Yet theres a liberal conspiracy at foot?
                            Last edited by nissanguy_24; 07-14-2004, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Bush has too much dirty laundry to be even considered for re-election. He's sending our guys out to fight and die for what?? A cause that he can't even prove in our faces. Oh, but he knows there was weapons of mass destruction in Iraq because GOD told him so. Great, so were dealing with a guy who talks to god about going to war. Amazing that a god who sent his son down to bring peace to the world and save us now wants us to go to war over something that hasn't even been proven. We've been there for over a year and your telling me you haven't found anything yet?? The guy can't even talk right:

“As you notice, when there's a hole in the ground and a person is able to crawl into it in a country the size of California, it means we're on a scavenger hunt for terror, and find these terrorists who hide in holes is to get people coming forth to describe the location of the hole, is to give clues and data. And we're on it.”

“It's a different kind of combat mission, but, nevertheless, it's combat, just ask the kids that are over there killing and being shot at.”

“In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious consequences, and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences.”

“The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur.”

Doesn't he make total sense?? And the records that showed his military service was inadvertenly destroyed??? Now, the FCC is trying take away our freedom of speech from us. Yeah, he's done a lot of great things. And for a bunch of people who believe in descency, they sure gamble a lot in Las Vegas. And with the Republican convention coming to NY, we seem to have an influx of prostitutes. Yeah, real decent people. Sorry about the rant, just can't believe whats happening to the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X