Go Back   DRIFTING.com > General Forum > General Chat (DRIFTING Discussion/News and SITE Updates)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

(FEEDBACK) D1 GRAND PRIX USA May 2, 2009 Anaheim, CA

Old 05-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #51
OldSkool510

Major props to Forrest Wang and Ross Petty. These guys gave the J drivers all they could handle.

Atlanta better be ready for Ross Petty this weekend. This guy is drifting his *Censored**Censored**Censored* off right now. Stay in the zone Ross.
OldSkool510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #52
CamelTouge

similar deal with blaze1, industry will call line was waayyyy too slow, and it was rather difficult to locate the media will call.

yes it was a car show. this was a partnership with EXTREME AUTOFEST...of course if was going to be a car show! Not to mention that the people running this were with HIN.

Vendor area alongside the car show was huuge! Vendors were spread out everywhere. I was surprised to see alot of vendors, but im anxious to see how their other events will be like, since most of the vendors were from socal, and will not travel with D1 for the season.

Course layout sucked. Shouldve stuck to the original plan. not high speed at all. as much area that d1 rented out for this event, they shouldve did a longer, and more interesting course.

security sucked. couple of the secuirty staff were idiots. I had all access, but didnt need it as i walked around freely and was able to go to VIP access area without anyone stopping me. word to FD/D1/HIN/and all other events...dont use that company. If you do, make sure that they are educated, and somewhat happy to have a job.

Driftbox.. the general concensus from the DRIVERS is that the drift box sucks. Even the rocker kids in the stands had a sign saying the same thing. If the driftbox had something to do with Nomuken not getting in to the event, you guys must realize that there is an issue.

Pit row. I know, this is a d1 thing. but previously, they opened the pit area for at least a little bit for the fans to at least get a glimpse or a pic with their favorite drivers. The J drivers were separated from the US drivers, but I did not see a reason at all to not let the fans come into the pits to get their moneys worth. FD has done this, and have had no issues. If you dont want them directly inside your pit or around the car, fence it off. Falken does it, but still, the drivers will come up to the fence to sign autographs, take pics, etc.

Speaking of Falken, I know that they were doing some testing on their cars that day, so why judge them for not going to the event? Why would Falken invest in this event, being so close to their Main series (the following week)? And if youre going to blame Falken for not showing up..why dont you blame the other FD drivers that werent there either? (DA, RMR, AEM, MOPAR, etc etc). Definite props goes to Ross and the other FD drivers that actually were ABLE to show up.

Food and drink Vendors. 4 food vendors. Cmon. lines were outrageous. I fortunately found some friends that kicked me down with free drinks, and found out via here that sodas were 5 bucks. Outrageous.

The gumball roll-through was pretty cool. Got to see alot of cars that i will never own in my lifetime.

Announcer sucked. Sorry. Not to mention that from where i was standing, i could hear the rest of the conversations that were going on up there..via the speakers.

Being from so cal, most of us that went to this event are "spoiled" by the fact that we have at least 2 major drifting events a year. Im sure that the future events that d1 does at the other locations will have better feedback from those local fans who dont get to see as much drifting as we do. I just hope that they learned their lessons from this event and make the necessary changes to make it better.
CamelTouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #53
MissShiftS13

I'm sure what im about to state has been stated by others but definitely worse d1 event i have ever attended. These are my reasons for Irwindale being much better....

1. The sale of alcohol at Irwindale for those who choose to drink, if they sold any at anaheim it might of ended in a ruckus from how horrible the event was for sure though.

2. Being able to go in and out as you please to be able to get a bite to eat somewhere worth the price and not pay 6 bucks for a lil hot dog and a small bag of chips. I had to BS the guy at the gate that i had to use the ATM just to grab some panda express across the street.

3. No access to pit area to be able to shake drivers hands and check out their rides.

4. Driftbox sucks, it cannot calculate how some drivers lose out on angle, but yet stick the nose of the car and in some instances get side by side with the other driver. I believe the point of all this is to slide and have as much angle as you possibly can while trying to sneak the nose in or pass the driver in front.

