Red Bull Drifting World Championship on SPEED TV! 12.21.2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull Drifting World Championship on SPEED TV! 12.21.2008

For those who weren't able to make it out to Southern California, to see Red Bull Drifting World Championship now here's your chance to see the crazy action! Check your local listing's for air times on SPEED TV!

Sunday Afternoon 12/21/08 @ 4:00 pm NEW
    Monday Overnight 12/22/08 @ 3:00 am
    Tuesday Afternoon 12/23/08 @ 2:00 pm

Long Beach, Calif. – December 17, 2008 – The highly anticipated Red Bull Drifting World Championship program will air this Sunday, December 21 on SPEED at 1 PM (PST). The 1 hour episode will feature all of the highlights of the largest drifting event in history that took place on November 15-16 at the Port of Long Beach.

Relive the competition as 17 past and present drifting champions from the top drifting organizations in the world were brought together by Formula DRIFT for the inaugural Red Bull Drifting World Championship. Watch as the competitors slide sideways at speeds over 100 mph and within inches of the wall to battle for the largest prize purse in drifting history and the title of Drifting World Champion.

State of the art technology was used to capture each intense round of competition to take drift programming to the next level. The Red Bull Drifting World Championship program was shot in HiDef and is the first drifting show to incorporate the use of 16 mm video to vividly capture each dramatic moment of the event. The use of an “Ultimate Arm,” often used in Hollywood for specialized vehicle photography, was utilized for a dramatic opening sequence while aerial helicopter footage will showcase the unique venue and spectacular head-to-head action.

“With this level of technology and resources used for this event we were able to capture, cut, edit and deliver the single greatest drifting program ever,” said Ryan Sage, vice president of marketing and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “This is one episode of drift programming that fans will not want to miss.”
    Last edited by ceso@fd; 12-17-2008, 06:14 PM.

All times EST

Comment

12.21.2008 reminder

Comment

That was awesome!

Comment

20 minutes of explaining what drifting is? Are you eff'n kidding me? Drifting has had TV coverage in North America for how long? 2 years? I think we know what drifting is even if westerners have turned it into a drag race.

But the kicker, 2 minutes to go through the bottom 16.

This BS isn't any better than the laughable FormulaD coverage. Well at least FormulaD doesn't have braces-wearing middle-school bands headlining.

I can't believe how disgusted I am right now. No wonder so many people laugh at me when I talk about drifting. I might as well go back to drag racing riced-out front wheel drive cars.

Comment

Cavi Mike - wow, a real zinger right there. POW.

I felt "okay" about the show.

Why was a high school band featured?

It would have been nice to hear from other drivers for once.

I don't want to hear Rhys talk about all his precise calculations and statistics on the surface of the course and how amazing he is.

Tanner is ok.

Sam is just boring. Oh thanks, please explain to me what drifting is. I still wasn't sure.

Comment

That Hanson on heroin band is sponsored by red bull so....

Overall it was decent.

I really wanted to see JTP vs Ueo

and a full version of Ueo vs Dai

driftking.nl dude also

FD should really come up with a DVD for this event that has EVERYTHING, even raw footage. Pro Am, Practice, Top 32, etc

for serious though

only showing the top 16 gypped the international guys....

Comment

Apparently Dai is now "the American driver".

All of those cameras angles yet the video editors can't figure out what D1 figured out almost 10 years ago.
                Last edited by my 1 88 u; 12-21-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Wow, this is odd. I'm the only one not critical of the coverage.

Guess we have to remember is that you have to fit over 5 hours of coverage in to 1 hour of TV program time.

I thought everything came out great.

Comment

I liked the new host a bit better than J-rod. That was a plus.

The helicopter footage was pretty cool, but could have been a lot better. I felt like they threw it up a lot to try and impress people.

Overall the camera angles and editing were pretty bad. G4 had a lot better coverage. Put a jig in the middle of the first big sweeper, and pan the camera across. Follow the lead car, if the follow car isn't in the shot, too bad. Use a pinhole camera midway through the sweeper to show how fast the cars are going. Even at 100mph, the camera angles didn't portray the speed very well.

It took more than 15 minutes to show a full run from start to finish. why?!

The commentary was better, but I still didn't feel like I heard the engine sounds enough.

Maybe I'm alone, but I could have easily watched an hour of interviews and commentary from all the international drivers. They all had such diverse backgrounds and such different stories to tell about being there... yet I feel like we got 2 seconds of Mike Whiddett and that's it. If I was sponsoring one of the international drivers for this competition, I would have felt short-changed.

This show had so much potential, but I feel like it missed the mark. I agree with the DVD comment!
                    Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I haven't seen the new episode yet, I'll be checking it out tomorrow, but basically the remarks about the camera angles/editing I completely agree on. I've been let down since they aired streets of long beach. I mean really, these guys are putting together a TV SHOW and are having trouble putting something together that even shows drivers hitting clipping points? Unless something has changed, competition has always been about line and how gangster you are on your line/clips.

Come on.

I mean, this is a comparison that I would NEVER want to use because I would absolutely hate to sound cocky/stuck up/etc.. but the small group of us "underground" videographers pull off better shots with less freedom than a budget crew with a show on speed. Not to mention mostly all of us use one camera... Just think if FD were to put their budget for a show towards the guys that already have experience filming not only pro drift events, but grassroots drift events.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that the drifting community actually has a show in the limelight, but something needs to change. The intro to the show is absolutely awesome, but everything else just lacks. It's like the show is just tossed together by a group of people who don't really care. Make it EXCITING. It's just way too dull and watered down.
                      Last edited by J.Herron; 12-21-2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

opening scene was gangster. EXCEPT the crap rap. and i like rap.

new announcer = awesome.

helicopter shots = awesome.

need a little more car sound.

WANT IN CAR FOOTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather pay $25 for a 3 hour DVD then an abbreviated hour long episode

but. best one yet.

Comment

It's like the show is just tossed together by a group of people who don't really care.
                          Thats the best way I can sum up the production as well.

Comment

I had high hopes for this, too. Their coverage of everything else is top-notch especially the Air Races. I actually believed this was going to be the same high quality. Am I stupid for believing that? Should I expect drifting coverage to always be nothing more than HIN coverage? It's like their target demographic is teenagers that don't even have a license yet. Why can't we take some cues from coverage in every other country? I really am upset with this.

Comment

I spied the Hooker. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X