ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"DRIFT TRUCK" Im gonna Do It!!! Goods and Bads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it's only .02 I think you can get away with new rings, but I'm not 100% on that. Only head work I really have any experience is with big singles on bikes, and generally with those you just have them re-sleaved. You might want to make a post in a more technical oriented forum to get a more realistic answer than 'I think' though

Sorry I couldn't be more help on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
      If it's only .02 I think you can get away with new rings, but I'm not 100% on that. Only head work I really have any experience is with big singles on bikes, and generally with those you just have them re-sleaved. You might want to make a post in a more technical oriented forum to get a more realistic answer than 'I think' though

Sorry I couldn't be more help on that.
      I'm going to ask my machine shop guy tomorrow. The great thing about working in an old, independent NAPA dealer, a Machine Shop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
        I'm going to ask my machine shop guy tomorrow. The great thing about working in an old, independent NAPA dealer, a Machine Shop!
        Need pistons and rings if I have to bore to .020." Still, not bad and am getting the engine.

However there is some bad news to report. I will not be having a radio show, the station is under new (well old) ownership and it will be a month at the earliest, if at all considering the format the station will be under (soul music). There may be another option (internet "radio"), but will have to see.

The truck is still going to be built, despite this.

Comment

• Got my KA24DE today! 7 hours drive time total to get it, but worth it.

Comment

• Most of the '91 Pathfinder front end is on now!

Straight bolt on affair, no snags or anything!

I've also gotten some rather different ideas, as well. Considering the love I have for pre-runner trucks and the need to stand out in drifting, I started thinking. What if I installed a pre-runner front bumper and skid plate, spare wheel holder (removing the tail gate), installed off-road lights (half of the strobes, the others as off road lights), kept it low, and gave it an "Urban Camo" paint scheme, this could be a very intimidating looking truck. I would also use fitting tires instead of stretched tires, too.

Now, when I'd take it to a Time Attack or any other real downforce type racing, the tail gate would be back on and would have a different front bumper.

I'll start to concept it tonight, along with the bolt-in roll cage I have in my head.

Comment

• looks preety sweet so far.
              how much money has it cost you so far?

Comment

• Originally posted by driftbOx View Post
                looks preety sweet so far.
                how much money has it cost you so far?
                At this point it's like this (does not include gas or taxes, and I work at NAPA):

'87 Hardbody $300
                S14 KA24DE $70
                '91 Pathfinder front clip $200
                Megasquirt I V2.2 $140
                Wiring $55
                GoPro Hero Cam $80
                Innovative LC-1 $149
                Bosch Wideband 02 sensor $40
                Oil and Filter for Z24i $25
                Upper and lower radiator hose $20
                Reman'ed Water Pump for Z24i $20
                Belt $10
                Battery $FREE
                Various Bits (metal, screws, etc.) $75

Total thus far: $1193

Comment

• Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
                  At this point it's like this (does not include gas or taxes, and I work at NAPA):

'87 Hardbody $300
                  S14 KA24DE $70
                  '91 Pathfinder front clip $200
                  Megasquirt I V2.2 $140
                  Wiring $55
                  GoPro Hero Cam $80
                  Innovative LC-1 $149
                  Bosch Wideband 02 sensor $40
                  Oil and Filter for Z24i $25
                  Upper and lower radiator hose $20
                  Reman'ed Water Pump for Z24i $20
                  Belt $10
                  Battery $FREE
                  Various Bits (metal, screws, etc.) $75

Total thus far: $1193

hahah holy crap!

whered you you find a KA24DE for 70 bucks??
                  does it work fine

Comment

• Dude I can't wait for you to finish this thing!...When its done Im totally posting about it on my site

Comment

• Originally posted by driftbOx View Post
                      hahah holy crap!

whered you you find a KA24DE for 70 bucks??
                      does it work fine
                      Well, technically, I traded my VG30Es (which I paid $70) for it. A little honing, and it should be alright for another 100K miles.

Originally posted by MonkeySlide
                      Dude I can't wait for you to finish this thing!...When its done Im totally posting about it on my site
                      Wow, um, don't know what to say. I wouldn't have thought this project would be that impressive. I know I have some pretty high expectations for it, especially for the dual personality it will have (mean, intimidating drifter; purposeful, all business time attacker, yes meaning it will look one way drifting and another tracking). I'm still conceptualizing the drift look, once that's done, I'll start the time attack concept. I'll let you in a little more, though:

"(Drifting, it will) look like a lowered Pre-Runner, lights and all with a dash of intimidating attitude and (when in Time Attack) looking kind of like the Pikes Peak Tacoma, Aero wise. Eight bolts and the front bumper and skid plate comes off, several bolts back on and the aerodynamic front end, splitter, and flat bottom front end go on. There will also be an areo cap on the rear for track racing along with a rear wing spoiler."

Comment

• GREAT NEWS! My radio show premiers tonight on WHAP 1340AM (whap1340am.com) at 6pm EST! Be listening!

Comment

• How to set up rear end

You will have problems with the unsprung weight being so much heavier than the sprung weight in the rear. To offset this, you will need to run more rebound resistnce on your rear shocks. You may even have to run more rebound resistance on the inside rear tire than the outside rear tire in order to maintain a drift into some difficult turns. You could also move the radiator to the rear, which would help to balance the sprung to unsprung weight ratio.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleDrifter View Post
                            You will have problems with the unsprung weight being so much heavier than the sprung weight in the rear. To offset this, you will need to run more rebound resistnce on your rear shocks. You may even have to run more rebound resistance on the inside rear tire than the outside rear tire in order to maintain a drift into some difficult turns. You could also move the radiator to the rear, which would help to balance the sprung to unsprung weight ratio.
                            I would rather not move the radiator to the rear because of how much of a pain in the rear it would be to remove the air from the coolant, but if it can be done and not be as bad as I think, I might do it. Airflow and a strong enough water pump that will work with the KA24DE would be my other two concerns.

I am, however, am looking at moving the battery to the rear and maybe add a "redundant" battery, I haven't decided yet.

**EDIT**
                            Since you posted this, ideas have been flowing in my head on how to get a rear mounted radiator to work. I'm close to finalizing an idea... Me and my crazy ideas....
                            Last edited by Justin Banner; 04-11-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Gah, never got to anything this week. Been busy with the radio station. Since we have the Baltimore Orioles games, I'm going to be engineering the Friday games after my show. Saturday, I'm going to tear down the KA24DE block for hot tanking and honing. My dad is using the shop all weekend so no work on the truck (unless it's really nice, then we'll see).

I'm also working on Video diaries for the show and build, so be looking for them soon!

BTW: I am going to do the rear mounted radiator! Before I do, will the KA's water pump be enough for that?

Comment

• Small update, the truck's new primary mission: Drifting and AutoX. Psycho Racing now has a Sidekick 4-door to race in Time Attack, so now I don't have to worry with creating multiple aerodynamic parts to remove and take off. So, Hardslider is now just a Drift-Runner.

Bought some 16" GM wheels, but I'll have to machine the centers out.

Don't worry, I'm not keeping the tires, or maybe.....

Anyhow, here is the center of the Nissan Wheel

Not much to take off.

Also, I'm going to save a bit of money and try something a bit different. Instead of going out right away and getting custom spindles, I'm going to get a 4WD center link. As you can kind of see here:

The idler and Pitman arms connect away from the outer tie-rod. The 4WD centerlink:

has the OTRs connect right with the Idler/Pitman arms. My theory is that it will be just like adding spacers to the outer tie-rod of a Rack-And-Pinion setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X