5. The announcer sounded like he was completely clueless and didn't know anything about drifting in any possible aspect and his attempts to get the crowd into the even failed miserably. We need toshi back!!!!

6. The layout of the track was boring, at the least irwindale has the bank.

7. The seating, i had access to the bleachers but what's this BS with the people who pay to just stand.... this wasn't a concert there should have been many more bleachers the only thing i can say that is a positive is that at anaheim we were much closer to the action, Irwindale hasn't allowed people to sit that close since the first event there when people has bits of tire all over their faces.

8. Not enough vendors with goodies, all i bought was a Mine's shirt... Not much else was good... By the way i didn't mind the car show with all the show cars with big rims and what not, its not my thing but hey im sure some of those cars turned some1s head. And it has nothing to do with me having two friends from swift car club having their rides there...hahaha
MissShiftS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #54
OldSkool510

This event should be an episode on "Pros vs. Joes." lol The were just too many Joes in the event.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #55
MissShiftS13

Also what was up with making kumakubo battle it out with that american driver 3 times when it wasnt even close and yet the final round being much more close was settled after only one run. Those guys were deperately trying to have an american driver in the final and when they failed miserably they didnt give us a more exciting final round... they should have had at least one more run in the final...Scumbagged by the judges!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #56
OldSkool510

I thought the opposite. I thought they wanted to have an all Japanese battle.

If the drift box accounted for 75% of the score, and the judges only 25%, why the heck did it take so long to come up with scores? hmmmmmmm
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #57
SSmith

Can anyone from D1 please respond?
I'm a big D1 fan and supporter and just like the rest of the people here who have voiced their complaints at least would like to know how things could get better in the future. I skipped FD Long Beach to show support for D1 (wish to have gone to both if we're not in a recession).

Also, please explain the $5 soda sold by those wanna be models. That was a complete rip off!!
SSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #58
J.Herron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShiftS13 View Post
Also what was up with making kumakubo battle it out with that american driver 3 times when it wasnt even close and yet the final round being much more close was settled after only one run. Those guys were deperately trying to have an american driver in the final and when they failed miserably they didnt give us a more exciting final round... they should have had at least one more run in the final...Scumbagged by the judges!!!!
You're not serious are you???
J.Herron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #59
MissShiftS13

I just thought that they tried really hard to eliminate kumakubo when he was dominating all the american competition and they made him battle it out 3 times with a guy who kumakubo was just short of surpassing every run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool510 View Post
I thought the opposite. I thought they wanted to have an all Japanese battle.

If the drift box accounted for 75% of the score, and the judges only 25%, why the heck did it take so long to come up with scores? hmmmmmmm
Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #60
Slapshotnerd

Quote:
This event should be an episode on "Pros vs. Joes." lol The were just too many Joes in the event.
best description yet!
Slapshotnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #61
srfiveten

We left at like 5:30. Just out of curiosity who actually won the event?
srfiveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #62
eomund240

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfiveten View Post
We left at like 5:30. Just out of curiosity who actually won the event?
Daigo in the Chaser. It was so close it would've been nice to get a one more time, but daigo did honestly win by having a smidget more angle than Kuma.
eomund240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #63
OldSkool510

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
best description yet!
Maybe this is part of that largest TV deal they signed. lol

Did anyone see FOX TV out there covering the event?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #64
facked_yer_mom

why didnt they run super 16 challenge? oh yeah when will be the air dates for FOX on d1?

Last edited by facked_yer_mom; 05-04-2009 at 04:17 PM.
facked_yer_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #65
OldSkool510

Quote:
Originally Posted by facked_yer_mom View Post
How did you come up with that screen name? That *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* is too funny. You better not tell me because you "facked_my_mom" either.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #66
Hach1r0k1d03

Send a message via AIM to Hach1r0k1d03
did anybody else think kumakubo corrected at the first switchback when chasing forrest the first time?
Hach1r0k1d03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #67
OldSkool510

did anyone else notice how long it took the judges to score that run?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #68
drift2thextreme

