Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont think they spent nearly that much on the rwd integra conversion

Comment

i think the rwd integra was like a differencial thing....like the changed the angle of the differenscial and put in a rear axle and threw on a drive shaft basicly...took out the fron drive stuff of coarse

but point being this would most likely be easier bc there is much less cutting that needs to be dont to the floors with the absance of the huge trani and bell housing and such i thought i heard they were going to try and comeout with a convertion kit of some sort for the integra and a few other cars but i could be wrong on all of this so dont quote me

Comment

a kit would be cool, but it couldn't have everything you need. There is a lot of custom fab. needed for that kinda job. cheapest way to do it would be to remount the engine longitudinal like a rwd, which means you would need to custom re-mount the engine, if it will even fit that way with the subframe, and then find a rwd car that's similar in suspension or shape. If you swapped a full rx-7 FC rear end w/ suspension and managed to mount it, you would just need a custom length driveshaft to link to your tranny. but, you would need to find a rwd tranny for that with a mounting bracket to be able to mount it to your engine, then if you pieced the front end back together with everything minus the front driveshafts (obviously), your front end may be ok like it is. not positive, so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

Comment

I would probably cost more then 100 grand now that I think about it. you are going to have to basicly redesign the entire car. you would need to compleatly strip the car down and start at the frame (the factory frame would not be to weak.) probably design and build a tube frame and then mate the body to the new frame. you would need a donor car, and just swap all the parts right over, power train, you could use the suspension if you wanted to save dome doh.
          not only is there alot of mechanic work, but also alot of engineering work as well. because of parts, labor, and time this thing will get expensive quick. if you really want a drift car, buy an 86 or S13.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood
            you might concider just cutting the maximas body off the chasis and just welding it onto a chasis of your liking, that will match up of course.

maxima=unibody=no

Comment

retarded to teh Xtreme!! just wait til your out of highschool and buy a real rwd.

Comment

The RWD Integra was considerably easier, the Integra and Civic floorpan is used in a modified form on the AWD CR-V, thus they used the CR-V drivetrain without the front drive. Not exactly straightforward, but not as hugely difficult as custom-fabbing the lot. There was actually a factory AWD Integra 4-door in Japan, but this used the ancient 1980s Civic Wagon drivetrain. That old transmission is estimated to hold 90bhp tops before things start going bang, so it's not feasible to use for a drift 'Teg.

Comment

[factory AWD Integra 4-door in Japan, but this used the ancient 1980s Civic Wagon drivetrain. That old transmission is estimated to hold 90bhp tops before things start going bang, so it's not feasible to use for a drift 'Teg.[/QUOTE]

kinda off topic but did u know they made a AWD corolla wagon sr5

i wanna buy one....so many things run through my brain when i hear "wagon" and "AWD"...

Comment

I wrote this before: its pretty typical to any AWD car:
                    "Theres a lot more than just removing the front driveshaft. You would have to removed the front driveshaft, axles, and differential. Then you would have to find someway to "lock" the center diff so not all the power goes out the front as how it would typically (since there is less resistance with no tires, driveshaft, axles, etc). You would probably have to weld the spider gears into a solid mass."

If anyone remembers Sport Compact Car had an article about a RWD wrx. Basically what they did was swap out the center diff for another one that would transfer power just to the rear wheels. Apparently a mechanic could swap it out in 15-30 min. Then you would remove the front axles to prevent any damage. Somehow I can find this product anywhere.

Comment

i think it was made by design craft fabrication, but i'm not positive.

Comment

Actually, I read somewhere that the 2F2F BNR34 Skyline was RWD, they didn't bother doing a proper job (RB25 gearbox, oil pan, etc), they just got rid of the front axle and changed the centre diff, as with that WRX.

Speaking of the old Corolla wagon, I'd love the similar Tercel wagon with some sort of crazy A-series in it, eg. a 20V 7A-GZTE, just for the hilarity of a 400bhp+ FWD 80s wagon, as the AWD would never handle it (it had something along the lines of a 60bhp 3A in the Tercel IIRC). That's about the only reason I would buy an old Toyota wagon in fact. :P

Comment

Originally posted by pez2k
                          Actually, I read somewhere that the 2F2F BNR34 Skyline was RWD, they didn't bother doing a proper job (RB25 gearbox, oil pan, etc), they just got rid of the front axle and changed the centre diff, as with that WRX.

Speaking of the old Corolla wagon, I'd love the similar Tercel wagon with some sort of crazy A-series in it, eg. a 20V 7A-GZTE, just for the hilarity of a 400bhp+ FWD 80s wagon, as the AWD would never handle it (it had something along the lines of a 60bhp 3A in the Tercel IIRC). That's about the only reason I would buy an old Toyota wagon in fact. :P
                          I actually heard the mid to late 80's camry AWD wagons are popular for the 3S-GTE conversion.

Anyone have a website for design craft fabrication?

Comment

The 83-90 Camry used variants of the 1S, 2S and 3S so it wouldn't be too hard a swap.

Comment

Originally posted by pez2k

Dont remember reading the dif thing but i do know they removed the axles, i read an article not too long ago of a magazine company who actualy tested the movie cars. They removed the axles so it would slide easier- i guess after all it just needs to look good on film.

The cars they used in the movie were generally beat up, the best was the plastic covering they had on the supra which kept melting, they eventualy ripped it off and described it as a suph'ocating rabbit melting into a pool of something (or along the sorts). The fastest car they actualy tested was the muscle car (Forget which), just below it was the sk2 (which preformed just below what a stock s2k was rated at)

Comment

I almost forgot something else really important. If you do want to change your AWD to RWD you have to realize that since you are transfering ALL of your power through a drivetrain that usually takes only half of the power, you need too beef up some of those parts, specifically the driveshaft. You'll probably have to take the ends of the original and weld them to a thicker driveshaft, probably something from either a RWD 4 or 6-cyl (8-cyl might be overkill).

Onto another subject. I read in a offset import car magazine (not Super Street, SCC, Modified or Turbo, the cover had a beautiful pacific girl with a green 240sx HB) where they had a R32 GT-R Skyline with somesort of transmission that you could switch from RWD to AWD at the flick of a switch. Anyone heard of this? If not ill get to the article when i get back home from Atlanta.

Comment

Working...
                                X