Angry

The highlight for me was seeing Ross Petty drifting and his cool car thanks Ross. Can anyone from D1 Respond to what has been written in this forum about the event just don't promote stuff that u won't do please.
drift2thextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #69
drift2thextreme

Thumbs down

Mr.Goodwin are you not ashamed of reading all this it took like a year to plan a very unorganized event what the hell was dub doing in a d1 event. If you want to be successful you need more collaboration from the d1 japan like previous d1 events that where a blast. There needs to more japanese drivers i still remember in irwindale the tandem battles where intense nothing to Anaheim. Oh and to all drifting.com members and fans i want to apologize if i created a bigger hype i thought these guys from driven events knew what they where doing but guess not. Mr. Isao Saita please do something it hurt's to say coming from a long time fan and supporter of d1 it but d1 usa could die every one agrees that this is the worst d1 event in the u.s.a i don't even want to go to a d1 event in the future. I travel 3 hours to anaheim to see a nightmare.

Last edited by drift2thextreme; 05-05-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #70
Hach1r0k1d03

Send a message via AIM to Hach1r0k1d03
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2thextreme View Post
Oh and to all drifting.com members and fans i want to apologize if i created a bigger hype i thought these guys from driven events knew what they where doing but guess not.
haha. at first i thought you were some driven events worker in disguise with your super random finland driver info.
Hach1r0k1d03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #71
drift2thextreme

Nope i would be embarrassed right now if i was driven events worker the d1 grand prix name too big for them.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #72
OldSkool510

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2thextreme View Post
Mr.Goodwin are you not ashamed of reading all this it took like a year to plan a very unorganized event what the hell was dub doing in a d1 event. Oh and to all drifting.com members and fans i want to apologize if i created a bigger hype i thought these guys from driven events knew what they where doing but guess not.
Ali from D1 actually called me and "drfit2thextreme" out for creating hype. It's all good. We we just trying to do our part for the sake of drifting.

In all fairness to Mr. Goodwin and Driven Events, their goal was to add "a all-new entertainment component that sets it apart from any other drifting series in the U.S." That quote is straight from the D1GP website.

From that standpoint, they did that magnificently. There was entertainment like no other drifting event before.

Maybe that's where the problems began. Just too much content to properly and efficiently produce.

Rather than cater the event to the loyal fans of D1 and drifting fans in general, they catered to everyone else and their mothers.

But like always, it always comes down to the $$$$$$$$$.

Did they attract enough people out there to turn a huge profit? I think so.

Did they lose many loyal D1 fans in the process? I think so, too.

Like I stated earlier, the new management of D1 should just change their name and omit D1 from it. Rather than creating a competitive series, they should just focus on a exhibition series featuring the J drivers. This format will definitely succeed in the US.

The name D1GP just carries too much expectations along with it.

Holding a competive series in the US and not having the top drivers of the US competing is not competiton. That's "PROS vs JOES."

I am going to copyright "HOT IMPORT DAYS" right now.

Last edited by OldSkool510; 05-05-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #73
OldSkool510

Everyone is complaining about the event as a whole, but how about the drifting?

I thought the drifting was great. It would have been awesome to see the top FD guys compete in this thing, though.

Did anyone see any FD drivers at the event? I saw Forsberg and Ken Gushi.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #74
ALI's DRIFT GARAGE

Thank you

Hey guys, we are reading this thread and I wanted to let you know that we appreciate all of the feedback. We are taking into account your opinions and experiences and will be meeting soon to discuss all of it.
ALI's DRIFT GARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #75
Bebop

Send a message via AIM to Bebop
Quote:
Everyone is complaining about the event as a whole, but how about the drifting?

I thought the drifting was great. It would have been awesome to see the top FD guys compete in this thing, though.

Did anyone see any FD drivers at the event? I saw Forsberg and Ken Gushi.

The drifting it self was kinda on the boring side until we got up to the final 4. Wang and Kumo had the battle of the year so far. The battle of the giants Ueno VS Saito was great. They should of had a 3rd place match between wang and Ueno.

Saito vs Ueno needed a OMT badly!!!

I only saw Hiro for a few moments....

WHAT HAPPEND TO IMMAMURA???
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: